CJ Premier 4 Valves

From tubes to solid state.
nick_s
Beginner
Beginner

CJ Premier 4 Valves

Post by nick_s »

Hi All,
Newbie here, so greetings to you all from Birmingham [UK].

Have recently had my beloved CJ Premier 4 power amp serviced as it was persistently blowing o/p valves on one channel.

I'm now looking for a replacement set of matched and tested o/p valves [they're EL34's] to replace the current set of eight which are a bit tired.

The cost of a replacement set from CJ is eye-watering (and probably more than the amp's current value..) so was wondering if any other users have recommendations for reliable suppliers of tested/matched sets of these valves?
Cheers,
Nick
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CJ Premier 4 Valves

Post by admin »

Hi Nick,
Welcome to CJO. I can't give you explicit recommendations as I don't own the Premier 4. However, you may want to go through some of the preamp and amp forums here on CJO as I have seen people talk about buying tubes for their equipment from various sources. I bought a tube last year from CJ, but I agree, the price is a bit high, and there is a large number of tubes in the Premier 4 so I can appreciate the fact that you want to find a more "economic" alternative.

If you have a chance I would love to see some pictures of your setup. Take care.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
nick_s
Beginner
Beginner

Post by nick_s »

Thanks- I'll have a trawl through the forum.
Cheers
Nick
pstrisik
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by pstrisik »

For NOS:
Brent Jessee - www.audiotubes.com/
Brenden Biever - www.tubeworld.com
Michael Marx - www.vacuumtubes.com
www.tctubes.com

www.tubedepot.com and www.thetubestore.com for current production.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Peter

Dennis Had Inspire LP-2 preamp
Dennis Had Inspire KT150 amp
Thorens TD-145 MkII
Restored AR 2ax', Omega Super 7 XRS Alnicos
Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6/DAC Magic +
[/color]
nick_s
Beginner
Beginner

Post by nick_s »

Many thanks pstrisik!
robertk
New User
New User

Post by robertk »

New member here and saw this old thread. I thought I might ad to it, regarding power tubes.

I've had this amp for about 20 years now. Used for midrange only, a Krell ksa 100 handles the bass---which I've had for about 17 or 18 years.

The premier 4 has been re-tubed about 7 or 8 times now. A few were deep sixed pretty quick and some stayed on.

When I bought it, it had just been re-tubed with either japaneese or chineese tubes. I swapped those out later with Sovteks. Then, I think it was winged C. Then JJ, but they were not good at all and did not last 6 months. Electro Harmonix. Why I did that, I don't know and they lasted < JJ. Next, was gold lion kt77 when they first came out and were supposed to be the greatest thing. sounded good, but not as good as winged C. Next was back to the good old winged c.

When it came time to re-tube, I got tired/annoyed at the rising winged C costs and went PSVane Grey bottles. I think they have the best sound I have found so far--at least in my setup and the type of music I listen to---big on dynamics and harmonics.

Problem is failure rates; From all those winged C tubes, I had 1 tube fail. That's a lot of years for a lot of tubes.
2 of the 8 Gold Lions failed and they were cyro'd, etc and like I said earlier "the greatest thing". Come to think of it, who doesn't claim to have great midrange?
Last week, another PSVane flashed. 3 failures now out of 8. Guess I'm lucky I don't have one of those atmospheres or old Audio Research units with the 35 tubes.

The psvanes and the gold lions took out parts when they went. So, another expense to incur. And a consideration. I sure do not recall older tubes with any kind of failure rates at all. Like Mullard or Tungsol or you name it.

At any rate, probably no new tubes for this guy. I've had tube amps--cj and Audio Research for 35 years. The same tube pre-amp for that long. The only equipment failures I've had in 35 years are those tubes listed above. Plus, 1 Cap on the pre-amp. minor power problem Krell. That's it.

I have updated the 5751 to rca commands about 5 or 7 years ago. And about 2 years ago the 6cg7 to some nice old vintage tungsols. Speaking of tungsols---when did they ever disappoint? Those always seem to do a good job but really do not have lets say marquee prices.

I just thought I'd share this and re-tubing through all the years. It is definately a lot of hit and miss and like I said earlier, no tube out there is claiming to have bad bass or a poor or mediocre midrange, are they? Funny, everything is "terrific"
Tommd
Regular
Regular

Post by Tommd »

Hallo , my advise retube them with Tungsol el34b or Tad el34 by far the best and effordable solution.Even with more expensive ones.
Tommd
Regular
Regular

Post by Tommd »

I am a proud cj premier four owner.l