Hi from East Bay, CA

Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
Puma Cat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Hi from East Bay, CA

Post by Puma Cat »

Hi folks, just joined after a friend recommended this site to me.

Some background – professional scientist by profession: Molecular Biologist with a background in human molecular genetics and diagnostics. Also a Six Sigma and Design for Six Sigma Black Belt. Spent a lot of time in my scientific career developing molecular (DNA-based) tests for genetic diseases, e.g. Cystic Fibrosis, Fragile X Syndrome. Worked in corporate biotech my entire career. These days I spend my work teaching scientists and engineers in biotech how to do better science, how to do better experimental design and how to gain more insight based on (statistically valid) analysis of their data. I teach stuff like Measurement Systems Analysis, ANOVA, Design of Experiments (aka DOE, a VERY powerful analytical technique), hypothesis testing, and all that other Six Sigma stuff.

Have a had lot of hobbys/obsessions: trained for 10 years as a classical ballet dancer, then after "retiring" from that, took up motorcycle roadracing at Sears Point Raceway in Northern California. Also a photographer, and for the last 14 years, have been an accredited professional motorsports photojournalist, including track photographer at Laguna Seca and Sonoma Raceways.

Been in and out of high-end a number of times; been back in seriously since 2008. I presently listen to a Conrad-Johnson all-tube based amplification chain with Dyanudio loudspeakers: CT-5 preamp and LP70S power amplifier. Sources are vinyl (Michell/SME V turntable) and digital files streamed from a music server to a Sonore microRendu, to a Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC. The system is powered by Shunyata power distribution and power cables, Audioquest Colorado & Columbia interconnects and Diamond USB cables.

I listen primarily to Hard Bop jazz, vocals, and classical. Not much rock these days anymore.

Cheers,
Stephen aka Puma Cat
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: Hi from East Bay, CA

Post by Joe Appierto »

Welcome, Stephen. :)
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
C-J CA200
Polk T50
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6, Kimber IC, Q-Audio SC, Blue Circle and Acrolink power cords; PSA Juice Bar and Duet PLC
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Welcome to the site, it's nice to have you with us!

That is one good looking system! Very nice.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Puma Cat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Puma Cat »

Joe Appierto wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:13 am Welcome, Stephen. :)
Thanks, Joe. I know you from another forum...it is AA or Head-Fi or someplace else?
Puma Cat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Puma Cat »

admin wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:02 am Welcome to the site, it's nice to have you with us!

That is one good looking system! Very nice.
Thanks! Nice to be here.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

It's from Audio Aficionado. That's a really nice looking (and I'm sure sounding) system that you have.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
C-J CA200
Polk T50
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6, Kimber IC, Q-Audio SC, Blue Circle and Acrolink power cords; PSA Juice Bar and Duet PLC