EV-1 Gain too high

The PV-1 to now...
Music Matters
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: EV-1 Gain too high

Post by Music Matters »

...and to answer your original question why it's measuring 55db vs 49 or 50 (I have seen both values quoted from CJ for the EV1)I am not sure. Check v3 is a 5751...if it's a 12ax7 there this would take it up possibly 10-15% according to my local technician. I tried a 12ax7 in v3 and didn't like it...too much noise...I use Sovtek or tungsol 5751 in v3 and works best for me. However...if it sounds good once you try a cartridge around 0.8 then the 55db will be great. I wish mine was 55db vs 49/50db! But as others have said, whether it's been modded to 55db, or is 49db, same recommendations re. Cartridge output. CJ say 0.4 to 1.0. I like the 0.7, 0.8 best in my system. I think the EV1 is a lovely sounding phono stage fyi, but it is limited in terms of cartridges that match it well.

Hope this helps and let us know if you try a lower output cartridge if it fixes your issues. What valves/tubes are in there now?

Kind regards,

Graham
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/vinyl/vinyl200203.htm

Here, the recommended output cartridge is .6mV for this preamp.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Music Matters
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Music Matters »

Roberto: CJ recommend 0.4 to 1.0 for the EV1. I agree with the article you provided, however and like higher than 0.4. From personal experience I find the Benz glider sm, 0.8 and Benz gullwing SHR, 0.7, work best. The 0.5 Ortofon Cadenza Blue .. officially 0.5 but reviews say this is conservative when they measured and it measured higher, was also great with just a higher number on the pre to get the same volume.
Music Matters
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Music Matters »

I asked in 2013 about the Ev1. Loading, upgrading the premier 11a or Ev1 first, and cartridge possibilities, and this was their response from the service department. I always find CJ service to be very helpful and informative🙂

Ed is no longer with conrad-johnson, having taken a well-earned
retirement at the end of last year. Conferring with our engineers, I
have the following for you:

1. There is considerable range of opinion regarding the optimal load for
MC type cartridges. Some insist that 47K is universally correct. Others
want to match the output impedance of the cartridge (NEVER a good idea
in our opinion). Though we have no experience with the Glider SM, we
have found 1.9K to be a load well suited to many moving coil type
cartridges. In the end, what sounds best to you is the correct load.

2. If your serious listening is entirely or mainly to vinyl playback,
then we would recommend upgrading the EV1 first. If the tubes have a few
years of use on them, treat it to a fresh tube set at the same time.

3. Although the EV1 will provide sufficient gain for cartridges down to
about 0.25mV, we recommend avoiding very low output phono cartridges in
general. Ideally look for a cartridge with output from 0.4mV to 1mV.

regards,
Mel
conrad-johnson design
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

And Mojofilter17 is using a Shure V 15 type III with an output of 3.5mV. The reason why he is getting to much volume is because the recommended cartridge output for this preamp EV1 should be from 0.4 mV up to 1mV.

Of course I remember Mel...great helpful person. I am with Conrad Johnson since 1982 as their man here in Costa Rica. I got the rep from Mr Mike Berns, a New-Yorker who had several high end brands and he handled the sales for export.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Music Matters
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Music Matters »

👍
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

It was my understanding that he understood all of this.

His question was “why does my EV1 have 55dB of gain instead
of the nominal 49.

Obviously he had the capability to do measurements and calculate gain.

For a 3.5 mV cartridge, 40 dB would be a better match. But, if the EV1 were actually 49 as he thought, he might skate by with it using low volume settings on his preamp.

I was surprised about the 3.5 mV output rating, because some of the other Shure V15s were rated for 5 mV iirc.

In any event, the cartridge load definitely ought to be set at 47 kOhms for that cartridge.

There’s way too much stuff we do not know about this system to give good advice.

His EV1 has more gain than published. Why is speculation.

And if it had the right amount, it would still not be an ideal match to his cartridge.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

https://www.stereophile.com/content/shu ... -cartridge

I had a couple of these when they were new. Before them, I was using Pickering, Stanton, Grado, Empire, etc.

My recollection of the 5 mV output was peak rather than rms. 3.5 would be rms.

Of course very few recordings have passages at the velocity levels required to give this kind of output level.

The Shure V15 family was known for its masterful tracking capabilities.

I moved on to Clearaudio, Denon, Dynavector and Ortophon moving coils as my taste, and their capabilities evolved. I do still have one V15 style Shure, but it’s equipped with their spherical 78 rpm stylus. It’s on my Dual rim drive table, and only used for 10” 78 rpm laquers. I run it through a 40 dB gain phono preamp.

I was still using Ortophons up until about 7 or 8 years ago when, after a brief interlude with Linn badged cartridges, I discovered Lyra, and have not looked back.

I had a number of conversations with CJ about gain and loading during the transition from Ortofon to Lyra. I think the advice from JF all turned out to be good advice and eventually led me to the TEA2MAX and TEA1 after periods with Linn and ARC phono preamps. I have to admit that CJ and late model ARC phono preamps are the ones that I like best, but as folks know, it’s all system dependent.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

I remember talking with Lew about the cartridge sensitivity long time ago. He said that if I could tell the exact cartridge that the customer was going to use, they (CJ) will send the unit with the appropriated sensitivity for it...and it worked at that time. When a MM cartridge was going to use, a less sensitive phono preamp was going to be sent. Perhaps this is the case with that particular EV1. It is for MC cartridges and not for MM. I am just guessing here.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

roberto wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:04 pm I remember talking with Lew about the cartridge sensitivity long time ago. He said that if I could tell the exact cartridge that the customer was going to use, they (CJ) will send the unit with the appropriated sensitivity for it...and it worked at that time. When a MM cartridge was going to use, a less sensitive phono preamp was going to be sent. Perhaps this is the case with that particular EV1. It is for MC cartridges and not for MM. I am just guessing here.
What you suggest is consistent with my CJ experience dating back decades too.
goonybird
Pro
Pro

Post by goonybird »

I have EV1. Using audiotechnica art9xa output 0.2mv with ear mc3 sut.
Recently acquired an audio technica art 9 output 0.5 mv and trying straight into EV1.settled on 500 ohms. There is a slight valve hiss/rush with ear to speaker at normal listening levels. Is this what to expect. It does seem preferable to a low level hum when using the sut.
Denon AVC8500H, CJ EV1 phono , CJ Premiere 17ls, Conrad Johnson Premier 12 MBs, Kef Ref 203,202c,204ds, HTS2001 x6, HTS1001, C130ER. Denon DBT3313UD, Technics Sl1200G, Goldring Ethos, EAR MC3 MC SUT,