Survey Tubes 6550

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
Hatzudokiseizo
Advanced
Advanced

Survey Tubes 6550

Post by Hatzudokiseizo »

Hi all CJ Members.I make time a survey of the tube can 6550.Every his experience with this tube describe whatever type as Electro Harmonix, JJ, Svetlana etc etc. Good and Bad and Everything he has Experienced with this Tube 6550 in Sound , Emotion,Body and Soul.Look me to see many answers ...Best Greets Sounding Chris
Jallen
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Survey Tubes 6550

Post by Jallen »

I have used
6550 WC
KT88 Sovtek
kt88 S hug huang
kt88 JJ
KT88 EH
KT150
Kt120
kt 88 Gold lion

Best is the KT150, a 9/10
next EH/KT88:WC6550 Tie. Both very good, but close. 8/10 New EH version, not old.
Sovtek great mid/top, loose bass 7/10
Gold Lion 7/10 warm, but not the tightest on bottom, or extended on top. Classic Tube sound

Shughu a ng...warm, forgiving, classic tube sound. Lacks extension, but few sins
kt120-bright, non linear sounding, dissppointing.
KT 150, lives up to the hype, great, near perfect tubes..very linear, powerful, yet delicate.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

I used to be a very passionate tube power amp follower, but after experiencing the awesome Martin Logan CLX Art being driven with a Pass Labs XA30.8 Class A amplifier, with all tube front end- premap, phonostage and Dac, I now prefer this type of combination. Also reminds me of the outstanding ACT2 and Premier 350, one superb pre-power combination that could match up to anything out there.

I have used the following:
EL34, 6550C, KT90, KT120, KT88 & KT150- yes agreed on the KT150 if based on a very well designed amplifier, the KT150 does sound wonderful.
However, as far as midrange depth and palpability is concerned in its true 3 dimensional form, the EL34 remains my favourite. It cannot do too well on bass compared to the KT series, such as the KT90 or 120's but its midrange is superb!

NOTE: we are only stating what we have heard with our ears! Therefore, I would suggest that you listen for yourself and judge on your own because after all this is a personal preference, and there may be a tube that you would happen to like over others...
I have a fellow music fan that swears by the 300B tube and absolutely loves the sound- although it has flabby bass and hardly any extended dynamics whatsoever but he just loves it!

Also pay close attention to your preamp and front end gear. Just because you may have a fantastic power amp doesn't mean that the overall sound would be great. You have to get that pre - power match up just right, and when it matches just right, as CJ states "it just sounds right!"
Cheers, RJ
Jallen
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Jallen »

Greetings,
Agreed on the el34, a very palpable sound and dimensional. I have Quicksilver monos, M135, and run el34s. The bass is tremendous, dynamic, full bodied. Not as tight as a kt 150, 120, and not loose, just full and powerful. I like both of my amp options. Other amp is anEico HF89 variant, stereo 70wpc. Jallen