to stay!
Zoroastro
Regular
Regular

Hello - I'm new to hifi

Post by Zoroastro »

Hello everyone!
I’m not a CJ owner…yet.
I’m considering buying a Premier Fourteen preamp and a Eleven11A amp. They Will be connected to a pair of Proac D2R (ribbon tweeter), which I actually own.
This Will be my first “audiophile” system. I like, I love I must say, music very much and I´ve been listening music with a entry level equipment: Rega Apollo cdp 2017 cd player, Rega Brio amp and BW601 S3 speakers. The amp (Brio) burned out! One chip (I guess it’s a pic) burned out and I can’t fixed it. So I decided to upgrade my system (amp and speakers).
As I know, the most important piece in the audio chain are the speakers (ok, so many different opinions…but I have to take one direction…). I read many reviews about the Proac D2R saying they are wonderfull that I decided to listen to them. They are really excelent speakers! I tested them with tube amps (EL34 and KT88), a chinese amp. I didn’t like the EL34 very much; for acoustic music and small groups, it’s ok, but with rock (Beatles, etc, not heavy metal, trash, etc) I didn’t like; with symphonies, it is awful; not good dynamics or bass . With the same amp and KT88, is another world! The sound stage is great, dynamics also great. So I decided to buy a tube amp (or preamp) with KT88, or similar. But not a chinese.
I began my research and I find those CJ equipment, the 14 preamp and the 11A. amp. As the 11A. has the 6550 tubes (similar to he KT88) I consider buying this amp, and the preamp. So I’d like to ask you your opinion about these equipment and their sinergy (14 and 11A.); how do they match the Proacs.
I know I have to audition the CJ with the Proacs, and I Will do it, but as I Will only audition an hour or two, and IMHO I need one week (it is no posibble), I’d like to hear your thoughts and opinions. I’d really appreciate that.
Kind regards,
Zoroastro.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello - I'm new to hifi

Post by admin »

Welcome to CJO. Great to have you with us.

Glad to hear you are building what sounds to be a great system. I don't think you are going to be disappointed with your introduction of CJ gear into the system. Matter of fact, I think you will be surprised how it elevates the system to a completely different level of high end. You are now playing in the "big leagues." Welcome to the show.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Zoroastro
Regular
Regular

Post by Zoroastro »

Thanks!
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day mate, greetings from Melbourne!

The Rega gear is incredible value for money, in fact I'm using the Rega RP8 Turntable, fitted with a Benz Micro Glider SM cartridge, it's a superb combination!

Speaking of ProAc's, this was one my very first systems. Going back to mid 90's... it was the Premier 11A partnered with a PV12 preamp, driving a pair of ProAc monitors, called Tablet something, can't quite remember the exact model.
Thomas J Norton had done a review of these speakers using the Premier 11A as his main power amplifier. At the end of the review he gave his highest recommendation, and that was, he bought the Premier 11A!

Later on we sold this system to a good customer who was passionate about ProAc's, and we took delivery of another PV12 and Premier 11A. However, this time we ordered mini-monitors from Sonus Faber. They were equally very musical and engaging but didn't quite have the resolution and detail that ProAc's are know for.

Although those Tablets were quite small, driven by the Premier 11A and PV12, the soundstage was superb! It had great depth and holographic imaging, the speakers simply disappear! It was a very fine sound.

Partnered with the Premier 14, you will really appreciate the top quality of these two pieces of fine Art from CJ.
All the best and you're on the right path towards achieving fine musicality!

Let us know how it all goes...
Cheers, RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola from Costa Rica and welcome Zoroastro,

My first recommendation is to install fresh new output tubes in the amplifier and later the small tubes. This will assure the right specs and operation.
You are buying good hi-end goods. Your ears are going to be very happy.
Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Zoroastro
Regular
Regular

Post by Zoroastro »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:08 am G'day mate, greetings from Melbourne!

The Rega gear is incredible value for money, in fact I'm using the Rega RP8 Turntable, fitted with a Benz Micro Glider SM cartridge, it's a superb combination!

Speaking of ProAc's, this was one my very first systems. Going back to mid 90's... it was the Premier 11A partnered with a PV12 preamp, driving a pair of ProAc monitors, called Tablet something, can't quite remember the exact model.
Thomas J Norton had done a review of these speakers using the Premier 11A as his main power amplifier. At the end of the review he gave his highest recommendation, and that was, he bought the Premier 11A!

Later on we sold this system to a good customer who was passionate about ProAc's, and we took delivery of another PV12 and Premier 11A. However, this time we ordered mini-monitors from Sonus Faber. They were equally very musical and engaging but didn't quite have the resolution and detail that ProAc's are know for.

Although those Tablets were quite small, driven by the Premier 11A and PV12, the soundstage was superb! It had great depth and holographic imaging, the speakers simply disappear! It was a very fine sound.

Partnered with the Premier 14, you will really appreciate the top quality of these two pieces of fine Art from CJ.
All the best and you're on the right path towards achieving fine musicality!

Let us know how it all goes...
Cheers, RJ
Thanks for your answer and telling me your experience! It really helps me in my decision.
Next week I'll be auditioning them (the CJ preamp and the CJ amp with my Proacs), I'll tell you how It goes...

Another option is to pair the CJ preamp (Premier 14) to a Mark Levinson Ml-9; I'll also be auditioning this system.
What do you think? any experience?
Best regards.
Zoroastro
Regular
Regular

Post by Zoroastro »

roberto wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:20 am Hola from Costa Rica and welcome Zoroastro,

My first recommendation is to install fresh new output tubes in the amplifier and later the small tubes. This will assure the right specs and operation.
You are buying good hi-end goods. Your ears are going to be very happy.
Happy listening!
Hola, Roberto, cómo estás?
Thanks for your recommendations!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Zoroastro wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:56 pm Another option is to pair the CJ preamp (Premier 14) to a Mark Levinson Ml-9; I'll also be auditioning this system.
What do you think? any experience?
Best regards.
I loved the ML9 30 years ago.
Hope it’s been recapped. 😉
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Driving the ProAc's with a Mark Levinson amplifier will no doubt "drive" quite effortlessly. However, driven with a CJ tube amplifier is something very extraordinary! You'll discover straight away the depth in soundstage and presentation of imaging, its true brilliance in holographic detail is so tangible, you can reach out and touch the musicians.

With the solid state Mark Levinson gear, you don't quite get that. OTOH, you may actually like the Mark Levinson and CJ combination, I wouldn't know. So, you'll have to try it out if you wanted to venture towards Mark Levinson SS gear.

Best, RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

A tube preamp can go a long way to making a SS amp sound better than expected. As mentioned in another thread, I’m getting ready to do some recent/current model Mac and Levinson comparisons. 🙉🙊🙈
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Ah! That's an interesting venture AJ.
Mac and Levinson combinations with CJ tube preamps, can certainly relate to that.

I very clearly remember one of our custom orders included a big MC452 SS partnered with an ACT2, driving Sonus Faber Elipsa's. It was quite good actually to the point of good dynamics, solid bass performance, good control of transients and overall ability to present well recorded material. However, resolution was lacking though.

When we headed back to the dealership, we had a pair of LP260M monoblocks. Just for the heck of it, we took it for a spin on the Elipsa's with the ACT2. POW WOW!!! Lookout! There's just no comparison for the Mac to compete at this level. From the very first note we realised right away!

The best thing is, the owner paid a deposit for the LP260M's, and put the MC452 up for sale. Eventually someone bought it as he was driving an old pair of Infinity's Kappa series and required something better than his old Crown amplifier. This same person then tried out the newer version of the MC452, which is now the MC462. Supposed to have 60% more current capacity and that sort of thing. It certainly did perform better but still didn't quite have the overall power and finesse of CJ's LP series amplifiers.

In one of my last escapades with the mighty Maggie 30.7's, this chap had also sold off his older MC452 and replaced it with the MC462. In fact I did a review on it. There was a definite improvement, no doubt. However, it still had that typical Mac sound, which comes from its transformers or should I say Auto-formers. They're not neutral and add artifices to the overall sound, something that I just can't tolerate, especially on high quality recordings.

CJ's LP series amplifiers are built to such high standards, only their very own ART series amplifiers can equal or surpass them, pretty much nothing else! The Classic amplifiers have some of this DNA in them, and they offer fantastic value for money. CJ's previous Premier series has evolved into the LP series, which has further emerged towards a higher podium in the ART series.

In order for Mac to be able to perform in this arena is fairly impossible, simply because CJ's circuit designs and simplicity, executed along with very high quality parts is in a totally different league. Like I said, there's just no comparison.

This high level of refinement in playback systems can also be found in similar gear, such as Lamm Audio, Kondo Audio Note, VAC, VTL, Aries Ceret and so on... and these systems cost a pretty penny!

Having LP275M'S with an ET7S2, is pretty much top of the line! I wouldn't even bother meddling around with anything of lesser design or value...

Hope it goes well AJ and let us know how you compare the these combinations.
Cheers, RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I think we’re on the same page.

Until you actually get to the Nirvana state, you never know how close you are.

We often fool ourselves into thinking we’ve arrived … but who cares? Happiness is happiness.

Right now one of the lessons that I learn over and over again is just how hard it is to beat clean vinyl played with a Lyra cartridge on a top line LP12, through a TEA1 …

I am sure there are higher levels … but at what cost and to what extent?

I do not expect to find them with integrateds …. But I do expect to have some fun. In fact, it’s already started.
Zoroastro
Regular
Regular

Post by Zoroastro »

Thanks, RJ and AJ!