Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
CTS59
Regular
Regular

New/Not New

Post by CTS59 »

Hi.

Haven't owned a piece of CJ gear in a while, but I do now.

I owned one of the original MV-75's that I drove the mid-top of my Tympani 1D's with back in '77- I was 18 and bought it with my lawnmowing money. Shortly after I went to work selling high end at two different dealers. I bought one of the first Premier 1's and drove it home in my $45 car- priorities, I guess. It truly livened up my previously under-driven 4.5's. Slowed down for those business/family years. College tuition x 2... Anyway, happy to have the time and disposable income to play with.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: New/Not New

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Welcome! CJ is a great sandbox!
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Welcome to CJO, great to have you with us!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Welcome CTS59,

Those Timpani are six panel speakers. I had then long time ago and also had the Timpani 3B with 8 panels. Great sound comes from them.

Happy listening!
Last edited by roberto on Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Cheers and welcome aboard the CJ bandwagon!

Yes, those Typani's definitely bring back some great memories... especially trying to get it right thinking that's the spot, only to learn too much toe in angle and the position drama begins! It's not too difficult to set up right once dialled in nicely and careful attention to detail has been considered. Once that's sorted out, I think they're pretty amazing.

Now, Magnepan offers the 30.7's, it's a huge cumbersome beast. Especially the bass, which is a double panel sort of thing and takes up an awful lot of space. Then the tweeter section and mids ribbon section is housed in a separate ribbon array but positioning this thing to seamlessly blend with the double bass panels is an absolute nightmare!

A former forum member over here ordered the very first pair of 30.7's. Plonked them in a room full of Klipsch horns trippled stacked Lascalas and Corner horns all over the room. The 30.7's are placed right in front of the triple stacked horns, about a 1 meter distance, they never sound right. Then again I've got a good mate in Spore who did have the 30.7's before but sold them off to order the new Alsyvox ribbons. Those 30.7's were driven with Dan D's Relentless monoblocks and the Momentum preamp, placed a very large dedicated room sounds mighty fine!

Anyway, those Typani's are definitely worth restoring once you get the right parts and custom fit.
Enjoy those fine tunes!
Woof! RJ
CTS59
Regular
Regular

Post by CTS59 »

The T1D was definitely a bit challenging. And back in the late 70's, good information was damn tough to come by. Back then you pretty much just had what your dealer would tell you. If you hung around enough you sometimes met other audio geeks you could talk with. Being a teenager, I didn't quite fit in with that crowd of ARC buying doctors and dentists. The internet would have come in handy.

I was remarking the other day about the $2 set of RCA's on the back of the Premier 1. When I bought my 4.5's I connected them with state-of-the-art MONSTER CABLE! Still used Radio Shack interconnects- I think this was a year or so before Audioquest. I did have Fulton Gold's on the Magneplanars though. How times have changed