Classic vs. Classic-2

The PV-1 to now...
RobertaZ
Regular
Regular

Classic vs. Classic-2

Post by RobertaZ »

I have an opportunity to buy a Classic at a nice price and am hoping that someone can explain what upgrades or modifications were included in the newer Classic-2 model.

Roberta

(first timer here)
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: Classic vs. Classic-2

Post by joeinid »

Welcome to the forum Roberta.
RobertaZ
Regular
Regular

Post by RobertaZ »

Anyone?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Roberta,
First, let me welcome you to the site. It's nice to have you.

I myself am not sure of the difference. Maybe sending an email to Conrad Johnson or giving them a call may answer your question. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
eagle6014
Pro
Pro

Post by eagle6014 »

The Classic uses a pair of M8080 tubes. The Classic 2 uses a single 6922 tube. But other than that, they are very similar. Pat
Spearit Sound has the specs so you can open two windows and compare them side by side if ya like. Pat
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Roberta,

If you haven't already checked the Spearit Sound web site this is what they have to say in part about the Classic SE :

conrad johnson introduces the Classic 2 SE. The controls, features, and basic circuitry remain the same as the Classic 2, but the sonics benefit from strategic parts upgrades. Specifically, series resistors in the line stage are replaced with Vishay metal-foil resistors, and polypropylene by- pass capacitors (on the output coupling capacitors and regulated power supply capacitors) are replaced with CJD Teflon capacitors. The Classic SE 2 phono stage gets similar parts upgrades to the line stage circuit. The sonic performance improvement is immediately noticeable as higher resolution, finer gradations in dynamics, purer transients, and increased weight and body in the sound. It all adds up to a very nice improvement, making the Classic SE a near state of the art contender at a very reasonable price. Owners of the standard versions can also have the upgrades performed on their units.

I know what the C1 Teflon capacitor upgrade did to the sound quality of my Premier 140 power amp and it's very much in line with how Spearit says the SE differs from the stock version. If the Classic or Classic SE is what you have in mind and can swing the $500 price differential, I don't think you'd be disappointed going with the SE version

Regards,
Joe

http://www.spearitsound.com/Stereo_Prea ... rettyPhoto
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
RobertaZ
Regular
Regular

Post by RobertaZ »

Thanks for the info, but I was looking for the differences between the Classic and Classic-2, not the Classic-2 SE.

I sent the following email to CJ:

"To: service@conradjohnson.com
Subject: Classic 2 vs. Classic-2 preamp

I know that the Classic implements two tubes, which are Mullard 8080s and the Classic-2 uses a 6922 for both channels. Are there any other differences between the two preamps?"

..and got the following response:

"No, there are no other differences, both use the same parts quality components."
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Sorry, Roberta. So much for my reading comprehension skills. :oops:
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets