ART phono stage compared to TEA1 series 3

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
Bill Stevenson
Pro
Pro

ART phono stage compared to TEA1 series 3

Post by Bill Stevenson »

I have several hundred hours of time comparing the new ART phono stage with the TEA1 series 3 and figured there might be interest here in my impressions. First a disclaimer: I am not a professional reviewer. Related equipment: C-J ART88, C-J ART 27A, VPI HW-40 w/SoundSmith Experion, Technics SL-1200 GAE w/several cartridges both MM and MC, Consolidated Silver SUT, all wire is Audio Sensibility Statement (silver), Sony SS-AR2 speakers, REL 212SX subs.

I listen to acoustic jazz. The TEA1 has been with me since it was introduced several years ago and until now I have considered it very nearly unbeatable for it's clarity, impact, musicality and user friendlness, which I will define as a lack of listener fatigue even after hours upon hours of time. The new ART offers those same traits, so anyone who likes the TEA1 is going to warm right up to the ART. The ART has the ability on certain material, but not all, to add greater impact, more depth, more detail. On new audiophile grade records of the highest current production values the difference can be quite astonishing. On older or lesser recordings, the difference is diminished. The older recording get the less useful the ART becomes to the point of insignificance. The ART is true to what is there. The late Jhmad Jamal album Ballades offers a good example of what is possible. The piano is a Steinway D. With the ART the full impact of that magnificent instrument is not only felt, it is heard. There are dozens of other examples, but the point is made. This new ART phono pre-amp brings us one step closer to the live experience.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ART phono stage compared to TEA1 series 3

Post by admin »

Thanks for the comparison. Really interesting. The TEA1 is a world class phono preamp in itself, so f the ART phono takes it to the next level, that is something. Good point about recordings having to have good sonic qualities to make good hardware worth it. I think this is often not talked about. Enjoy the tunes on that beautiful ART phono! Congrats.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Nice one Bill, well done on the ART gear!

I remember your previous gear and the fact that you don't care for panel type speakers! Ha, that's how I remember, and you're still using the Sony AR2's. Excellent!

As you've gradually upgraded to CJ's finest fron the ET5 and now upto the ART series gear, you'll definitely find yourself discovering wonderful things from high quality recordings.
The ART27A partnered with the ART88, is way more than adequate to drive those Sony's effortlessly. That's a great combination,. You should have endless hours of finesse!

I haven't personally heard the ART phonostage as yet but I will do so coming Feb/March.

Now, just sit back pour that scotch and light that cigar!
Cheers 🍷 enjoy those finest tunes!
Woof! RJ
Bill Stevenson
Pro
Pro

Post by Bill Stevenson »

That is right RJ, you have a good memory. I don't care for dipoles. Haven't since the KLH9 came out, now I'm dating myself. I sold a lot of maggies back in the day. Had a good customer who slept with his Quads, I swear. Me I like direct radiators. These Sonys are quite lovely. They have responded well to upgrades too. I didn't think the GAT2 could be bettered, but then was godsmacked by the ART88. The ART27A was loaned to me because my ART150 developed a wonky channel, but when I got it back I couldn't part with the 27. So that change was unplanned. But through it all the Sonys revealed the truth. I also had a chance to listen to Jeff's very spiffy German speakers at the factory, which he thinks are the bees knees and I believe are pretty pricey. Anyway, to each his own. I will say this: on my Sonys, a well recorded Steinway sounds exactly like a real Steinway. I mean a D sounds like a D, a C sounds like a C. A US built instrument can be discerned from a German one etc.. Not many speakers can do that. And with this new ART phono stage, on a good record it sounds like the damn piano is right in the room and it feels like it too. More so than I have ever heard before. Of course the subs help more than somewhat I suppose. Although you'd never know they were on they way they are adjusted.
zermatt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by zermatt »

I just took a Art phono home for evaluation. I have a hot rodded Tea1 series 1. I really loved it. I purchased this in 2010. However, the Art phono when pared with the Art 88 is true magic and it still needs to be broken in. I will report back!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Glad to hear. All the recent reviews of the new ART line seem to be positive.

Let us know what you think after a little more listening time.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
zermatt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by zermatt »

I have purchased the unit. Its really really good. I write a mini review after I hit the 30 day mark!