Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: HD3

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I misunderstood it would appear.

It sounded as though the signal was present at the speakers and playing.

But that the ET3 wasn’t controlling the volume. Roberto suggested the same understanding by noting that the tape out is not modulated.

I do know about fixed vs variable volume settings, but either one should make it to the preamp and then be modulatable from there.

In any event, I’m glad it’s sorted out.

The ET3SE was my first ET series preamp. I thought it absolutely blew my PV preamps out of the water. “The Mini GAT.”
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hmm. I understood as zero output once he went to Windows 10,... I suppose it wasn't crystal clear.

The issue with the pre-DAC volume control is that you are essentially cutting the dynamic range. Then, later at the preamp, you are modulating the reduced dynamic range signal. It would be the digital equivalent of sending it through an equalizer prior to the preamp. Not ideal.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Yes. I described this back in the post when I dusted off the ND8006 network player which has either fixed or variable output settings. Fixed is better of course.

I think here Roberto and I were using old logic, boomer logic, grandpa logic… and it wasn’t compatible with modern logic. 😵‍💫
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.