Classic 62 in single-ended configuration?

From tubes to solid state.
tubesound
Advanced
Advanced

Classic 62 in single-ended configuration?

Post by tubesound »

Hi friends

Can the Classic 62 be configured to run in single-ended instead of ultra-linear?

If any of you have done so, I would love to hear about your experiences!

Cheers
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Classic 62 in single-ended configuration?

Post by roberto »

Hola tubesound,

This is my humble opinion: when you say single ended, do you mean Class A? It is a totally different design and you might need to redo all the printed circuit board.

The 62 model has the CJ signature sound quality. As it is, it is a wonderful power amplifier. It has enough power to drive my Martin Logan's CLXs easy. If you are thinking to make a model Art27A with it, it is not an easy task.The power supply, the output transformers, the printed circuit board and the value of the components are totally different. There is a difference between the ultra linear vs class A-B too. I do know also that you do know that too. If you find the right way to do it, please share it with us. Perhaps I am an old fashion guy and I like things as they are. Some mods do not work many times as we might think it would. I might be wrong, but this is my 2 cents.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
tubesound
Advanced
Advanced

Post by tubesound »

Hola Roberto, thanks for sharing your insights and I always enjoy reading your contributions to this forum!

The view that because the Classic 62 was designed to be ultralinear, it is better to not change it to single-ended is a reasonable one. Another way of looking at it is that some of CJ's MV series power amps can be configured as single-ended, as is mentioned in CJ's official descriptions of the amps. I doubt you would think that those amps are better left in ultra-linear configuration, but rather I suspect you would admit that it is a matter of personal preference.

Since the MV-60 can be configured for triode operation, I am still curious to know if the Classic 62 can be configured that way too in a relatively easy way.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Thanks for your kind comments tubesound,

My mind could tricked me...it is very usual thing that this happens to me. I think that the model that could do the mod is the 62SE, the config is different than the 62. Not only the output tubes are different, also the PCB conductive foils are different. Reading you, I do can say that you have the skills and also the knowledge to do the job.

Perhaps you should address your question direct to Jeff. He really knows if it is an easy task or not.

I understand your points too. Triode operation is fantastic!. Yes, you are right. The MV series were designed with that option too. Sorry, I wish I could be a much better help with your project.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, CJ did offer this triode version back in the day... referred to as the "XS" version. It basically havled the output power as well. That was decades ago though... not offered on the newer gear but for changes to triode can be done at the CJ factory. In which case you have to go through JF.
They'll charge a premium for this job but that's because it's a business.

If you do happen to know a reliable techie, who's worked in this gear before, highly skilled and experienced... then no issues at all. They're out there... need to find them.

All the best, RJ