PV 1 - Caps are original

The PV-1 to now...
WESTENDTORONTO
Beginner
Beginner

PV 1 - Caps are original

Post by WESTENDTORONTO »

I like update my PV 1 I the original caps. Does any one have suggestions to upgrade the caps and whats caps would be the best for this equipment?
Attachments
878949-conrad-johnson-pv1-tube-pre-amp.jpg
878949-conrad-johnson-pv1-tube-pre-amp.jpg (168.21 KiB) Viewed 1152 times
John in Toronto :)
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PV 1 - Caps are original

Post by admin »

First, welcome to the forum. Great to have you with us.

I think there are many great caps to choose from. I recently did a cap upgrade to the crossover in my Magnepan 20.1 speakers and used Solen. So far I really like their sound.

This is the series of caps that I used: https://solen.ca/product-category/capac ... propylene/
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola and welcome,

Seeing you PV1, it looks that it is working in optimal conditions. Also I see a much better volume control. Tell us if you have a problem. It looks neat and clean. Congratulations for that. Here in Costa Rica we have a lot of geckos. Look what they do:
IMG_5009 5.JPG
IMG_5009 5.JPG (108.21 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
This makes a lot of short circuits, believe me. But this is not your case...your PV-1 looks beautiful.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
WESTENDTORONTO
Beginner
Beginner

Re: PV 1 - Caps are original What happens when I get new ones

Post by WESTENDTORONTO »

So does anyone think the sound would spectacular. In terms of Air and accuracy of musical sounds and voices?
I like hear your opinions on this.
Also do I need to have resistors changed to.. Metal Film ?
Thanks
John
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Well, that's a tough question. The PV-1 has over 40 yeas old and a lot of changes with new circuit topology and design had happened. Newer models exhibit more accurate reproduction. Better specifications and much better realism. Also, the aid of digital electronics combined with analogue signal, is the product that we have on these days. The electronic components are the best that the Industry can provide. The tolerances and the precision crafted is also what you have.

You might improve your preamp using top quality parts, but it is not a newer design. I recommend not to touch it. The PV=1 is that what you have. A very good preamp.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

This is my personal opinion...let's see what other members think about it. I don't have the last word on this. Just a humble opinion.
WESTENDTORONTO
Beginner
Beginner

Post by WESTENDTORONTO »

Would like to see what other members think about this subject.

Here is my experience from someone I know and I can say this that using top quality new parts (capacitors, resistors) , and using silver connectors wire can make a huge difference.
This was done recently with a Threshold 400a from 1980 which turned out very open, detailed and very dynamic. With a sound stage that razor sharp. I know this amp when it was new ...
Who would thought?
Let me know its a very interesting subject.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The question of whether updating the internal components to new high end spec would improve the sound, absolutely. Again, these are now 40 year old components. The question is whether it is worth the time and money to do so. The PV-1 is a great unit, but we have to be honest that CJ's line in the last 10 or even 20 years is significantly better. If you plan to do a full component upgrade, you are now talking about dollar values that could simply buy you a used unit that is half the age and most likely will offer better sound.

Now with that said. If you really like how the PV-1 sounds and there is an attachment, well that may be worth the time, effort, and money to bring the unit up to its potential peak performance.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I said the other day that two categories of hobbiests are those who want to listen to their gear’s sound, and those who want to listen to their music.

A third, equally valid hobbiest might take great pride in their fully operative vintage system. There are many vintage McIntosh listeners in China at this point. They may discover CJ and run up vintage prices some day, but many collectors are just that ... collectors. There is joy in keeping something old going.

From my point of view, I think admin’s advice is on the right track.

The PV1 is a truly great piece of CJ history. This one may be a true unmolested survivor. If you can find an original box and owners manual, and hold onto it, it might come into its own one day.

Meanwhile, if it’s either sound or music you’re after, you might be better off finding something from the last decade or two. There have been some real advances.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
WESTENDTORONTO
Beginner
Beginner

Post by WESTENDTORONTO »

That is all Sound Advice.

Having said that -- What CJ preamps in the last 20 years which are the ones sought after because of?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Clearly CJ's new offerings are top of the line. So if looking for new and have the budget, I would definitely recommend one of those.

If looking for a bargain and willing to go a decade or two back, then I guess my personal choice (which is what I have been using for years) is the PV-12. We're probably talking about $1k on the used market. However, this is now two decades old so you have to start worrying about tubes/caps needing replacement.

If you want to go a little newer and have a little more to spend, maybe something like an ET5? That would certainly be a huge upgrade in quality and also some nice "modern perks" like a remote.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

They’re all nice in their own way.

I’d start with the PV 14 or Premier 17 as sort of a minimum price of admission.

If you can get to ART, GAT, GAT2, or ET series, my taste prefers these more modern incarnations.

ET3 or ET5 may be good deals. ET7s1 or ET7s2 deals turn up too.

Remote control is a nice feature, and the units that use the RC-20 tend to be better build quality than those that use the RC-10.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Good advice AJ and RJ,

Old goods are nice, but to my ears, the new stuff is top match!. The new philosophy with the circuit design, making the shortest path with the best components available is the winner to my ears. I don't want to impose myself on what I am saying. The image, the scenarios, the timbre of the instruments with a superb harmonic texture, with the right size of the musical instruments and voices is the mayor goal and it is well accomplished with the newer models.

I got the CJ sales and service the representation for Costa Rica, in 1982 at the Summer Consumer Electronic Show headed in Chicago at the International Hotel. There I met Bill and Lew. Lew was immediately my guide and we became friends since then. Still we talk once and then.

Having a bad bug inside me, I started to listen and do changes in my electronics and speakers...First start was the 202 Harold Beveridge set of speakers at the end of the 70s, before I had good speakers but some were into the high end world, the others still were very commercial. The 202 had big problem with the power amplifier design. The high working temperature at these power amplifier made power tubes to explode. The broken tubes, ... The Company never sent the diagram and how to adjust the bias, or how to proceed to solved this problem. At that time NO internet. Our communication was through letters via simple air mail, or via phone.

Having most high end tube gears brands like ARC, Cary, Jadis, VAC, VTL, etc I ended again with Conrad Johnson, and I must admit that I am in a terrible sorrow all the time that I lost not listening Conrad Johnson in my system.

I also have to admit that I never had a system as good as now, enjoying every musical note coming out from the magic of CJ.

My final statement: quality has no regret!!!. And this is what we have with Conrad Johnson. Pure Quality!
Happy listening.