Bill Thalmann

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Bill Thalmann

Post by whnay1 »

Today I received the sad news that a dear friend and Audio Pioneer, Bill Thalmann, has passed away after a long struggle with an illness.

I first met Bill in 1978 when I worked at Audio Associates. He was the top Technician there and was a wizard at repairing esoteric gear such as aligning Marantz 10B Tuners, Rebuilding Tandberg Reel to Reels and player. He later repaired exotic electrostatic speakers.
Bill then moved into an R&D and Technical role at Conrad Johnson. He could repair the great big monsters such as the Premier Ones to the Original Conrad Johnson preamps.

He then moved to open Music Technology in North Springfield. There he built an amazing business and was a McIntosh Authorized repair outlet. He modified equipment making the power supplies and internal circuits better. Everything he did he improved.
He could rebuild Apogee speakers and modified their ribbon tweeters to deliver exquisite highs.

I adored this man as he a true friend who was helpful, he had a marvelous sense of humor, and he was a man who served our country in the Air Force and he was a Dad too.

We all know that someday our time will come and we pray for Bill's family and friends as we mourn his loss.

RIP Bill Thalmann.
Paolo
Super Pro
Super Pro

Re: Bill Thalmann

Post by Paolo »

So sad to learn of Mr. Thalmann's passing. It was not that long ago when I had the privilege of chatting with him by phone a couple of times about vintage CJ gear. He struck me as being one fine gentleman. Even though he wasn't accepting any new work, he was extremely generous with his phone time, answering my questions and giving me some expert suggestions in a most cordial manner.

RIP indeed.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very sad to hear the news. RIP.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Sad news indeed. I dealt with Bill by phone in 1998 and then sent him my PV10AL preamp which he converted to a 10A by adding a phono stage. He also upgraded the RCA connectors to Cardas brand. It was a job well done and served me well for years to come. RIP.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
zermatt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by zermatt »

I will miss BIll, we had a lot of fun modifying audio gear for the last 25 years!
SolderSlinger
Pro
Pro

Post by SolderSlinger »

What a loss. He was a great audio historian too. He was involved in the development of Premier 12. If you look at the bottom side of the PCB, center left most area, you can see
C-JD
PC 610/1/2A
8/93
wgt

Bill's initials are wgt.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

That's a huge loss without a doubt. These kinds of personalities are legendary! They're one of a kind.

In today's world there are fewer people of this nature, not only the skill and knowledge of audio gear but also the passion to fix and care for such gear. These days, that passion is lacking, and with digital domain taking the lead, our precious tube gear is going to disappear.

That's why I always say, enjoy those fine tunes!
RIP another legend.
Stay safe y'all, RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

he was always helping everybody with his knowledge regarding Conrad Johnson goods. I will miss him too.

Very sad news!!!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
zermatt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by zermatt »

Thanks everyone for your comments. Please visit the MT website and leave a comment for Bill family. The site has some nice info on Bill life. Here is the link: https://musictechnology.com/