MV60SE does not have Teflon or Vishay

From tubes to solid state.
SolderSlinger
Pro
Pro

MV60SE does not have Teflon or Vishay

Post by SolderSlinger »

Learned something interesting about the MV60SE yesterday. It the case of the MV60SE the SE designates only the use of 6550 output tubes. There are no Teflon capacitors.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/con ... g-may-2003

"These models are exactly the same, except for the change in output tubes," Lew emphasized.

"Why can't I simply switch output tubes?"

"The 6550C wants to see a higher idle current than the EL34, so the amplifier has to be set for a higher bias voltage. But everything else about the amplifiers is the same—same transformers, same parts. Nothing changes but the output tubes and the bias voltage setting."
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MV60SE does not have Teflon or Vishay

Post by admin »

I suppose the question would be is what was the price difference between the two models?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
SolderSlinger
Pro
Pro

Post by SolderSlinger »

That is the question. Just wanted to point out to the CJO members that the MV60SE should not have any additional value because components are the same. Unlike a current model where the SE designation is significantly more expensive due to the addition of Teflon capacitors and Vishay resistors.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I can see the SE edition being advantageous with less sensitive speakers. Sometimes a little extra can make a big difference when approaching the clipping threshold. But I wouldn't make a big deal between the two versions.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
SolderSlinger
Pro
Pro

Post by SolderSlinger »

Very good point.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes that's correct.
The MV60/ SE only difference were the Output tubes, nothing else!

The non SE version using EL34's was tops! The SE version can also accommodate 6550's and KT120's, which was what I used when I had the SE version. It handled both the Maggie MGIIIA's and Quad ESL's quite well, no issues.

The only special thing about the MV60 is that it was the very first time CJ incorporated Transpectral trannies, which were solely used on CJ's Premier line. So, the first time these trannies were used outside the Premier series, and it was the very last amplifier in the MV series to hold the flag.

After that, when CJ introduced the LP and Classic series, those units which were designated as SE, started having Teflons and Vishays put in, apart from different types of Output tubes, hence a much higher price difference.

If you really wanted, you could have Teflons and Vishays placed in the MV60SE but that would push the cost so far up... in which case, it's more advisable to get either the Classic 60se or 62se. These SE versions have both these very high quality parts.

Cheers, RJ