PV12 repair

The PV-1 to now...
Pat Rivet
Advanced
Advanced

Re: PV12 repair

Post by Pat Rivet »

Hello everyone!

It's been a log time since I posted... Maybe because (touching wood) the pre amp goes perfectly well. No major change except the tubes. Thanks to a friend of mine, I bought 3 NOS Westinghouse 12 AU7. Perfect. :D
Just had "my" gremlins" with the 2 12AX7, and since I understood that they come fromm the tubes, I changed with 2 Telefunken... Still have to find a new 5751... except if it could be switched by another 12 AX7??
I really appreciate the PV12-K+H Telawatt combo with my Maggies but I still in touch with a MV 75 owner... Who knows...

Regards to all from France, Pat
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Glad to hear you’re enjoying your gear!

The 5751 has the same socket and voltages as the 12AX7, but it has less gain. So it will probably affect the sound. But, you might like it.

Here is a source, but I don’t know about exporting at this time.

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/jj-5751-preamp-tube

I’d suggest some others too, but I know they’re not exporting at this time due to political restrictions.

Best wishes!
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I had a Gold Lion ECC82 in my PV12 and it was very nice.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Pat Rivet
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Pat Rivet »

Thanks for your feedback!
Cheers, Pat
Dr.Greenthumb
Regular
Regular

Post by Dr.Greenthumb »

Did you end up doing anything with the caps? I just changed out all the caps on my PV11 with Solen caps. Solen are made in France BTW. I think the biggest improvement was changing out the caps in the signal path. 2 of my coupling caps were bad, very microphonic. Dropping in new caps lifted the veil and let the magic happen. I used Solen for the 4uF coupling caps and Mundorf for bypass caps and the coupling caps from tube 1 and 2 to tube 3.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've used Solen caps in some of my equipment and I also endorse the brand.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.