Magnepan LRS

Amps, preamps, speakers, cables, and any other Non-CJ products.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Magnepan LRS

Post by admin »

Excellent. Sounds like it worked out well.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just found this great video on Youtube on how they make the LRS. It really goes through step by step on the production line. It's amazing that they can price the speaker so low when there is so much manual labor involved and that labor is in the US.

https://youtu.be/4N6vZ6CoSeM
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Nice video. Thanks for sharing.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Good old Wendell D, always entertaining to hear his thoughts. Says he'll remain with the company until he loses his mind and body parts fall off... one thing he's in the right building, for if and when his body parts fall off they can use some of those glues to put Humpty back together again!

Very labour intensive process, no doubt. They've been doing this for several decades, I guess they will retain those workers who have mastered the required skills. Didn't know that the founder Jim Winey was a former 3M executive. No wonder... clever chap.

How they keep the costs low is apparently shown in the video. Simple parts, decent quality, mdf frames, no fancy gold plated or pure silver this & that, lot of adhesives and staples, sanding, painting, simple magnetic work, no fancy Neodymium's, that'll definitely keep the cost low, and just handled very carefully. It's remarkable this is all done in the US of A... would've probably reduced the cost in half if done in China but then quality will suffer.

Magnepan didn't want to further reduce costs going overseas, just to squeeze out more profits and fill their pockets. Good on them for staying on home soil!

Which makes me wonder why those bloody Clarisys panels are so damn expensive and made in Vietnam! It's a cross between Singapore, Vietnam and Switzerland. I guess the Swiss cheese added that extra 300% mark up. No matter how good the Clarisys line is, and the high grade parts they use, still made in Vietnam is no excuse for exhorbitant spend. They offer a standard version that costs quite a lot as is then they offer Neodymium version that costs 25% more! Whatever... still made in Vietnam, I would be a total idiot to buy these speakers.

However, Alsyvox I can understand where the price is structured. Made in Spain and Cyprus, with Italian design & tech, combining the finest parts, there are no compromises. They don't offer different versions of magnets either. All their models use exclusively Neodymium's, nothing else. So I'd expect the final price to be high, no worries mate.

However, taking things into perspective and looking at the total picture of system gear, room set-up, and accessories to run Maggie's is by far the greatest vfm. There's no denying it, and they do sound pretty darn good.

Cheers to Maggie's!
That deserves a mighty WOOF!
RJ