Problem biasing Premier 140

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
kve777
Beginner
Beginner

Problem biasing Premier 140

Post by kve777 »

My new-to-me Premier 140 was playing at low volume (Premier 17LS2 preamp, Tekton Pendragon speakers) and I heard a loud POP on the right speaker. I looked at the tubes, V7 was red-platting(maybe others) I also saw bias light on V10. Shut it off immediately. Today I tested the output tubes, no shorts, reasonably serviceable test results. Reinstalled tubes, biased the left channel, no problem. Right channel won't light any LED's, dialed all the pots to max. Any thoughts before I tear into it? I am no novice to tube gear. I have a TV-7D/U tester calibrated by Dan Nelson, A couple of Sencore PR57 variacs, lots of Tektronix scopes, Tek sig gens and Fluke meter. I have the schematic. I figure it's a bias/grid issue, but C-J isn't as simple as a 60's organ amp. Common issue?

Also- Thinking of changing to Tung-Sol KT120's. Any Yays or Nays?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problem biasing Premier 140

Post by admin »

First, welcome to CJO. Great to have you with us.

Are you still getting sound from the right channel? Did you check the fuses? If you think it's a bad tube, you can try substituting one tube at a time from the left channel and see where you get issues. That could help identify the tube at least. If the tubes are all ok then you will have to open up the unit,.. although that wouldn't be a bad first step to check for any obvious component damage/burn marks.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Welcome to the forum, sorry you are having problems. Please keep us updated. I’m interested in the outcome.
kve777
Beginner
Beginner

Post by kve777 »

Sound from both channels, still. Tubes are OK. Just can't bias the right. None of the four LED's will light in any potentiometer position.

I have to get a Carver TFM-45 off my bench before I can open up this one.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Probably not the factor, but any chance the voltage in your home is substantially off of 120V? It can cause the tubes to be outside of biasing range.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I know Jeff told Roberto this, but t sure seems like a red herring.

How far off could it be? Certainly less than 10%.

Seems like the adjustment range could deal with this. Maybe an active power line conditioner could solve the problem.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
kve777
Beginner
Beginner

Post by kve777 »

It's only Right channel. Left Biasing normally. My voltage is fine. Plugged into a Power Wedge.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

kve777 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:36 pm It's only Right channel. Left Biasing normally. My voltage is fine. Plugged into a Power Wedge.
And it is fixed to one position regardless of tube installed?
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

If you are well versed in tube electronics, you are well aware of the need to discharge capacitors before poking around. There are potentially lethal voltages present.

You can generally drain them by grounding them. But if you’re not sure how to do this, it is better to be safe than sorry. Don’t be the ground path yourself. It could be your last act.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

CJ no longer provides schematics to the general requester. Maybe liability is as much in play as intellectual property protection.

Some years ago Chinese sourced electronics “based on Conrad Johnson” started showing up on eBay. Krell replacement cases also started showing up. I don’t know if they’re still being offered, but this sort of theft is not a victimless crime. EBay won’t help unless the company that’s being knocked off threatens legal action.
kve777
Beginner
Beginner

Post by kve777 »

I have purpose built capacitor drains. All four tubes in the right channel will not bias.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

👍
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola kve777,

How the amp is doing? Did you have a chance to check the fuses? Usually that's only the problem. Don't look at them, test for continuity. Remember to take one side out of the fuse holder.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.