Premier one tube matching

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
wagbee1
Beginner
Beginner

Premier one tube matching

Post by wagbee1 »

I have read about matching tubes, but I don't understand which pairs to match. In a CJ Premier One, there are 12 6550 type tubes. Which pairs do you match? For example, there are 4 columns, each with 3 tubes. Do you match the top of column 1 with the top of column 2, and so on? Can you match all six tubes on the left and all six on the right? Will appreciate a response. Thanks
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Premier one tube matching

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey mate, nice to hear that you have a premier1, that's one awesome power amp indeed. Never owned one but have heard in various systems, great control, plenty of clean power, effortless presentation of soundstage.

When referring to "matching tubes" in general the manufacturer or designer is referring to matched tube sets. These have been hand selected at the factory and tested in batches under the same conditions. After a certain time has passed, they have either batched or grouped together a certain number of tubes and termed matched pairs. For example, tested 4 tubes in a group, received the same burn-in time and duration of testing and those 4 are matched. Therefore, if your amp takes only 4 output tubes, this matched group of 4 tubes would be the best suited for the amp.

Since the premier1 takes more than just 4 output tubes per side, you would require at least a "quad set" of matched tubes or better still if cj could source for you a matched set of 6 tubes together. In which case to get the perfect so called "match", for the premier1 you would need to order two sets of (6 matched tubes), totaling the 12 required. That's a lot of tubes but I guess worth it if you are after the perfect match.

I would probably just match them in pairs first, replacing both left and right channels at the sane time. This will ensure that at least the matched pairs are working fine. If you can afford the extra spend just match the entire lot! You can't go wrong with that. CJ should be able to do this for you at hopefully a reasonable cost. Contact them and see what they say.

All the best. By the way, what speakers and preamp are you using? Are you using panels - stats or ribbons by any chance?
Cheers, RJ
wagbee1
Beginner
Beginner

Post by wagbee1 »

Thanks so much, RJ. Your opinion is highly appreciated. Replacing the tubes on a CJ Premier 1 is very expensive but worth it. My preamp is also a CJ PV5 and speakers are KEF 105.2 Reference Series. Beautiful sounding system, but as I said, expensive to keep it working well.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

I'm not at all familiar with the Premier 1. Do you have individual bias pots for each of the output/power tubes? If so, matching isn't critical.

That having been said, if you refer to the image, found here: http://www.conrad-johnson.com/It_just_s ... a-pr1.html

You'd match them as follows:

V13/V11
V15/V9
V17/V7

V12/V14
V10/V16
V8/V18

Hope this helps.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day gentleman,

Yes, you're probably right about the individual biasing feature that doesn't necessarily require matching tubes. However, I think matching tubes gives the user a sense of "comfort" knowing that the tubes have been matched at the "cj factory."

I really don't know whether this is simply a marketing ploy to get the consumer to purchase more tubes, Increasing the value of after sales. Afterall this is a business.

Having said that, cj is not always just about the "business" and making money. In my experience with cj over the decades, I have learnt that usually whatever cj recommends is proven technology and they design their products with passion for great sound. Therefore, I would certainly match the tubes just to be sure. Again, doesn't necessarily mean that these tubes last the same time, as I have experienced tubes slowly degrade at different times. Replacing in matched pairs both left & right sides of the amp seems to work quite well. This is also very convenient when the amp has just 4 output tubes in total. The premier1 has a total of 12 tubes, obviously a greater expense in the long run...

However, as they say, it is definitely worth it because afterall "it just sounds right".
The pv5 and premier1 with the Kef's must be a sweet expansive sound indeed. Enjoy & have a good one!
Cheers, RJ
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

c-j does an excellent job of matching. I heard that when they replaced my Amperex 7308 green label tubes with a set of Elecrtro-Harmonix 6922s for my Premier 16LS2 when one of the 7308's was returned all white. Sounded really good but nowhere near as good as the Amperex, Not trying to be argumentative but there really was no comparison.

Just my 2 cents, naturally.
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey Joe, how's it going?
I wasn't aware you previously owned a premier 16LS, that was one awesome preamp! Very expansive deep sound stage, with excellent transient control of the power amp. One superb well made preamp from cj at time. There were many other high-end contenders that couldn't match what the prem16 could do for value.

Agree with the tube brands. In fact I clearly remember reading the manual of the mv60se, where it stated that cj does not know of any other tubes in current production that would improve the sound quality of the amp.

There comes along the kt120 and throws the 6550 out of the park... I then wrote to cj and explained the overall improvement to Ed and Lew at the time. Few years later, I started seeing new designs offering the kt120's.
cj is quite conservative when it comes to recommending tubes. They like to stick with what they know and have tested over many years. Anyway, now they offer most amps with a choice of either 6550's or kt120's as a matter of preference.

The 6550 is still a very good reliable tube, great sound, good dynamics and very smooth. Of course the kt120 has better control and a fuller sound but I know quite a few 6550 die hard fans that go to great lengths to match these tubes with cj and won't deviate to any other tube.
I guess they're truly enjoying their music, so why bother.
Cheers Joe, have a good one mate.
RJ
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Hi RJ,

Lew and Bill have stated that they prefer the sound of the KT120 to the 6550C they'd been using for years which in turn had replaced the GE 6550A. Of necessity they require a reliable supply of tubes both small signal and power. When SED began to become less than reliable in their production, they switched output tubes to New Sensor's KT120. I tried the KT120 in both my Premier 11A and Premier 140 when I had them but for some reason I never cottoned to its sound. In fact, I even preferred New Sensor's "Tung-Sol" Reissue 6550 to the KT120. As always, a it's a matter of personal preference and system synergy.

I switched to c-j's CA200 a couple a years ago and really like it. There are times, though, when I still miss the old system.

Regards,
Joe
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML