PV15 or Classic 2/2se

The PV-1 to now...
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PV15 or Classic 2/2se

Post by admin »

Rubicon15 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:47 pm I received the ET3SE Friday. It is definitely in mint condition. I installed a new Gold Lion 6922 tube. CJ recommended the GL as an upgrade. I remove my Bryson BP6 and hooked up the ET3SE. All I can say is WOW… What a difference! Even with the new tube, the ET3SE delivers that classic CJ laid back/tube sound that is clearly sonically superior compared to the Bryston.

I am streaming music using a Bryston BDP. I’m also still using a Bryston BDA -2 DAC. Now I’m thinking about upgrading my DAC in the future. Any thoughts regarding DACs that pair well with CJ? Bryston’s BDA 3.14 DAC is class A and incorporates a streamer.
Great to hear. The ET3SE is a great unit.

As for DAC recommendations, there are tons to choose from. Roberto and I have recently bought Holo Audio May DAC's and we both seem to be very happy with them. But of course there are literally 100's on the market to choose from. If interested, here is the topic on that particular DAC: https://www.conradjohnsonowners.com/vie ... php?t=2179
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Rubicon15
Pro
Pro

Post by Rubicon15 »

Thanks for the link. I read your reviews and checked out the thread. The Halo sounds like a really nice DAC. However, if possible, I would prefer to purchase one made in the USA, Canada, Japan, Taiwan, etc., not China.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

👏👏👏
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

FWIW, the Luxman DA-250 is hand made in Japan.

The Marantz SA-KI Ruby SACD has a DAC that received good reviews. It was also made in Japan.

McIntosh says theirs are made in the USA. Levinson also claims theirs are made in the US (one is included as part of the 5101 SACD).

It is getting harder and harder to avoid Chinese sourced gear. The whole West appears to have shifted their manufacturing to China, from Norway to Britain to the USA.
Rubicon15
Pro
Pro

Post by Rubicon15 »

Any thoughts regarding the Levinson 5101 CD/Streamer/DAC? I like the notion of an integrated DAC/Steamer. I wasn’t in the market for a CD player. There may be better DAC/streamers available for consideration. MK designs and manufactures some pretty good equipment and it’s made in the USA.
Rubicon15
Pro
Pro

Post by Rubicon15 »

AJ, I just noticed you have a pair of 705 S2 speakers. How do you like them compared to others you have owned or auditioned? I sent a PM but I don’t think it sent for some reason.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

It sent and I responded. It stays in your outbox until the recipient opens it. I was confused by this too when I first used PMs here.

As for the B&W705S2s, I have been surprisingly pleased by them.

The last speakers I had in the role of second system were Revel Performa3 series … the F208, and the M126Be.

I am surprised by the 705S2s “big” sound. Great detail. Excellent bass extension for such a small package. Great voice renditions for familiar programs. Very nice snap (dynamics). Stable imaging.

Using the front center of each tweeter as the marker, mine are about 45” from the side walls and a bit closer to the wall behind them ( maybe 30”), toed in making a 9’ equilateral triangle with the listener position. The wall behind is probably 20+ feet back. There are area rugs and open book cases on the side walls. I am not using the port plugs. They are mounted on Revel M16 stands so that the tweeters are at my seated ear level. Between the speakers and the stands I’m using a quilted rubber layer of kitchen cupboard shelf liner.

The last few nights I’ve been tickled at how well the 705S2s play at low levels. They sound great cranked, but they idle as beautifully as any I can remember.

I demo stuff at the showroom often. I am told that they value my comments. I don’t take long to judge things. I liked these well enough to bring them home. I’ve been pleased that they are achieving the promise I thought they’d have.

FWIW, my only reservation is that B&W, like so many others, is manufacturing in China … of course I like the price.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The Rega Saturn R CD/DAC is reportedly made in England. SteveFord just got one and started a thread.
Ancient tones
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Ancient tones »

How's that ET3SE Rubicon?
SteveFord
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by SteveFord »

I just looked around and by next month I won't have any audio gear made in China.
I lied, Oppo and REL T1 subwoofer.

Is there a BluRay player that is NOT made in China?
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

SteveFord wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:36 pm I just looked around and by next month I won't have any audio gear made in China.
I lied, Oppo and REL T1 subwoofer.

Is there a BluRay player that is NOT made in China?
It’s just about impossible to avoid Chinese sourced stuff these days. Just the phones alone prove that.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree. It's really impossible. Even products that are made in the "US/Europe/etc.." probably have components, or at the very least, base materials that have come out of China. This is especially true for technology components as China is the predominant source or rare earth elements.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/rare-e ... -are-they/

I think a realistic approach is to try and buy companies that employ mostly US/European workers and that are based outside of CCP's control.... although western companies are starting to bow to the wishes of China's government. That have at least the design and maybe final production outside of China. But this is getting harder and harder with the increase in globalization.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Ancient tones wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:03 pm How's that ET3SE Rubicon?
Rubicon15 wrote:

I recently added the ET3SE and it’s been welcomed addition - sonically superior to my old Bryston BP-6 preamp.

And in another post he wrote:

I received the ET3SE Friday. It is definitely in mint condition. I installed a new Gold Lion 6922 tube. CJ recommended the GL as an upgrade. I remove my Bryson BP6 and hooked up the ET3SE. All I can say is WOW… What a difference! Even with the new tube, the ET3SE delivers that classic CJ laid back/tube sound that is clearly sonically superior compared to the Bryston.

For me (AJ), the ET3SE was an ear opener. I had had several PV preamps (one upgraded to the CJD Teflon caps), as well as preamps from Krell and AR, but when I plugged that ET3SE in, I was treated to a new level of presence, air around instruments and voices, and an openess that just begged to be compared to a true live performance.

I was hooked. I bought my ET3SE on Jack Tozzi’s recommendation with a somewhat skeptical view. Jack was right. Any time there are two models available, one with CJ’s best premium parts, and one not so blessed, I spring for the upgraded model.

There is no SE model for the ET7 series because they’re already building it at the top level. Same with LP275Ms. My TEA2 is the MAX version which is a further step above the SE version. My TEA1 was upgraded to the best for the s1 series. My 2550 was the SE version. I tried to get my CA150 upgraded, but they no longer stocked all of the highest level resistors, so it couldn’t be done.

The SE models seem expensive compared to the non SE models, but to my ears, the extra cost is justified.
tj-sully
Regular
Regular

Post by tj-sully »

Hey folks…I am new to this forum and couldn’t help but register and chime into this fantastic thread.

I am in a similar boat as the OP with Bryston digital front end - and recently purchased a CJ Classic 62 amp. I absolutely love it. I have had many Bryston preamps and recently purchased a Pass Labs X12 preamp.

Having said that…I am in the market for a CJ preamp to pair with my Classic 62. I have been ooogling over the Premier 17LS but have not been able to source one.
I have an opportunity to purchase a PV14 but when I look at the innards, it seems a little bare…not that looks tell the story….but compared to the 17LS it seems a bit…well, bare.

Any thoughts on whether to pull the trigger on the PV14 or hold out for a 17LS or even a ET3? I must admit I am leaning towards the warm side of neutral as my solid state setup (X12 + XA60.8) is extremely transparent and neutral.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

T
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

If they were both available and in good shape, I’d rather have the Premier 17LS than the PV14, though either could be very nice. An ET3SE would be nice too, and would be my preference, but you may prefer the older units’ sound signature, which I would characterize as transitional from traditional CJ to modern CJ.

There are always compromises. What’s available and the budget may be in the driver’s seat. Best of luck.
tj-sully
Regular
Regular

Post by tj-sully »

Thanks Another Johnson! Much appreciated.

Quick update…i ended up buying a PV10AL but when I got it, the right channel output was about 6dB lower than the left. So I sent it back for a refund.

The good news is I might be making a trade deal for an ACT2. It’s a long shot. But what a beautiful looking preamp.

Do ya think the ACT2 and Classic 62 would make a good pairing…driving a pair of Cornwall IV’s? My sense is…hell ya!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I hope the ACT2 deal goes through. You’ll enjoy that system I’m sure.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very nice. ACT2 definitely over a PV10, hope you score that deal!
-admin
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

What a great thread! There is so much helpful information here and just want to say how much I appreciate those who have contributed their expertise.

Ciao,
Paolo