Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
JoshT289
Advanced
Advanced

Hello Everyone

Post by JoshT289 »

Hi Guys,

I'm Josh. I go by JoshT on AudioAsylum, where I've been a registered Inmate forever. I've been lurking here for awhile and finally registered.

My first CJ product was an MF2250, which I bought in 2000 or 2001 (pre A version), and still have until this day. I had it refurbished by CJ around 2015 when it stopped working, and it's been as good as new ever since.

My second CJ product was a Premier 17LS (version 1), which to this day was the best sounding preamplifier I've owned. The 17LS/MF2250 combination had a certain magic and balance that's hard to replicate. But I traded in the 17LS because I had operational issues with it that CJ couldn't resolve. Occasionally, when I switched sources or hit HT bypass, even with the remote, it would emit a very loud pop and, sometimes, blow the rail fuses on the MF2250 (and once a woofer in a new set of speakers). Still, I have fond memories of it.

I traded it in for a CA200 control amp, with the hope that the CA200 would be a one box solution to replace the 17LS/MF2250 combo. I liked it quite a bit most of the time. It was amazingly transparent and detailed with strong bass and a sweet top end, but to my ears it was a bit lean and lacked some of the midrange magic. At least in my system. So, I sold it.

For the past several years, I've been running my MF2250 with a Rogue Audio RP-5, which I have to say is a sweet preamp. It might be a wee bit less seductive than the 17LS, but it's lovely sounding in its own right, a bit more dynamic, less expensive, and has a very nice MM/MC phono stage built in. And it's been problem free.

Just last Friday, I purchased a used Premier 11A, which sounds amazing and pairs super well with the RP-5. My intent is to switch back and forth between the MF2250 and Premier 11A from time to time. But the Premier 11A pairs so well with my speakers, which are Devore Fidelity Gibbon Super Nines, that I'm not in any hurry to switch back anytime soon.

The Premier 11A has Svetlana 6550Cs, which sound absolutely beautiful, but are long in the tooth so I'm looking to get some replacements for when they start to go. I'm considering the Gold Lion KT88s or the Sovtek 6550s. Both appear to be good matches, though I'm leaning a bit toward the Gold Lions based on advice from others. I also have a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II in another system (far away in a winter home, though). At some point I'll try the KT120s in the amp for the fun of it.

So, there you have it. My entire CJ life, lol. I'm glad to be a member here!

Josh
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Hello Everyone

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Welcome. Sounds wonderful! Literally 😁.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Josh,
Welcome to CJO. Great to have you with us.

Enjoy the sweet sounds on that Premier 11A!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
JoshT289
Advanced
Advanced

Post by JoshT289 »

Thanks Guys!
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

hola Josh,
Welcome to the Conrad Johnson Owners. As JR says: enjoy those fine tunes.

Happy listening!
Last edited by roberto on Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day Josh,

Welcome to CJO.
Yes, that pre-power match up with the Prem17LS and MF2250 is one fine combination! Too bad the 17ls had issues. Infact my previous ACT2 had very similar issues, plus sudden paralysis on one channel. Several attempts were made to fix it but it was a worrisome thing to always think about it during playback... so once fixed and stabilised, I sold it off to a chap who collected top of the line tube vintage gear. Still uses it to this day and occasionally has those pops but he doesn't seem to care. He's a happy chappy.

At least the Rogue is behaving and works well with the MF2250, so that's the main thing. You're still getting that awesome power with finesse, distortion free musicality from CJ's fine line up of SS gear.

Nice one mate, and enjoy those fine tunes!
Cheers, RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola RJ,
You wrote.. Still uses it to this day and occasionally has those pops ...usually this problem is a resistor that has a bad solder joint at the surrounded tube circuit. The tubes are double triodes. The Techny should solder all the resistors. It is only a 10 minutes of work. The new owner my get lucky doing this.
I have done this on several preamps with noisy resistors. I hope that this could help.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.