Do It Yourself - everything from building your own hardware to room
treatments.
albert Hunt
Beginner
Beginner

Bob Backert / RHB Conrad Johnson Mods?

Post by albert Hunt »

Hey,

Anyone have their CJ gear modded by Bob Backert? I'm thinking of hiring his conpany to mod my CJ PV12 with phono stage and I'm wondering whether anyone's had this done. If so, does the sound completely change or does it retain some of the CJ character from that era? What did you gain? Did you lose anything? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Bob Backert / RHB Conrad Johnson Mods?

Post by AnotherJohnson »

One thing you lose without any debate is the collectibility of your unit as an unmolested survivor. Third party mods and repairs need to be disclosed if it is offered later for sale. You might find someone who wants the modded unit ,.. but the P. T. Barnum clause will be in play if you get someone to pay full market value.

The second thing you lose is the ability to have CJ work on it in the future ... units that have been modded by third parties are far too much trouble for factory troubleshooting. CJ is not alone with this policy.
Last edited by AnotherJohnson on Sun May 30, 2021 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I own a PV12L. AJ makes some really good points. Also, I think you have to ask is how much is this going to cost and what kind of other gear could you buy with that amount of money and be hassle free. Is the PV-12 the weakest link in the chain, and would an upgrade to the unit cost less and improve the sound more than putting those funds to use somewhere else in the chain?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
albert Hunt
Beginner
Beginner

Post by albert Hunt »

Thanks for your thoughts thus far. My PV12 is already modded with a mono switch on the back and an IEC inlet so I can use aftermarket power cords- both noticeable improvements.

I have very little space and so having a phono stage and preamp in one box is a big plus. I also like the understated aesthetic of the PV12 and my Premier 11. Shallow perhaps, but it's important to me.

While we're on the topic of modding, it would nice to have a set of MC step up transformers installed inside the unit both for the aforementioned space reasons because that would mean one less set of interconnects. At the moment I'm using a high output MC, but plan to move to a low output cartridge.

Essentially, I'm hoping to get the most out of the units I own.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

If it’s already modded, have at it. It will be fun.

And so we find a fourth approach to the hobby.

Listen to music
Listen to sound
Curate for posterity and vintage market
Modify to see what can be accomplished.
Maybe #5 is assorted combinations of the above.

Are there more? Maybe. They’ll probably turn up.

Meanwhile, the guys who do mods can become famous in their own rite. Almost cult like. If you’ve heard of the guy, someone must have liked what he did well enough to promote it.

I hope someone can report.
albert Hunt
Beginner
Beginner

Post by albert Hunt »

Yeah, I'll probably do it. I've read nothing but great things about Backert's work. Just kind of curious.
Truth71
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Truth71 »

FYI: For low output MC cartrifges, Rothwell makes compact and really nice SUT for very reasonable prices
simsjim
Regular
Regular

Post by simsjim »

Hi All

Older thread, but wondering what the outcome was for Mr. Hunt. I have a PV-10A, and I was contemplating Backert's mods as well. Any improvement to the phono preamp sections would be great. I am keenly interested in an internal mod to accommodate LOMC as well. I would love a way to select MM or MC and dial in impedance adjustment from within the CJ circuitry.

Although a recent visit to his website (Backert Labs dot com) makes it appear as if he is focusing more on new products (of his own design and making) instead of mods. Is he still doing mods? Can anyone speak to their experiences if so?

Thanks All,
James
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

https://www.conradjohnsonowners.com/vie ... php?t=2285

This thread identifies another fellow who is working on repairs, mods, and restorations.
lectrolink
Regular
Regular

Post by lectrolink »

Updating an old thread...
I sent my CJ pv8 to Bob Backert for refresh and mods in 2019. Be installed his gain stage mod, which entailed switching out the 12ax7s for 12au7s. He also replaced old capacitors and upgraded to an Auricap in the phono stage.
I was (and still am) very happy with the noticeable increase in detail, resolution, better soundstage, bass authority. PV8 circuit board was difficult for him to work on so he did charge somewhat more for modifying this particular model. In my opinion, it retains the essential character of the pv8 and extends the abilities toward what many would consider a more 'modern' sound.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

lectrolink wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:21 pm Updating an old thread...
I sent my CJ pv8 to Bob Backert for refresh and mods in 2019. Be installed his gain stage mod, which entailed switching out the 12ax7s for 12au7s. He also replaced old capacitors and upgraded to an Auricap in the phono stage.
I was (and still am) very happy with the noticeable increase in detail, resolution, better soundstage, bass authority. PV8 circuit board was difficult for him to work on so he did charge somewhat more for modifying this particular model. In my opinion, it retains the essential character of the pv8 and extends the abilities toward what many would consider a more 'modern' sound.
Very nice. The unit should give you many years of good service now.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.