CJ & Maggies

Post your system to the site for everyone to see!
Q3Di
Advanced
Advanced

CJ & Maggies

Post by Q3Di »

IMG_20160122_152030.jpg
IMG_20160122_152030.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 802 times
ET5, TEA2SE, HD3, ET250S, Magnepan3.7
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CJ & Maggies

Post by admin »

Absolutely love it! I use maggies in my setup as well. I find CJ really complements the sound of planar speakers. Really beautiful setup.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey mate,

Great set up, a true classic indeed! Reminds me of the wonderful days back in ribbon land (between 1989 to 2005). Started with the MG3.3, using a PV12 with the MF2300. Then onto a PFR with the Premier 11A and MG3.5. Then bi-amped using both the MF2300 and Prem11A with the MG3.6, and finally onto the MG20. That was the best I had at the time, of course within limits, the prem11A sometimes ran out of steam but only on loud passages, and since I don't listen to loud at all, the Prem11A was beautiful driving the maggies, an absolute stunner. At the end I just preferred driving the entire panels just with the one Prem11A. Overall presentation, soundstage, depth and performance in realism was top-notch!

I bet the overall sonics are quite superb here, specially with your ET5 and ET250S, great choice for ribbons but not good with electrostats.

Just a quick note on my experience having several iterations of maggies; I noticed quite significantly with having the tweeters on the inside, and placing the panels further apart, resulted in a more focused soundstage with good depth and better imaging, especially the center imaging on vocals and small ensembles. You could virtually reach out and touch the performers/musicians. Also, with the panels further apart (& tweeters towards the inside), the highs were more diffused towards the back, and would cancel out better on the back sound wave rather than bounce off the sides or go into infinity since they reach 40kHz and above. With most of my recordings, I noticed the very bright tweeter response compared to the rest of the spectrum, and it was very difficult to tame this with solid state amplification. Hence, when I switched back to tubes and placed the tweeters on the inside (recommended by Steve at magnepan), the overall sound was far more balanced compared to before, and more pleasing & natural to listen to for longer period of time.

However, this is a matter of taste, hence if this current set up works for you, just enjoy it.
Cheers to c-j and maggies!
RJ
jasper
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jasper »

Gat Series 2, Premier 15 phono preamp (all upgrades), Premier 8's (teflon and KT120 upgrades), Maggie 3.7i's Mye stands.......
jasper
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jasper »

[img]
IMG_0333 (1).jpg
IMG_0333 (1).jpg (2.28 MiB) Viewed 770 times
[/img]
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's a thing of beauty! Just wonderful. Congrats.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
jasper
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jasper »

It took me a while to coordinate the resources needed to lug those amps about a hundred miles to my main Maggie system. But am I ever glad i did! Then it took a few days until everything settled down and the sound really kicked in. And what a sound it is...... These amps have an unbelievable grip on the Maggies and have pretty much forced the speakers into submission. The bottom end is luxurious, midrange is warm and lush but with a gorgeous texture and plenty of detail. And the highs are crystal clear and "it just sounds right". I could barely tear myself away last night. :^)
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey Jasper mate,
now that's what I call "one hec of a system!" Definitely true synergy going on here I can say. Had a very similar set up back in the hay day (cj premier 11A with maggies MG3.5) probably the best I ever had and miss to this day. In fact, I do really like these newer iterations such as the MG3.7i, and probably my all time favourite is the MG20.7 with those ART monoblocks and the GAT. The 3.7i is one superb value for panels and beats an awful lot of high-end contenders hands down, in fact it puts so many to shame... no point even mentioning.
I nearly took ownership of a pair last month but certain things took priority with "family" hence I had to simplify. I still do prefer the Quad midrange though, probably the only best midrange one could ever experience from a stat. Apart from that, the maggie bass and highs when controlled properly, especially with cj monoblocks, is just stunning- to me nothing compares to it at that price point. I don't think any high-end dynamic driver comes even close to the speed, flawless accuracy and sheer openness of a full-range ribbon driver.

Each time I listen to the MG3.7i (properly driven) I go completely bananas... then finally when I'm back home listening to the humble cj+Quad match up, I can finally breathe easy without the next asthma attack. I truly understand when you say you could hardly turn away from the system the other night... I've experienced so many of those nights, hence why I turn into a vampire after 12.
I strongly feel the MG3.7i has created a storm in audio arena, and taken the "high-end" to another level. Magnepan is clearly on a roll with with this one, and to top that off, as if it wasn't enough, enter the MG20.7 and it blows the roof off! The only draw back with the 20.7 that I have experienced personally is that in order to make it really sing and launch that mesmerizing soundstage, it definitely requires a large room. Therefore, with equal impressive results at an outstanding value, the MG3.7i is the clear winner in virtually any type of room, small or large.

Another thing I noticed with the MG3.7i is the tremendous speed and delicacy it has with the nuances, when it needs to go thump, it will thump the hec out of any note, and when it needs to go soft, it can float an image on the wings of a butterfly- this is a truly amazing feature that is not found on even the most ultra high-end systems out there, they just don't have it. Some do so but then you have to add all other components in the chain with top notch gear, which will total the cost of the system to a house! With the new maggies, all you need is decent gear to be able to control the ribbon panel and "drive" it adequately to your listening levels in your preferred room. Once you've got that basic element in place- all else is really heaven!

Enjoy mate, and don't forget the lights, need a bit of dimming to get that late night club feeling.
Cheers to that Jasper, one awesome system indeed! By the way, do you still have your PK-Quads?
RJ
jasper
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jasper »

Fantastic description of the Maggie 3.7i's RJ! With all that power from the Prem 8's (300 watts/ea with KT120's) the Maggies can whack you in the head or whisper gently in your ear. The textures like from a solo saxophone, cello, or Sinatra's voice are mesmerizing. And the bass is so natural sounding. Of course I'm tempted at times by the 20.7's but from yours and other's comments, they do seem just too much for my current room. I'd hate to get em and then find out they just didn't have enough space to sound their best. In my set up the 3.7i's are probably perfect. Plus I've got them matched up to a pair of REL G2's crossed over at 39 db. So there is plenty of sound to fill every atom and molecule in my room. Yes I do still have the PK Quads off in a corner patiently waiting for a chance to take center stage. It won't be long before I dust them off and set them up in the system. Actually they sound their best in the exact same spot as the Maggies so its not that hard. Guess I'm just so taken by the Maggies right now, don't really want to change a thing!