CT5 Question - Connecting A Subwoofer - Main Outputs?

The PV-1 to now...
Highlander
Regular
Regular

CT5 Question - Connecting A Subwoofer - Main Outputs?

Post by Highlander »

I tried calling CJ, but they appear not to be open today. I'm hoping someone can answer a question for me. I'm adding a subwoofer to my system, and have spoken to the manufacturer about the best way to physically connect it to the system.

Per their recommendation, I would optimally use the second main output connection from the CT5, as long as both the number one and number two outputs are on at the same time, and they are both variable. Can anyone answer those two questions for me? Thanks for any assistance.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: CT5 Question - Connecting A Subwoofer - Main Outputs?

Post by AnotherJohnson »

If it’s like the other CJ preamps, and it’s not broken, it will work fine.

Some folks do it that way … some just run the sub in parallel off the main speakers. I have done both and prefer the latter, but there are many who prefer the former.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Why not just test the outputs by putting the RCA's that go to the amp on 2nd main output? If it functions the same as the 1st, then you are good to go.

Most subs you can also run in serial if needed. Some prefer one over the other and depending on the sub's connection there may be limitations. If you are going to run a sub with it, then I would try all configurations. Who knows what you will like the best and it won't take to much time to change the configurations as you are just changing RCA and speaker cable hookups?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

FWIW, I’m sure it’s not broken.
What’s the sub?

REL recommend putting the sub in parallel with the main speakers because they say it maintains the character of the main driving amp. Also, with CJ preamps, they invert the signal, so if you take care of this by inverting at the main speakers, you don’t have to dial the phase of your sub 180 degrees out of phase, although you do still have to find the best phase setting.

But as I said, there are folks doing it happily either way.

FWIW #2, although I suppose stringing subs together looks like a serial activity, electrically they’re in parallel, no? If they were in series from the circuit’s point of view, the impedance would begin to look like an open circuit.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When I say the sub is in series, I typically refer to the physical connection. For example, RCA cable from preamp into sub, and RCA out from sub into Amp. Parallel would be like a specific RCA sub output on a preamp or receiver going directly to the sub and no outbound connections from there.

But I think you may have a good point in that the internal electrical components are a parallel design. Afterall it's just a crossover that pulls specific low frequencies from the original signal.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.