Do you use a Media Catalog system?

Anything you can hear or see.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do you use a Media Catalog system?

Post by admin »

I was wondering if other users use any database or online catalog systems for their media. I use a number of them.

I actually don't use one for CD's or Vinyl as I simply don't have such a "huge" collection (a few hundred), and I know where my favorites are located.

My digital media is automatically cataloged by my media player (winamp) which is critical as there are about 17,000 tracks on there.

For my laserdiscs (about 800 or so) I use http://www.LDDB.com. This is a must as it takes forever to find them or choose a title without the list.

For blu-rays I use http://www.Blu-Ray.com for cataloging my owned Blu-ray's as well as ones I have rented and watched.

For my old collection of DVD's which I rarely watch, I have an "excel" sheet which I store on my google docs acount.

I would be interested in hearing what system other people are using?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Animal
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: Do you use a Media Catalog system?

Post by Animal »

I keep an .xls file of all the stuff on my hard drives. I even update that thing every now and again.....

The physical media is alphabetized, which leads to The Great Contradiction between humans and computers. As an example, my physical copies of John Coltrane would be found under "C", if you searched my hard drive you would find him under "J", as I have no taste for inserting commas into artist names.

There are some organizational exceptions. There are always exceptions. I keep all the Christmas music together in one folder, and Frank Zappa is found under "Z", because he owns that letter.

The computer has to be logical, I do not.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have noticed that my LP and CD collection has been slowly growing. At this point I don't have issues finding titles, but I could definitely see this changing in the future as my collection grows. I was thinking of using http://www.discogs.com/ as my music cataloging service. Does anybody have any experience with this service? Is there something better out there? It seems like this has the largest database which would be important for some of the older and more obscure vinyl titles.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I started cataloging my music on www.discogs.com. It seems like their database is quite large but not complete with all the fields as I was trying to enter my CD's by UPC code and about 20% were not found. Oh well.
-admin