Hi everyone I’m scott

Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
Papawheely
Regular
Regular

Hi everyone I’m scott

Post by Papawheely »

I bought a used cj MV50 in 1996, and have loved it since. I just recently traded it in for a new classic 62 and I also own a pv6 preamp.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: Hi everyone I’m scott

Post by Joe Appierto »

Welcome to the forum!
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Sounds great! Welcome!
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Scott,
Welcome to CJO, great to have you with us!

May I ask what other components you have in your system? I'm sure the CJ equipment will complement your setup.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Papawheely
Regular
Regular

Post by Papawheely »

im setting up a vinyl only system. My stuff has been in storage since my kids were toddlers. now they're tweens, i'm sucked back in. I used to drive the cj with a micro line drive. That has an issue with the selector pot where one channel drops out until you hit the knob again. I'm on a budget however, so my equipment is not that noteworthy. Currently im looking for a good entry-level high end table. I'm liking the well-tempered. what say you?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great to hear that you are getting back into the hobby. There is no reason to spend a fortune on high end stuff right off the bat. If your looking for some budget turntables take a look at Rega and Project. I spun LP's for a few years on a Rega Planar 3 that I bought used for a couple a hundred bucks.

As for the selector and audio loss, it may just need a good cleaning. You can buy contact cleaner spray. Give it a try as you may be able to fix that problem for a few bucks.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Agree with Admin!

The Rega planar 3 or RP3 is an outstanding TT for what it offers. You could also get the matching phonostage and all up is vfm at it's highest level. I used one for a few years before I upgraded to Rega's Aria Phonostage, that was marvellous! Then of course I moved on to CJ and upgraded everything else slowly over the years... but I must say that RP3 and Aria combo was excellent, very musical and highly involving, you could listen on for endless hours.

Welcome to our CJO forum Scott! Although the gear you have maybe vintage, they're true CJ classics! The musicality level on those previous MV amplifiers was fantastic! Something I will truly miss, especially now given that these items, both the PV and MV series are no longer in production.

Moving up to the Classic 62 is a significant jump, you will realise more of the music from the original recording is picked up with a much greater sense of energy and drive factor through your speakers. These newer versions from CJ are far less coloured and allows you to hear more of the music. There are those passionate music fans who actually do prefer a bit of colour, or as we used to term "that golden glow" that CJ was known for... So by adding a touch of that golden glow, your PV6 will contribute towards that. Having a PV series preamp partnered with a Classic series power amplifier, will deliver an exceptional level of musicality that is highly engaging. I used one such combination for many years, PV10 with a MV60SE then the final combination of a PV15 with the Classic 60SE. What a beautiful sound!

In fact, any CJ match up of dedicated pre-power combination will offer a high level of musical engagement and satisfaction, you just gotta love it!

Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Welcome Scott!
lexx21
Regular
Regular

Post by lexx21 »

Also look at the Thorens td-150. They are pretty much the same as the Linn lp12, as Linn copied the design once the Thorens patent ran out. I have used one for many years and it is a great table. You can get replacement arm boards to use whatever 9" arm that you want, although the tp-13 isn't a bad arm at all.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Papawheely wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:30 pm im setting up a vinyl only system. My stuff has been in storage since my kids were toddlers. now they're tweens, i'm sucked back in. I used to drive the cj with a micro line drive. That has an issue with the selector pot where one channel drops out until you hit the knob again. I'm on a budget however, so my equipment is not that noteworthy. Currently im looking for a good entry-level high end table. I'm liking the well-tempered. what say you?
People liked the Well Tempered set up.

If you’re looking for an entry level table that is well thought of for a nice system, it is worth looking at the sub $2500 offerings from Rega and VPI. The Rega Planar 3 with arm is modestly priced, easy to set up, and generally well thought of by all who hear it.

Used tables are a good option too if you’re up to sorting them out. The VPI HW19 is available for short money, and is pretty easy to set up.

If I were looking for a used table in the sub $2500 range, I’d check out the Linn LP12 with Cirkus bearing and Ittok arm. They are a bit harder to set up, but they can be upgraded to current specs as money and skill become available.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

FWIW, when my 1978 LP12 “died” I asked Jack Tozzi of Spearit Sound (now closed) what I should buy to replace it.

He said I would have to spend at least $5k to get a new equivalent.

I put it back in service with a new power supply, and it was a very inexpensive fix.

Later I upgraded it to near present specs and it is in my second system doing a beautiful job.
Paul001
Regular
Regular

Post by Paul001 »

Welcome
JBL 4333, Hiraga classe A 80w, CJ premier 17(for line),Revox B77, Studer 727 zos, Vpi Prime Lyra Clavis D.C., Pre-Pre Hiraga, CJ premier 2 (for phono)
Papawheely
Regular
Regular

Post by Papawheely »

Well, I’ve taken the advice of a few responses here and bought a rega planar 3. Very happy with it so far. I forgot to mention my speakers are proac response 1sc I bought in 1998. They will probably be the next upgrade. Maybe something more sensitive and full range and less polite.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

ProAc are fabulous speakers. Matched with CJ amplification is a match made in heaven. It has the ability of a truly remarkable soundstage and depth.

I'll never forget that first time experience with a PV12, Premier 11A driving a pair of ProAc Tablets, which were basically stand mount monitors. Although they were small, the imaging, focus, depth in soundstage and disappearing act were superb! Apart from the high level of musicality from these three components.

Those were one of those very special memorable moments that last a lifetime. Of course along with many other great awe-inspiring moments I've had with other gear.

Enjoy those fine tunes mate, well done on the Rega. That will be a mighty fine combination!
Cheers, RJ