Amppad for ET250S

Do It Yourself - everything from building your own hardware to room
treatments.
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Amppad for ET250S

Post by jeffreybehr »

My woodworker-friend got all those sticks cut and glued and I took the 4 resulting slabs to Woodworkers Source to be surface sanded. One has a bit of 'potato-chip' dish and it'll be only about 1/2" (12 - 13mm) thick when finished. All these now are 13/16" (21mm) thick and after sanding flat, the other 3 will be about 3/4" (19mm) thick. The finished pad will be 20" (c. 51cm) wide by 16" (c. 41cm) deep.

Here are the 4 slabs. The epi is on the left with the goncalo alves on the right. Both of these woods are about 60% heavier than the hard maple that's often used for amppads, but I don't like maple because it rings so audibly in the midrange; I call it a 'high-Q' wood.

Goncalo on the top and epi on the bottom.

I'll use SoundCoat the Thicker...
http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info. ... -gp-p-4620
...on the bottom and even 2 layers and probably one on the top hidden under the amp--I HATE... :evil: :evil: ...ringing platforms and shelves. Haven't yet decided to glue all-4 layers together or separate the 4 with 3 interleaves of thick SoundCoat. Or glue 2 and 2 together and separate those 2 layers with one of SoundCoat; I suppose I'll decide based on how the individual slabs ring--or not. Will use three of the inexpensive, plain, 2-1/2"-tall, 3/8"-thread spikes from Michael Percy...
http://percyaudio.com/Catalog.pdf
...bottom of page 18...
...on the bottom to couple the pad to the concrete floor. These spikes are a super value--only $7.50 per quad! The entire pad should weigh over 35 pounds before SoundCoat.

And speaking of spikes, how's this one?

This monster is 3" (76mm) diameter and about 3-1/2" (87mm) tall (plus stud) and weighs 1 pound, 4 ounces (563 grams)! A friend loaned it to me to see if I wanted to use it on my amppad...but it's just...TOO...BIG! If anyone would like to have a couple-dozen (or fewer) of these, e-mail me at jeffreybehr@cox.net.

More pics as we progress.

Ain't these obsessions fun?
Last edited by jeffreybehr on Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Retrieved the sanded slabs and bought another stick...

Post by jeffreybehr »

...for facing. The sanded slabs look rather dull, and they are now, and these pics are more colorful than the wood is.

Here are these excellent, very low-priced spikes from Michael Percy.

More later.
Last edited by jeffreybehr on Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Retrieved the sanded slabs and bought another stick...

Post by admin »

jeffreybehr wrote:...for facing. The sanded slabs look rather dull,
Gonna disagree with you. The wood looks amazing just unfinished like that. Can't wait to see the final outcome. How hard is the wood, just be careful if it's soft as you don't want equipment to leave a mark on the surface? Putting a 100 lb amp on soft wood can leave a dent.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jeffreybehr »

admin wrote:
jeffreybehr wrote:...for facing. The sanded slabs look rather dull,
Gonna disagree with you. The wood looks amazing just unfinished like that. Can't wait to see the final outcome. How hard is the wood, just be careful if it's soft as you don't want equipment to leave a mark on the surface? Putting a 100 lb amp on soft wood can leave a dent.
Don't know exactly how hard it is, but it's 'hardwood', so it'll be hard enough. I always use Herbies Tenderfeet anyway; they're pretty soft.

I haven't yet chosen which will be the top layer, but I think it'll be one of the darker ones made of ipe. I think I'll glue and screw two pairs of slabs together to make two thicker slabs and then glue those together with a slab of SoundCoat the Thicker between them. Then after it's finished, I'll probably add a layer of SC to the top, beneath and within the boundary of the amp and also a layer on the bottom--I HATE ringing amppads.

BTW, can you move these last-3 notes to my 'Amppad for ET250S' thread...
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=803
...please? I put it in the wrong place.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jeffreybehr wrote: BTW, can you move these last-3 notes to my 'Amppad for ET250S' thread...
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=803
...please? I put it in the wrong place.[/size]
I moved the posts as requested. I also moved the entire topic to the "DIY, mods, tweaks" section of the forum as a project like this can be used for other equipment and is not CJ amp specific. Hope you agree. I can't wait to see the final outcome. Your wood choice is great. I posted about my center channel speaker stand project and now I regret going with simple Home Depot wood shelf wood when now I see these great exotic wood options.

I don't know why, but I love the look of the goncalo alves wood. Have you thought of using that as the top layer? It's just so gorgeous. Of course it's going to depend on the aesthetics of the rest of the room and furniture, but boy that looks great!
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Re: Amppad for ET250S

Post by jeffreybehr »

OK, Mr. Admin, I did as you requested and chose a side of the goncalo alves as the top.

Should have the 2 double-thick layers glued together with 2 layers of SoundCoat the Thicker between them. The stick on the left--of epi--is part of the facing which will be attached only to the top double-slab and 3 sides but not the rear--and NOT the bottom double-slab. This stuff looks even better and really good when stained lightly with WATCO Danish Staining Oil (dark walnut).
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Looks great. The wood grain is just beautiful.
-admin
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jeffreybehr »

While waiting for the glued facings to dry hard, my friend planed the top of the bottom slab so that the top and bottom wouldn't wobble when stacked. This surface will be sanded before the SoundCoat goes on it.

I'll apply a layer of SoundCoat to the bottom of the top and the top of the bottom and then glue those together...and I might use 3 layers...but probably not. When it's all glued together, probably I'll apply a layer to the bottom and maybe to the top, under the amp which will hide it.
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

More progress

Post by jeffreybehr »

The faces are attached to the top doublelayer, and the bottom doublelayer is cut to the correct size. (The faces do not touch the bottom doublelayer.) The top half of the top doublelayer is goncalo alves; the faces are ipe.

Here's the bottom doublelayer lying loosely inside its cavity and showing the gap between it and the bottom of the facing.

And here are the spike inserts standing where they'll be installed--two spikes at the rear for the heavy power transformer and one in front.

Probably later today I'll cut the sheets of SoundCoat and attach a layer to each of the two doublelayers; Phil will then glue and clamp the two double layers together. I imagine I'll rub some finish on it tomorrow. :)
Last edited by jeffreybehr on Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Coming along great. What kind of finish are you planning to use?

I just refinished some furniture in my home and used some Howard brand finish http://www.howardproducts.com/prod-restor-a-finish.php, in mahogany. I also put on a coat of "Feed-N-Wax" from them http://www.howardproducts.com/prod-feed-n-wax.php as well. It came out really nice. I bought it from Home Depot and it really did a nice job with bringing out the color and the grain of the old furniture (probably about 70 year old mahogany) and gave it a nice shine.
-admin
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jeffreybehr »

admin wrote:Coming along great. What kind of finish are you planning to use?

I just refinished some furniture in my home and used some Howard brand finish http://www.howardproducts.com/prod-restor-a-finish.php, in mahogany. I also put on a coat of "Feed-N-Wax" from them http://www.howardproducts.com/prod-feed-n-wax.php as well. It came out really nice. I bought it from Home Depot and it really did a nice job with bringing out the color and the grain of the old furniture (probably about 70 year old mahogany) and gave it a nice shine.

WATCO Danish Oil Finish, in both Dark Walnut and Cherry. It's a linseed-oil-based stain and is quite easy to use (or I couldn't handle it!)--just wet a cloth and wipe it on, add more oil to the cloth, and keep wiping. Eventually one has rubbed in--distributed--all the wetter (shiny) spots of oil, and then one wipes off the excess with a clean cloth and lets it set for a half-day or so. Because it's not a surface sealant, one can add more later and even change 'color' in the process. For instance, I'll apply cherry initially to the ipe facings to get it looking a little more like the goncalo and then use walnut on the entire piece.

I use Howard Feed-n-Wax as a furniture polish on furniture--including amppads--that's not been surface sealed; it does indeed work very well.
Last edited by jeffreybehr on Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

It's about 98% finished

Post by jeffreybehr »

I applied the layers of SoundCoat to the two surfaces. Phil then sprayed those two surfaces with contact adhesive...
...we slid the two halves together, and clamped them.

Here's some detail on the rear showing the gap created by the SoundCoat.

My goodbuddy Phil is very happy to see his end of this completed.

I'll have it tomorrow to stain. Because the ipe facings are so brown and not at all reddish, I'll apply WATCO cherry to the facings before I apply dark walnut to the entire piece. I'll be under the '250 probably Sunday. :mrgreen:
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Finished!

Post by jeffreybehr »

...as in the staining oil has been applied to the pad. If I may say so myself, I'm thrilled with how it looks.
I rubbed some WATCO Cherry on the ipe faces before I rubbed WATCO Dark Walnut on everything. Using the two different stains on the two woods reddened slightly the light-and-dark-brown ipe and then darkened and accentuated the grain of the much-lighter-but-already-reddish goncalo alves.

More pics here...
http://s89.photobucket.com/user/jeffrey ... t=3&page=1

Tomorrow I'll rub some Howard Feed-N-Wax Wood Preserver on it and install it. Without spikes, it weighs 40 pounds (c. 18.2kg) . :shock:

AND...thumped on top or bottom with a now-slightly-tender knuckle, it's acoustically deader than a proverbial doornail! :mrgreen:
Last edited by jeffreybehr on Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

How much? :)
-admin
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jeffreybehr »

admin wrote:How much? :)

How much what?
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: Finished!

Post by Joe Appierto »

jeffreybehr wrote:If I may say so myself, I'm thrilled with how it looks.
''

You should be, Jeffrey, it came out beautifully.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
C-J CA200
Polk T50
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6, Kimber IC, Q-Audio SC, Blue Circle and Acrolink power cords; PSA Juice Bar and Duet PLC
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jeffreybehr wrote:

How much what?
I was jokingly suggesting I want to buy it off of you as they looks so nice. Seriously, they look 100% professional (and then some). If my rack had room for me to put that in there I would totally be wanting them in my system. They look amazing!
-admin
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jeffreybehr »

admin wrote:
jeffreybehr wrote:
How much what?
[/size]
I was jokingly suggesting I want to buy it off of you as they looks so nice. Seriously, they look 100% professional (and then some). If my rack had room for me to put that in there I would totally be wanting them in my system. They look amazing!
ahh...how 'bout $1299? Plus shipping, of course. ;) ... And there's only one, so it's an 'it', not a 'they'.

Got it rubbed with Howard's this aft and into the musicroom tonite, but I'm too tired to do anything with it.