Tea2se ... doesn't sound right.

The PV-1 to now...
Galpi005
Regular
Regular

Tea2se ... doesn't sound right.

Post by Galpi005 »

Hi folks,

I finally got my hands on a used tea2 phono preamp to complete my all CJ amplification (I have the Classic 2SE preamp and 2x lp140m monoblocks). I sent it to CJ to have it upgraded to the Tea2SE and just listened to it this weekend. Straight out of the box, I'm frankly disapointed and wondering if I just need to give it time to burn in. The issue is that the extension in the low frequencies is lacking and dynamics in the lower register are really weak. I just lost all of the slam that I enjoy from my Graham Slee Reflex M (paired with a Bob's Devices SUT). Is it that the teas2se just won't go as low, or that I need to give it time? Anyone have experience with a new or newly upgraded Tea2se ? RJ ? Really hoping it just needs time, but the gap seems so significant ... Thanks for your input.

Pierre
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Tea2se ... doesn't sound right.

Post by AnotherJohnson »

If they did the work, you should discuss it with them.

There will be a break in period. But it should not sound bad out of the box.

The unit has dip switch adjustable cartridge resistance loading. It would be easy to check that, or to try other settings. Maybe it’s set for a different cartridge. It’s explained in the owner’s manual.

The other thing that seems common is that people mess up their interconnects and routing when putting a system together. Go through them.

And last, it is possible that you liked the other unit better, regardless of which one others might prefer, or that there is some anomaly in your room set up that favors one over the other.

I’d start by talking with the folks you’ve just paid to upgrade it.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, that's correct. As AJ mentioned straight out of the box or as the SE upgrade has been done, should sound fantastic! Since the SE upgrade has been done by CJ, they certainly know how to go about it, afterall they're the sole designers of these marvellous products.

The Teflon caps and Vishays do take an awful long time to run-in properly, this process could take several hundred hours, on average listening around 6-8 months. However, unlike preamps and power amps, which have performance swings/moods, where one day they sound great, the next not so great and then all of a sudden "stop the train moment "... the TEA2SE will gradually sound better each time it's played.

So, judging from the type of sound it's delivering I think something is not quite right. Please check the cartridge settings, and match those dip-switches as closely as possible. Also wondering which version of TEA2SE do you have? Is it the Low gain or high gain version?

Again, whichever version must match well with your cartridge output. It is very important to get that overall gain structure right.

Having thought about all this, you did mention that prior to the SE upgrade, it was sounding great. Which means your cartridge & load settings were matched fine. I guess it's just a matter of those first 50 to 100hrs of run-in.

For what it's worth, have a quick chat to CJ as well, just to make them aware of what's going on and check on their advice. I'm sure Jeff would have a reasonable answer.

Let us know how it goes. One thing for sure is, after those initial 50 to 100hrs, it sounds outstanding!
I couldn't be happier with any other phonostage other than the TEA2SE in my particular system.

Cheers mate, RJ
Galpi005
Regular
Regular

Post by Galpi005 »

Thank you both for your answers and help.

RJ, it's the low gain version, with Rega Aphelion 2 cartridge and 1:20 SUT. The gain is fine and close to what I get from the Graham Slee. I will experiment with different cartridge loading settings ...

I did reach out to CJ and they responded that it will get better over time without going into details. To be clear, it doesn't sound bad, and I actually really like what I hear in the mid range and above, but that I'm disappointed in what I clearly lost in the lower frequencies. There's so much detail that vanished and the music just doesn't have the same depth to it. BTW, speakers are Totem Element Fire V2s with a pair of REL s812 subwoofers. I know there's more in the recording than I'm unable to get right now. I guess I'm going to give it a good 100+h and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

It was probably stupid of me, but I had the amp upgraded before I had a listen. It's a long story, but I did not listen to my system for over 4 or 5 months because I opened up my wall to install new studs to support a new wall shelf that also took forever to be built. It was an insane and painful project to minimize vibrations to my turntable. The results are really stunning (both audibly and aesthetically) but yeah, it was a little nuts. It's during that time that I got my hands on the tea2 and I thought I'd just have it upgraded in anticipation that I will have addressed the feedback issues I was facing and would enjoy an upgrade to my phono preamp.

Pierre
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The TEA2SE is a top-tier phono preamp. I want to say that there is something inherently wrong or mismatched in the system if you are not really satisfied. Any chance that the changes to the room messed up the acoustics? Have you tried repositioning the speakers? You are also using subwoofers, which is fairly uncommon in audiophile setups. You seem to indicate that the lower end is where you have your disappointment. Maybe time to re-evaluate the sub or at the very least the settings and positioning of the sub. You also mentioned that the amp has been "upgraded". Have you tried the amp in another system to make sure something didn't happen there? It's very hard to figure out what is going on when three crucial variables have changed since the last true listening session (ie phono preamp, amp, and room).

I suppose the other issue could be that the cartridge is simply not a good match for the TEA2SE but I doubt it. Let us know what happens when you have some more time on the unit as it should improve with time.

Just from personal experience, I would probably look at the positioning and setup of the subs in the meantime. Or ask why do you need two subs to augment the speakers? I have my stereo setup and home theater setup in the same room (but completely separated). The subs in my home theater setup really make calibrating a necessity. If you haven't done so already, I would get a calibration mic and software (I recommend the miniDSP UMIK-1 or UMIK-2 and REW software). If the low end really is so deficient, I would confirm that with test tones and see what can be done from an objective level and then hone it down with your ears once that is done.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

You may have fixed an excessive bass issue that was pleasing with your other projects.

Of course if you still prefer the Graham Slee on substitution, that’s not it.

All of these things are synergistically related ... well coupled, or less so.

Two things I prefer about the TEA1 compared to the TEA2 are that the dip switches are on the back rather than inside. And it allows capacitance changes too.

On the other hand, my experience with both CJ and AR is that different settings are not startlingly different. With the solid state phono preamps that were both R and C adjustable, differences between settings were often dramatic, going from horrid to decent. With CJ and AR phono sections, the range has been more from great to awesome.

YMMV
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

If CJ had advised that there's nothing wrong... for whatever reason due to burn-in time, and that the unit will improve over a certain period of proper run-in hours, I guess at this stage all you can do is wait and listen for that golden moment.

I would probably think though after around the 50 - 60hr mark, if things aren't improving then it's time for a serious call to JF.

Best, RJ
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Attn: Pierre,

Just checking in, how's your TEA2SE going? Trust it's slowly settling in. Let us know what's the latest update.
Hope all is well, RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Yes, please keep us posted with the results. We would like to know if the good things are coming again,

happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Sounds like Pierre is enjoying those fine tunes or has had too many reds...

No news, I guess he's enjoying both!
Cheers anyway!
RJ
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Any news on your TEA2SE Pierre?

We're kind of keen to know... since we're all very passionate about CJ gear.

Is anything improving with its performance as yet?

RJ