The CJ "Golden Glow" - an inquiry

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Re: The CJ "Golden Glow" - an inquiry

Post by Paolo »

Since my initial post, I've done more research into other CJ components. I've been listening to the CAV 45 for many hours each day, and have realized that the amp more than meets my needs. One very pleasant surprise, is that when I connected the CJ to a pair of modified Magnepan MMGs the results were superb :)

I want to thank all of you for your insights and very helpful comments.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Good call!
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:01 pm Good call!
:D
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Paolo,
I think you made the right decision.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, an excellent match!

CJ and Maggie's... I've had nearly every Maggie model with CJ gear and VTL. Although the VTL gear had absolutely no issues driving Maggie's to their full potential, the CJ gear just made Maggie's sing! A wonderful match, you can listen till the kookaburra's come home...

How were the MMG's modded? Were the x-overs modded as well as the structure / frames? The mods done on rigidity are remarkable! Really takes the performance level to well over 40%! In my experience that is.

Very glad you're enjoying the CAV45-S2, it's vfm is untouched in this category.
Cheers, and keep enjoying those fine tunes!
Woof! RJ
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:38 am Yes, an excellent match!

CJ and Maggie's... I've had nearly every Maggie model with CJ gear and VTL. Although the VTL gear had absolutely no issues driving Maggie's to their full potential, the CJ gear just made Maggie's sing! A wonderful match, you can listen till the kookaburra's come home...

How were the MMG's modded? Were the x-overs modded as well as the structure / frames? The mods done on rigidity are remarkable! Really takes the performance level to well over 40%! In my experience that is.

Very glad you're enjoying the CAV45-S2, it's vfm is untouched in this category.
Cheers, and keep enjoying those fine tunes!
Woof! RJ
Thank you, Dog.
The MMG's have modded cross-overs, a hi-fi tuning fuse and came with very heavy MYE stands. Whoever did the crossover work was fastidious. I won't remove the socks to see what was done because everything fits so nicely. I prefer these MMGs to my former .7's, at least in my small room. The CJ sounds much better to me than the VTL IT-85 I sold last year. I'd gotten the CJ thinking I'd pair it with my Sonus Faber monitors, but after realizing how good the CJ is with the MMG's I'll be looking for another amp for the Fabers. Maybe a hybrid of some sort. After selling my vintage separates, I think integrateds are THE way to go for me. Keeping it relatively simple.
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Paolo »

admin wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:40 pm Paolo,
I think you made the right decision.
Thank you, sir. With a little help from my CJ friends, the decision became easier. :)