Teac A-H01 USB receiver

Amps, preamps, speakers, cables, and any other Non-CJ products.
eagle6014
Pro
Pro

Teac A-H01 USB receiver

Post by eagle6014 »

One of the last things I wanted to do is get into downloading music. But everything about my playback via the computer was literally non-existent. As much as I want a C-J HD3 dac, dropping $3K on one was just something I was hesitant to do. After many days of soul searching and research I decided to buy a new Teac A-H01 USB receiver. Luckily for me I hoard lots of old cables, old speakers, and other pieces. But let me say that this little amp is nothing short of awesome. Of course good cables n' speakers make it happen. This system I created will body slam anything I have ever heard before in respect to desk top playback systems. So there's the amp, Nordost Blue Heaven LS 1M speaker cables, Legacy mini-monitors c.1996, a Sony SA-WD200 sub, a single Nordost Blue Heaven 1.5M interconnect to the sub, & a Channel Islands XDC a/c filter. I haven't hooked up that sub in many moons & I forgot how powerful it was. It has twin 5.25" long throw woofers hooked to a 250w amp. It also has a variable cross over and independent volume ctrl. Oh the Teac amp has a seperate sub output. You cannot use a big fat honkin' Wattgate IEC cable w/ this unit. The USB input is right next to it and you won't be able to plug it in. I'm using the supplied IEC cable and a generic USB cable for now. Sounds goo as is so I don't think a better power or USB cable is going to make any diff.

After accidently down loading wrong driver for my o.s. it was a breeze to install. When I first played music on it I didn't have the sub on, but w/o a doubt it's necessary for my speakers. At night I'll keep it on the down low so as to not spaz out the rest of the family. Right now I'm breakin' it in playing Pink Floyd's The Wall. I haven't yet down loaded any tunes. I have about 150 of my CDs already copied to the hard drive. And finally if you decide to buy this, plz note that you don;t get a driver disc with it. You have to go to the address they list in the manual. But I hope you can read Japanese b/c that's where they send you. I had to find the driver on the net directly from the English Teac web site. I have no idea why they would do that considering the manual is in English. Anyway, see the pic. Pat
One fine desktop system
One fine desktop system
Fine PC audio.JPG (454.66 KiB) Viewed 333 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Teac A-H01 USB receiver

Post by admin »

Looks very nice. What's also nice is that it supports the higher resolution audio formats which even a lot of high end usb DAC's don't do at this time. This definitely works with small monitor speakers, do you think it could handle larger speakers? I'm worried that the power rating may not be high enough (I think it's rated at 30 W at 8 ohms).
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
eagle6014
Pro
Pro

Re: Teac A-H01 USB receiver

Post by eagle6014 »

It's rated at 25w into 8 ohms and 50w into 4. The speakers I'm using are 8 ohms. But power isn't the issue b/c they're on the desk & I'm sitting right in front of them so they don't have to be loud to sound good. I guess you could use any monitor between 4-8 ohms. Aside from the dac that is new, everything else I already had in my closet of goodies. I had no intention of spending lots of money on "this" project. I'm having fun with it & I'm using this as a learning curve to the next step which is to integrate a USB dac into my c-j system. Now if only I had $3K for the HD3.... (Actually I do, but I'm not ready to give it up yet) Until then.... Pat