Another MET1 on the forum - NO problems

The PV-1 to now...
Mr_BT
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Re: Another MET1 on the forum - NO problems

Post by Mr_BT »

Malcolm02,
I got all my tubes from ebay. These are rare items but from time to time pops up. For Mullards 10M paid about $7 each.
In general Mullards are the friendliest of them all but even so they can go noisy or microphonic.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

$7 a piece, nice deal! I should really look on ebay more often for tubes. Nothing wrong with the ones I have but it's always fun to experiment and to have some back up spares. Let us know how they sound.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Malcolm02
Regular
Regular

Post by Malcolm02 »

Mr_BT wrote:Malcolm02,
I got all my tubes from ebay. These are rare items but from time to time pops up. For Mullards 10M paid about $7 each.
In general Mullards are the friendliest of them all but even so they can go noisy or microphonic.
Thanks for the info (but maybe you shouldn't have told me as now you have some competition on ebay :lol: )
Mr_BT
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by Mr_BT »

Don't worry, I'm well supplied for the next couple of years :)

Mullard Master Series 10M represents sound character similar/the same to original Mullards M8080. The ony set of tubes, which sounded quite different was Sylvania Gold Series. These would benefit darker sounding systems.
Mr_BT
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by Mr_BT »

It has been a while since my last post. I still remain in a state of bliss with my MET-1 mod. Tried some more tubes without much success(will post later on).

Being infected with "modifitis" disease (thanks Jeffrey) started looking up and down my audio path components. Going up from MET-1I did quite extensive modification to my Oppo-95 (changing clocks for DACs and Video, separate highly regulated power supplies, fully discreet output stage....).
Going down to my beloved hi-end :oops: $10k amplifiers I got so surprised discovering nasty, cheap, disgusting polarized electrolytic input caps 10uF value each. And all my previous calculations of -3db points went bananas because i ended up with caps in series....and electrolytic Jamicon caps probably taken away most of what I gained with MET-1 output caps upgrade. Also found in this overpriced monstrous amplifiers regulated PSU based in IC LM chips and multiple stages of JRC opamps. The first ones got replaced with Belleson super_regulators feeding very cheap JRC opamps, which got later changed to OPA627 and LM4562 plus some minor audio path capacitors upgrades.

All in all, right now after all the changes the difference become significant. It's completely different sounding system now......

I'
Mr_BT
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by Mr_BT »

Just took adventage of ongoing Soniccraft sale and ordered Sonicap Platinum teflon caps. Very corious and exited :)
Mr_BT
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by Mr_BT »

For whatever reason buffer mosfets for C and L irf710 died. Luckily I had the same type available among my electronics supplies. When I changed R,C,L transistors to other brand (bought it long time ago from digikey) I noticed some sonic changes. More dynamics..... I like it... :D

Next, I'm getting ready with implementing my own tube 2ch preamp based on 6n16b miniature tubes......