Which is the keeper? PV-1A or PV-8A?

The PV-1 to now...
Tbl
Beginner
Beginner

Which is the keeper? PV-1A or PV-8A?

Post by Tbl »

I have a pristine pv1a and it works flawlessly. The other preamp I have is a PV-8A. It is pristine too its power tranny is blown on its primary circuit but re-coiling it is not too expensive to me.

If you have both, and you use it with LP to listen to classical music, which one will you prefer? Why?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Which is the keeper? PV-1A or PV-8A?

Post by admin »

I don't think there is necessarily a "right or wrong" answer to this question. Personally, I would probably go with the PV8 as it is a newer machine compared to the PV1. Some components may degrade with age (such as caps, etc.) and you get a decade more with the PV8. As purely on the merit of sound, I think it is one of those things that you just have to do a comparison as to which one you like more. I guess aesthetics come into play as well. The PV1 is more "boxy" while the PV8 has the "handle bars."
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
antaresbluespirit
Pro
Pro

Post by antaresbluespirit »

Tbl wrote:I have a pristine pv1a and it works flawlessly. The other preamp I have is a PV-8A. It is pristine too its power tranny is blown on its primary circuit but re-coiling it is not too expensive to me.

If you have both, and you use it with LP to listen to classical music, which one will you prefer? Why?
Hi,

I have been using a PV8 for some years linked with a CJ M60SE amp the combo works great in good balance as well...

The PV8 phono level is sensitive and at this stage it depends of the cartridge to be used with ,either MM or MC

In the MC option the input level is low and need step preamplifier or transformer in accordance to the cells impedance but I assume you know these basics points.

I do not have the PV1 and since you are Lucky to own both units ,the best way is to make a comparison of the final listening results linked to your amp devoted for! (it may be audible right or wrong balance more or less in between )

Raymond
TarnishedEars
Regular
Regular

Post by TarnishedEars »

The PV8 is a difficult preamp to re-tube. Very few 12AU7s will work inside of it. The PV1 will be far more forgiving of the choice of tubes. Both will probably need to have their regulators rebuilt after all of these years, and the PV1 will certainly require a recapping of the power supply.