PV10A or PV5 ? Preamp choice?

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
Joethekid72
Regular
Regular

PV10A or PV5 ? Preamp choice?

Post by Joethekid72 »

Hello,

I'm new here.. I thought you fellow CJ lovers might shed some light on this for me..

I currently run a CJ PV10A and have been thinking about sending it in to Bill Thalmann to have it upgraded. I have an opportunity to purchase a PV5 for a cheap price... and was wondering what would be a better preamp to send in to get fixed up? I am also confused by the PV10's line stage reversing phase.. any insight on what the reason for that is? I noticed the PV5 has both Phono and line stage that are phase correct... is this better? It also has more tubes in the signal path.. Anyone out there have experience with both of these pre's?

Thanks in advance!!
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Re: PV10A or PV5 ? Preamp choice?

Post by jeffreybehr »

'Modern'* c-j preamps have only one triode section in a line stage. Each triode gain stage reverses signal polarity*. I don't know with what piece c-j started using only a single triode in line stages, but I know that the PV5 uses 2 triode gain sections in each of its fono and line stages. Hence neither stage inverts signal polarity.

If I didn't need a fono stage, I'd have the '10 upgraded as it's a more-modern design, a newer unit more likely NOT to have its circuitboard 'baked', and it's MUCH-less complex and will be less expensive to upgrade.

Polarity inversion is easily offset, unless you have a complex system, by reversing both channels' speakercable leads at EITHER the poweramp or the speakers.

*...unless it's a grounded-grid type, which does not reverse signal polarity. AFAIK, c-j has never used grounded-grid topology.
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
Joethekid72
Regular
Regular

Post by Joethekid72 »

Thanks! For the info! I think I'm going to send in the PV10 as I already own that so it will be the most cost effective!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Joethekid72,
Welcome to the site, it's nice to have you. As for your questions:

Don't worry about phase inverting, just flip the positive/negative speaker cable on your speakers (or AMP side) and you just reversed phase. This does not have any positive or detrimental effects on the sound.

I would probably stick with the PV10 and get the upgrade vs getting a PV5. That's just my opinion however. If you need the phono stage on the PV10, then that complicates matters as you have to weight the costs of adding a phono preamp or getting the phono stage to the PV10.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Joethekid72
Regular
Regular

Post by Joethekid72 »

Thanks Admin!
Mine is actually a PV10A with the phono.. i primarily use it for vinyl so.. I think I'm going to stick with it and get it upgraded! I love it but I think it could be freshened up! So glad this site exists!

Thanks!!
MylesBAstor
Regular
Regular

Post by MylesBAstor »

You'll have to be careful with the choice of phono cartridge if you went to the PV5. Early cj preamps didn't have a huge amount of noise free gain. You'll really need around 1 mV with those older units.
Myles B. Astor, Sr. Editor, Positive-Feedback, www.positive-feedback.com
Founder, www.audionirvana.org
Joethekid72
Regular
Regular

Post by Joethekid72 »

Thanks for all your responses!

I thought that maybe because the PV5 is non phase inverting that it might be more desirable? I switch from phono to line stage and don't bother switching the leads on my speaker cables and listen like that all the time... I honestly don't find the sound that off putting..
jimsusky
New User
New User

Post by jimsusky »

Responding to Myles Astor's comment:

Lower output pickups - usually moving coil types - will benefit from a well-designed transformer. Two effects here: noise free gain and closer-to-optimal impedance matching (which will affect frequency response somewhat).