Headphone amp connectivity to ET5

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Headphone amp connectivity to ET5

Post by jimbones »

I own a ET5 and use both RCA outs (One for mains and one for subs) I want to add a Headphone amp. Do I just split one of the RCA's? Will it handle 3 outputs connected to it?? Also any suggestions for the HPA? I would say budget is $500. Thanks.
Jim
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Headphone amp connectivity to ET5

Post by admin »

I typically don't like RCA Y-splitters but it should work.

Is there another way to get input into the subs, like via the speaker cable between the amp and your speakers? Do you really need the subs?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
jimbones
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by jimbones »

admin wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:42 pm I typically don't like RCA Y-splitters but it should work.

Is there another way to get input into the subs, like via the speaker cable between the amp and your speakers? Do you really need the subs?
I agree however my sub placement dictates that the hi level inputs would not be a convenient solution as they are far from the amps/speakers.

I do benefit from having the subs connected. I could have my buddy Pete at TWL make me a custom Y splitter ....
VPI Classic II, Dynavector 20X2L, Art Audio Vinyl Reference, CJ ET5 Linestage, CJ Premier 12's, NAD M23, Holo Spring 3 Dac, Emotica ERC3 Transport, Roon Rock, TWL, Wywires, etc
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

AudioQuest (and no doubt others) will make Y type RCA or XLR splitters for this purpose.

I had some AQ McKenzies made when I was vertically biamping a pair of MF amps. I sold them later when I moved on to Krell and had some XLR style Y connectors made to match with Krell.

The important thing iirc is that your preamp wants to see 20k Ohms or more at its outputs.

So you may need to be sure that the input impedance of the headphone amp and the other amp are at least 20k Ohms when combined in parallel as you propose.

It will “work” even if the impedance isn’t per the spec, but the load could strain the preamp, leading to lower quality bass, less detail, and other sonic issues.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

You could get a headphone amp with volume control. Then use your record out jacks (theatre out, processor out, or whatever etc).
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Here’s another solution.

https://conradjohnson.com/conrad-johnso ... amplifier/

This headphone amp has two line level inputs.

Split your phono preamp output to one. Split your other source to the other. Don’t turn on the ET5.

Another solution is to ditch the ET5 in favor of a preamp with a built in headphone amp.

Another is to set up a separate headphone stack with new sources. Marantz makes modestly priced components with built in headphone amps. They don’t need to drive speakers.

Will the ET5 even allow you to shut off your speakers in favor of an alternate output?

Headphone listening is usually a courtesy path to avoid bothering others nearby. It’s never like your main speakers.

Before I got the Burmester 088 which has a built in headphone amp, my headphone stack was a Marantz ND8006 streamer connected via coax to the DAC in my Marantz SA-KI Ruby, with Ruby output connected via rca to my Sennheiser headphone amp and headphones. Sources were the ND8006/Ruby DAC, and the CD/SACD in the Ruby. I did not have a phono cabability, but headphone listening isn’t well suited to jumping up and down to fool with a TT anyway. I could have skipped the Sennheiser headphone amp and plugged directly into the Ruby’s built in. But the Sennheiser sound just a bit better. I set this up next to my listening chair, and it was very nice for both disks and streamed files (using the free HEOS app). You could substitute a Bluesound Node for the ND8006 and that was very nice in my setup too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I just finished looking over the ET5 manual. I don’t see any provision for choosing between Main Out 1 and Main Out 2.

So I think you’re stuck if you want to use the ET5 as a separately addressable headphone source selector.

Maybe someone else sees how to to it without removing the external speakers from the audio output.

FWIW, the Levinson 5805 had a great built in headphone amp.

That would be a very nice control center, complete with a phono preamp, for a separate headphone listening set up.

A 5805, 5101, and Bluesound Node would be a superb all sources combo set up for headphone listening. And if the phones are plugged in, the Main Out jacks are dead.

Maybe RJ or Roberto or Joe A or one of the others has some better ideas.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Another solution, if you remove the TT from headphone listening, is to just use something like the Marantz ND8006 on its own. It has the streamer, the DAC, the CD drawer, and the headphone amp all in one. Used they can be had for $600 to $900. HEOS will interface with Tidal, Amazon, and several other services (not Qobuz). The ND8006, or its successors, are a modest way to get a headphone capability if you don’t mind not having TT and SACD at the headphone location.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I just noticed your $500 budget for this project.

I just don’t think you can get there from here.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

The only time I use headphones is when listening to music playing from my laptop. Nothing occurs to me other than what's been suggested, and the budgetary constraint might be a limiting factor for anything other than y-splitters.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You may want to look at the Bluesound Node X. It's a little above your budget ($750) but is has a headphone amp built in as well as upgraded DAC compared to the previous Node (which I can vouch is a solid device for the money as I own one and seems to be very popular at audio shops I have visited).

PS- I deleted the duplicate topic so the conversation can continue here.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Here’s an “on budget” solution.

https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/products ... 4389754991

It’s a HEOS controlled device with a multi format disk player, headphone jack, MM Phono input, and capability to play multi channel programs.

This one’s open box, so way under your budget. I’ve got one in my low cost HT. You could do worse.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:20 pm
with a multi format disk player
I meant “add a multi format disk player”. There are some Sony models that will keep you under budget, especially if you buy used or open box.

Like these

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage ... &keys=keys

Some of them are under $100.