Do It Yourself - everything from building your own hardware to room
treatments.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Center Channel Speaker Stand w/ Adjustable Angle

Post by admin »

Center Channel Speaker Stand w/ Adjustable Angle

I decided to do a little project to get my center channel at a better angle, higher off the ground, and have it sit on something a little nicer. I built an adjustable speaker stand and took some pictures. Here are some pictures and if you are interested in making one you can follow the directions below. Hope you find it entertaining as it was for me!

Tools/Supplies Needed:
Wood shelf/plank (1x12x48 inches). I found a 4 ft long shelf piece which had one side with a nice round cut already made. I basically used the round end for all the front and terminating edges which gave it a "fancy" look over a regular square angle. The entire piece only cost $11 at Home Depot.
1 inch round wood bar (just an inch or two)
Table saw
Drill w/ bits
Screws
5 1/2" (1/4" diameter) bolt and hex nut
Wood filler
Sand paper/Sander
Wood Stain
Polyurethane

727.jpg
727.jpg (105.37 KiB) Viewed 17147 times
Here is what the final setup looks like.
Center Speaker Stand Drawing crop.jpg
Center Speaker Stand Drawing crop.jpg (185.77 KiB) Viewed 4059 times
I first started off by making a design so I could see what the relative proportions would be. I also tilted the top to make sure that the support beams would not collide or be too close. You can see that I did mock up of a few width designs. I used a free CAD program called LibreCAD which was very easy to use for a simple design such as this. One thing I did ultimately change during the construction process was to use the long peice of wood for the bottom and the short for the top. I also put a "lip" in the back of the stand to prevent any speaker from sliding off.

667.jpg
667.jpg (145.04 KiB) Viewed 17147 times
All the pieces were cut first.

672.jpg
672.jpg (127.32 KiB) Viewed 17147 times
Drilled all the holes. I didn't want the screws to potentially crack the wood and it made them go in a lot easier. I also sanded down the edges and any rough spots left by the cutting. In this picture you can also see the back "lip" that I added which is already attached to the top piece.

671.jpg
671.jpg (103.62 KiB) Viewed 17147 times
Here are the screws that I used.

673.jpg
673.jpg (201.23 KiB) Viewed 17147 times
Here is the bottom section.

674.jpg
674.jpg (131.25 KiB) Viewed 17147 times
And the top.

721.jpg
721.jpg (105.33 KiB) Viewed 17147 times
Bottom with screws.

722.jpg
722.jpg (117.93 KiB) Viewed 17147 times
I sunk the screws about 1/8" inch down and filled it with wood filler as I didn't want any metal exposed.

724.jpg
724.jpg (107.88 KiB) Viewed 17147 times
After a coat of wood stain and a few coats of polyurethane. I used a 5 1/2" long 1/4" bolt with hex nut to push through the center hole. I adjusted it to proper angle and then just tightened it up so it would be nice and secure. I cut two 1" diameter round wood pieces to cover up the metal on either side.

725.jpg
725.jpg (106.82 KiB) Viewed 17147 times
Here is the close up of the assembly.

726.jpg
726.jpg (109.23 KiB) Viewed 17147 times
And all ready for listening!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
jackel
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Center Channel Speaker Stand w/ Adjustable Angle

Post by jackel »

I wanted to let you know this was really helpful. It's so hard to find center channel stand like this one. Thanks to you I will be building my own. :D
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My pleasure, it was a fun build. I would love to see some pics when your done.

I agree that it is really hard to find a suitable center channel stand. I looked all over and really couldn't find what I was looking for. Best of luck.

PS- if you plan on designing it first in a CAD program I can send you the Librecad files if you would like.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
jackel
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jackel »

Thanks for the offer, but the dimensions of your drawing are exactly what I need. I will definitely post some pictures ones it's done.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No problem. Also, just be aware that I ended up using the bottom and top width measurements reversed. In other words, the floor base is wider than the top. In my original design this was reversed.
-admin
jackel
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jackel »

Yes, I notice on your diagram. This was a genius idea...I completed the project over the weekend. I use cheap pine still had to pay 20 dollars for it, I also use black stain & polyurethane in 1 step. Here's the completed project. I will be attaching some spikes to the button to lift it off the carpet.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wow, that looks great! Awesome job. The coloring matches well with the speaker and wall paint. Also, just having that perfect shelf width to match the speaker makes it look that much better. $20 for wood is a really good deal. Similar speaker stands go for hundreds of dollars so the savings is really amazing. Once again, great job.
-admin
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Here's my old CC-speaker stand

Post by jeffreybehr »

Speaker is a Vandersteen VCC-1, much improved with better parts in the x-over. I removed and drilled the bottom plate to attach the stand.
Can't remember which wood this is, I know it's light.

Here's the same stand under an Eminent Technology [much improved, of course... ;) ...] LFT-12 CC speaker.

FWIW, the ET speaker sounds better with open-baffle speakers in the main positions, while the V'steen sounds better with front-radiator ('normal') speakers in the main positions, so I've kept both CC speakers to be available as I switch my main speakers.
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
gricks
New User
New User

Post by gricks »

Just an FYI, I signed up to the forum just to thank you for your plans.

I do have 2 questions.
1. did you use a drill press to get all the holes to line up?
2. I found the mounting of the pieces of wood in the middle of the platforms a bit difficult. I was curious how you did that. Did you drill the holes in the platform first, and then mark the wood, or...

Also, I found the exact pieces of wood you were talking about. It is easier to find if you ask where the Stair Treads are. I went for a red oak instead and will be trying a dark espresso stain.

Thanks again!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Welcome to the site, it's nice to have you with us!

As for your questions:

1) I didn't use a drill press and just did it free hand after measuring and marking the holes. I admit that with a drill press it would have been easier.

2) One thing that you can do is to glue the small base attachment pieces together and secure it with a clamp. Then drill a center hole on the base and the center base attachment piece. Put a screw to hold it in place. Then you can drill holes through the base with the stand upside down and then put some screws in. Just a suggestion if you are worried about alignment.

If you have time maybe you can post some pictures, I would love to see how your turned out.
-admin