This should do it!

The PV-1 to now...
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: This should do it!

Post by roberto »

Oh, yes, that's the right formula...right now here in CR, you are not able to buy any isopropyl alcohol in a pure state. The only way is with this 20% of alcohol, but it works. The isopropyl is a degreaser, the hand soap is for cleaning the possible fungus and debris, and the wetting agent is for take off the surface tension of the LP. The hand soap has it.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
SteveFord
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by SteveFord »

I'll bet that sounds good.
Jim Winey must have been one of the first to use carbon fiber for an audio component and that was a long time ago, look at the price tag: $295.

There is a very clever man.
My speakers sounds like boxes. I know, make the room the box. Mylar, glue on some wire, refrigerator door magnets, hmmm...
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Thanks AJ,
That is the best way to clean the LPs...you are right! Another thing is there are a lot of tips and how to handle the LPs the best. Thanks Aj.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
SteveFord
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by SteveFord »

My post on that UniPivot arm must not have gone through.
Nice piece, they must have been a real early adaptor of carbon fiber for audio purposes.
Shame Magnepan never got around to putting their headphone into production, I'll bet that would have been a winner.

The CT-5 did one concerning thing today: all of a sudden it set the volume to 0 and the remote wouldn't budge it.
I shut the thing off for a minute and then it went back to working normally. Weird.

One thing that really stands out with the CT-5 is the bass output and dynamics.
The 17LS just doesn't have the same punch or bottom end.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

...The CT-5 did one concerning thing today: all of a sudden it set the volume to 0 and the remote wouldn't budge it.
I shut the thing off for a minute and then it went back to working normally. Weird...

Once and then...the digital circuits into the preamp behaviour could be like a computer. Sometimes there is a bug, and it need to be restart. It is better to unplug from the Mains AC cable for 15 sec and plug the cable back. This will clear all the possible bugs. Before you do this, turn off the amplifiers, because unplugging the cable might cause a heavy transient and a odd noise to the speakers.

Glad you are happy with the CT-5. It is a great sounding preamplifier.

Here is something that I just found about my tonearm. A much better explanation about it: https://www.vinylengine.com/library/mag ... ac-1.shtml

Happy listening¡
SteveFord
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by SteveFord »

Yes, I saw that from vinyl engine.
I joined there years ago when I got that Well Tempered Classic, that's a great site.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Steve,

Magneplanars are one of the best speakers available on these days. I am definitively a planar speaker lover. I went with my CLXs (Martin Logan) just because their diaphragm weighs less than the air that it moves. Having no mass makes them truly faster, and the new type Xstat panels makes them very efficient, so efficient that you can use a 20 Watts/channel power amp to drive them to a normal operating level. Not for a disco, but enough for an audio room or living room.

Magneplanar sound is fantastic too. The new 30.7 is a fantastic model. It represents the best sound possible with this technology. Then comes the 20.7. This model is quite impressive too. Robust bass and clean super sound is here too. Then my liking is this model: the 3.7i. A great stage, clean and easy to set. Very good sound is here too.

Driving Magneplanar with Conrad Johnsong gear is fantastic. We also know that Admin and RJ love the sound of Magneplanar.

Happy listening!
SteveFord
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by SteveFord »

If they're given the green light to put things into production 2022 is going to be a banner year for Magnepan.
My understanding is they've been kind of busy behind the scenes.
SteveFord
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by SteveFord »

I think the problem with the CT-5 going berserk is with the remote, not the preamp.
Every so often it would switch inputs by itself and refuse to stay put on Phono and then the volume would only work on one channel.
A balance button on the remote felt funny and I swear it actually made a noise when I pressed that button so I grabbed the remote for the 17LS and so far, so good.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, that's correct. Those remotes the RC-20 and RC-10 aren't the greatest ones for controlling highend audio gear.
Although, the RC-20 ,is like a gold brick, and feels solid, it's actually bit finicky... compared to other top grade remotes.

Even the Esoteric remote on my SACD player is at a different level compared to the RC-20. I don't think CJ techs ever really focused on their remote devices, and the RC-10 that initially came with the PFR and later accompanied with the later PV series preamps (14 & 15) was an absolute toy! Called the plastic chocolate bar... wish it was a Snicker.

Changing the remote certainly helps, and the RC-20 can be used with nearly all of CJ's remote circuits in their preamps. So basically from a PFR to the GATS2, it's pretty much the same remote unit. They don't cost much, 50 bucks or something like that in Aus when I bought one last. I'm sure USD would be much less.

Trust that CT5 is performing top notch!
Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes.
RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The RC20 is $300.

Gold brick indeed.

The remote is a weak spot for CJ.

I suppose that since the RC is not part of the sonic path, it may not get the attention it deserves.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Although there is an "I'm impressed" initial feeling when you get a nice solid remote. I am kind of glad that CJ is not putting tons of resources (ie money) into that side of the purchase price. Any decent sub $100 remote can now "learn" codes on the fly so you really don't need 10 original remotes lying around. I've been using a universal remote to replace the half dozen remote controlled components in my hometheater/listening room.

I will also add that if you are having remote control issues and the unit is not in perfect line of site, sometimes an IR repeater can work really well in this situation. I use one as my Magnepan 20.1 block line of site to some of my components.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The problem with the RC-20 is that it seems to emit randomly sometimes. Not often. But it does happen. And it has been present in all three RC20 to ET units I’ve owned.

A few examples: You press the volume up control, and the balance responds.

You press the Phono Select button, and CD responds.

You press some button and it responds with a switch in of the processing loop.

This happens to me a couple of times a year. I am trying to decide if it’s tied to the static electricity season. I am also wondering if it may be due to fingers getting into the proximity of buttons … close enough for the RC20 to respond to their proximity (capacitance change maybe?). The buttons are intended to be mechanical, but maybe the circuit is very sensitive.

I dunno. I liked the remote on the AR gear better. More features. More consistent control. But I personally like CJ’s sound better. And I personally like CJ’s designs, choice of components, layouts, etc. better too. YMMV
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

I would like to compliment all the comments with a little trick. All what you have to do is to have fresh batteries, and if they are fresh, give four or five turns to each battery in the remote to clean both battery connectors. The last thing is, take off one battery and put it back. Once you have done this, disconnect the power cord of the preamp for 20 sec or so. Put it back, and you have just reset all the bugs in the remote circuit stage.

What happened ( I hate to assume ) is that perhaps accidentally you pressed two buttons of the remote at the same time...

Happy listening!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

roberto wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:07 am I would like to compliment all the comments with a little trick. All what you have to do is to have fresh batteries, and if they are fresh, give four or five turns to each battery in the remote to clean both battery connectors. The last thing is, take off one battery and put it back. Once you have done this, disconnect the power cord of the preamp for 20 sec or so. Put it back, and you have just reset all the bugs in the remote circuit stage.

What happened ( I hate to assume ) is that perhaps accidentally you pressed two buttons of the remote at the same time...

Happy listening!
Nope. I’ve been to this rodeo as long as you, and have probably been using RC20s longer.

It is not a routine battery contact/ freshness issue. And it is not fumble fingers.

If you do not experience it, that’s another bit of data to support the static charge issue … your humidity is high year round.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:29 pm The RC20 is $300.

Gold brick indeed.

The remote is a weak spot for CJ.

I suppose that since the RC is not part of the sonic path, it may not get the attention it deserves.
The RC-20 for $300...! uh?

Oh, in that case I've been very well looked after. Can't complain. Cheers, happy 😊 😃 as!
Woof! RJ