Premier 11 to Premier 11 XS

From tubes to solid state.
mstrshikadance
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Premier 11 to Premier 11 XS

Post by mstrshikadance »

Does anyone know whether you are able to convert the Premier 11 to Premier 11 XS?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Premier 11 to Premier 11 XS

Post by admin »

It's not listed as one of the upgrade options on CJ's site. You may want to send them an email to make sure. Adding the bias filter of the Premier 11A should be an easier upgrade than the total tube reconfiguration of the XS model but anything is doable I suppose.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, this can be done. Have done so in the past but this is going way back to 95/98. Ed D (chief tech at CJ) did two XS versions for us at the factory. It was changing a few resistors and other internal wiring. The total power output drops to half, around 35w and the XS version is fitted with EL34's. It was fantastic! The soundstage was superb! One of the best we've ever experienced at the time BUT the XS version has to be matched with the right speaker load, otherwise the EL34's will run out of puff!

I'm not sure who can do the XS version for you now... LJ used to send us the XS kit, and we'd get our local techie to do the job. After Ed sent us the two original versions that were converted to XS, based on customer orders, thereafter our local techie attended to these mods. Like I said this is going way back to 98... now it's 2023, so I wouldn't know.

All the best, RJ
mstrshikadance
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by mstrshikadance »

Thanks RJ. I will check it out.
mstrshikadance
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by mstrshikadance »

Just spoke to Cj this morning. Going to send in my P11 to convert to XS as well as upgrade the caps and have an overall service.

I love my P11 but I have no plan to change my speakers for years to come so I think this will better mesh with my current set up.

This service should keep my amp functioning for years to come.

Thanks all
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great news. Definitely a good idea if you plan to keep the Premier 11 for a long time. Just the general service is a good idea, going to the XS version is a nice cherry on the top.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Now that's a great plan!
Sending the unit across to CJ HQ is the best and ultimate option. They'll do a great job on it.

Now you'll be enjoying some very fine tunes in no time.
Cheers 🍷 🍻
That deserves a mighty WOOF!

Let us know how it all goes once it's done and in your system.
RJ
mstrshikadance
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by mstrshikadance »

Just got my quote from CJ.

$1920 for Cap upgrade, XS conversion is included in this price.

$340 for new EL34 Tubes.

+ Shipping.

If I were to forego the Cap upgrade, it would only be $480- for the conversion.

This is my favorite amp and I doubt I will ever sell it for any reason. Trying to talk myself into spending the money and getting the caps upgraded 🤣
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A favorite quote of mine here on CJO is "if you buy the best, you only cry once."

If this is really an end game amp I would seriously consider it. It would forever bug me to wonder what it would sound like if I had just spent the extra $500.
-admin
petertg
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by petertg »

I had the teflon on upgrade done on my pr11 and it is totally worth it. Better bass, more clarity and transparency and still maintains the original sound