PV-2

The PV-1 to now...
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: PV-2

Post by roberto »

Hola. Usually the nominal value of the balance control variable resistor is 100K ohms. Using an ohmmeter, you can check it too. If it is noisy, move the knob for 5 minutes, from left to right and back, with the preamplifier off. This will clean the dirt, and might work. If the variable resistor is bad, then it's replacement is a must. Also C-J might have it in stock. This will help to you to the the right one, because there are many different shapes and distance of the centre of the shaft.
Happy listening!
Last edited by roberto on Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
ZELJKO
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ZELJKO »

Hello,
I'm looking for the PV2 part list or some photos of genuine parts. My PV2 has a problem due to noise.... ( similar to white noise). The tubes are correct.
I received the electrical diagram but no part list.

Thanks for your help.

Gérard
ZELJKO
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ZELJKO »

Thanks Roberto. I will check it.

Gérard
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Zeljko...how did it go? Did you find the potentiometer that you were looking for? I saw at Ebay nice potentiometers and with patience, you might make them to work and fit into your pre.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
ZELJKO
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ZELJKO »

Hello Roberto
I decided to rebuilt it completelly. I hope it will work again ...Currently I use a Counterpoint SA 5000 ( a temporary loan from one of my friend) .
Salutations

Gérard
Vasilii
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Vasilii »

Hello! Became the owner of CJ MV60SE / PV2. Great couple! Can you tell me what the glowing orange power switch controls? .
Vasilii
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Vasilii »

Hi. What is?
Attachments
20220726_081301.jpg
20220726_081301.jpg (1005.88 KiB) Viewed 762 times
20220726_081301.jpg
20220726_081301.jpg (257.48 KiB) Viewed 762 times
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

BC4F0DD0-EDDB-4A91-95A9-F38E41BFC1EA.jpeg
BC4F0DD0-EDDB-4A91-95A9-F38E41BFC1EA.jpeg (34.84 KiB) Viewed 750 times
This is the official PV 2 faceplate.

So the one you ask about is either a modification, or a counterfeit face plate, or one of the so called Chinese homage models “built after the style of the PV2” (which is also a counterfeit).

My guess is that it’s a modification, probably not from the factory.

Another possibility I suppose is that CJ released this plate but didn’t publicize it. I think this is unlikely… but it’s not impossible. Send your picture to CJ and maybe they’ll know for sure.

FWIW, there are a handful listed on eBay with black knobs and the logo as on yours, but none have the extra light. It’s got to be a clumsy restoration.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think there may have been two versions. Black dials with larger CJ name (as depicted in the 2nd prior post) and then the one directly above with light dials and CJ below. I've seen pictures of both of these on the internet before. As AJ mentions, it could be counterfeit but I find this to be "too nice" (and hence expensive) to be one of those.

The light is definitely a modification and not stock. Most likely just a power on light.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Mmm... that orange light bump could well be a tumor growing. With some minor surgery I reckon best to take it out! Before it spreads...

Sorry mate, I just couldn't help myself but I've never seen anything like that before. I'm not much help...
Also that CJ logo looks totally out of whack! Way different to the original CJ PV2.

All the best, RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:03 am Mmm... that orange light bump could well be a tumor growing. With some minor surgery I reckon best to take it out! Before it spreads...

Sorry mate, I just couldn't help myself but I've never seen anything like that before. I'm not much help...
Also that CJ logo looks totally out of whack! Way different to the original CJ PV2.

All the best, RJ
Here’s the fix

https://www.target.com/p/panoxyl-maximu ... lsrc=aw.ds
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

I know that you could change the knobs, but this is the first time that I see black knobs with a light golden face plate. This is not CJ made. Can you take a photo inside the preamp? With is, seen the components, I could tell more.

Happy listening!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

roberto wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:01 am I know that you could change the knobs, but this is the first time that I see black knobs with a light golden face plate. This is not CJ made. Can you take a photo inside the preamp? With is, seen the components, I could tell more.

Happy listening!
This was really my reaction too, as indicated in my post above.

But when I saw several for sale on eBay, I wondered.

The truth is, if someone were counterfeiting, there would be many offered since it would be cheaper to make 10 or more custom face plates than just one.

Roberto’s request to see the inside would tell the tale.
So would CJ’s response if they were shown the picture.

Seriously, I’ve noticed that there have been an inordinately large number of PV2s offered for sale his past year. And counterfeit Asian sourced casework has also become more common.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:12 am
Big Dog RJ wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:03 am Mmm... that orange light bump could well be a tumor growing. With some minor surgery I reckon best to take it out! Before it spreads...

All the best, RJ
Here’s the fix

https://www.target.com/p/panoxyl-maximu ... lsrc=aw.ds
Nice one matey 👍 will definitely need that!
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Opening the top cover and having a look inside may say one thing but I have my doubts if CJ's team would even bother to look... maybe?

It's very tricky these days going for something original dating back so far away... and not coming out of CJ factory refurb. This is one thing I always make sure of, which is certification! Even when I got my pre and monoblocks modded, they were fully certified by CJ to the full SE version. Mods done thereafter were all fully authorised by our local Aus CJ importer, so I always made sure these were all original factory parts coming direct from VA. I guess that's why it cost me a pretty penny at the end. Fully worth the effort though!

This is where I'm wondering with much older gear, whether potential buyers really are interested in the real thing or not... if so, please tread cautiously. If it's just a one-off sale to pick up any old gear then I guess the seller & buyer have their reasons.

Whatever CJ gear I've either ordered, bought and sold, I've always made sure every item is the original item by sending across the serial numbers and CJ promptly confirms! After all it's very hard earned money, for me at least, so for peace of mind I will only deal with authorised parties.

Hope it all goes well.
RJ