Roon Nucleus

Amps, preamps, speakers, cables, and any other Non-CJ products.
audiobill
Pro
Pro

Re: Roon Nucleus

Post by audiobill »

Good to know, thanks -
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

audiobill wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:45 am I really like the Roon integration of Qobuz, Tidal and my collection into an endless stream of music to my taste.
This is, of course, an important point that I’ve not drilled down on. The people who own and curate a significant number of files can make even better use of Roon than someone like me. My personal owned library is comprised of SACDs, CDs, tapes, cassettes, shellac and vinyl. No bits. No bytes.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
audiobill
Pro
Pro

Post by audiobill »

But if you rip your cds and SACDs, they can integrate into Roon. Can still play them individually, but I bet you won't :)
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

audiobill wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:00 pm But if you rip your cds and SACDs, they can integrate into Roon. Can still play them individually, but I bet you won't :)
100% in agreement. I could … but I won’t.

I did a free trial of Roon back when it first came out. I was running it on an iMac.

We had AT&T DSL provided by Frontier as our only isp.

The idea of streaming was a pipe dream. But there was the promise of ripping my hard media and using Roon for organization.

I was not happy with the quality of the ripped music. That is not to say that I explored it fully or that I mastered the media. I did not. It seemed to be a lot of work for what in my case would be a poor payoff.

My listening habits are album focused. I don’t make track playlists. I play albums.

Old habits die hard. And it may be further ingrained by my involvement with the music industry rather than the radio industry. I’ve always preferred to play whole albums rather than tracks.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I also tend to be an album vs individual track listener. One thing that streaming has changed a little is when my followed artists release singles, I usually will put them into a mix playlist and when that playlist length reaches about an hour or so, I will just play that. But mostly full albums.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I think that for my personal musician preferences, good albums have clear threads running through them. They set a mood as intended by the artist.

Of course this isn’t true of all albums. For example, toward the end of his life Wes Montgomery started recording pop hits. To me those albums are unlistenable… at best Muzak.

Speaking of Muzak, did you know that Frank McIntosh (according to the McIntosh history book) was involved in that business too? It was another market for electronics.