one channel is out

The PV-1 to now...
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: one channel is out

Post by roberto »

Lotto wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:05 am if i switch the dynakit to mono shouldnt both sides work then? that is not the case either that what is confusing to me also
On the contrary, this is telling that the right channel is not working. You are feeding the same signal to both channels...and the right is not working. To confirm this in a very easy step:

The left channel is working, then just one cable from the preamplifier, does not matters if it is right or left RCA coming from the preamplifier. Connect to the left channel of the amplifier, yes it works. Now this same working RCA connect to the right, it does not work. Conclusion: right channel of the amp is not working.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

While doing this test above, it is wise to turn the power off the power amp each time you are going to do changes. Wait at least 1 minute to have all power supply capacitors to be discharged.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Lotto
Regular
Regular

Post by Lotto »

speakers are checked and working when i swapped jacks i only swapped them at one end is that not right?
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Lotto wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:31 am speakers are checked and working when i swapped jacks i only swapped them at one end is that not right?
Yes
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Lotto wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:31 am speakers are checked and working when i swapped jacks i only swapped them at one end is that not right?
To have a truth table, it is important to follow the numbers in sequence.
A) Test:
1) right channel is not working.

2) if you use the left channel RCA to the input of the amplifier, now right channel is OK.

Possible answers:

Amplifier is OK. Both channels are working in the amplifier. The right RCA cable could be bad or the right channel of the preamplifier is not working.

B)Test:

Swap the position of the cable: RCA left channel connected at the output of the right channel in the preamplifier and the right output channel to the left Channel of the amplifier.

Possible answers:

1) Right channel now working. The left channel is connected to the right channel. And it is working.
2) Both channels at the amplifier are OK. Or bad RCA cable or bad right channel of the pre.

C) Test: checking the RCA cable.

1) Cable has two colours of RCAs, the white is the left. Connect the white to the right output of the preamplifier to the left input of the amplifier.

Possible answers:

1) Sound OK? The preamplifier is OK, RCA red (right) cable is bad.
2) No sound? Bad right channel in the preamplifier.
Lotto
Regular
Regular

Post by Lotto »

thank you all for your suggestions
i had an old ipod that i plugged directly into my dynaco and found it is only playing out of one channel
thereby eliminating that it is not the conrad johnson preamp it id the dynaco that has the problem
thank you all again'
now it off to the dynaco forum!!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Glad you were able to narrow it down. Once fixed, let us know what ultimate component failure occurred.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.