Martin Logan 11 a

Discuss listening room acoustics, treatments, building home theater rooms, and proper placement of your Speakers.
Carl
Regular
Regular

Martin Logan 11 a

Post by Carl »

Will my Premier 11 a do with a Martin Logan 11 a. The bass unit has a separate amplifier.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Martin Logan 11 a

Post by admin »

It should be fine. I used to run a ML Vantage for a number of years. As a large part of the ML is "self powered", it doesn't take a lot of wattage to run properly. It's more about the quality for the quantity of that power. And the Premier 11 certainly has the quality. Do you have the Premier 11 set up in ultralinear or triode mode?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Carl
Regular
Regular

Post by Carl »

Thank you very much admin. I have the premier 11 a in the normal mode.
Carl
Regular
Regular

Post by Carl »

PS do you know the damping factor of the Premier 11 a.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I don't, but not sure how much it matters in this case as the ML's have their own amplifier to control the woofer and the ESL membrane is so light that it really doesn't need dampening in the traditional sense (like you would with a large heavy magnet).
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Carl
Regular
Regular

Post by Carl »

More a question of General interest Admin. They say tube amp have a low damping Factor. Besides there are different Speakers then Martin Logan.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Just came across this post yesterday, wanted to reply last night but thought I'd get few hrs rest before the arvo run. So now, here's your reply!

I've had three versions of the Premier 11 amplifier:
1. Prem 11 in pentode mode with KT88 tubes
2. Prem 11A in pentode mode with 6550C tubes
3. Prem 11-xs in Triode mode using EL34's

At the time, this dates back to around 96 - 98, and preamps used were mainly the PFR, PV12 and ART series 1.
These speakers were very successfully driven by the Prem11A:
1. Quad ESL 63
2. Maggie's MG3.3/r, MG3.5/r, and MG3.6/r
3. Infinity Renaissance 90
4. Genesis 500's (powered bass units).
5. ProAc Tablet response 1
6. Sonus Faber Grand piano
7. Tannoy Westminster's

From the speakers listed 5, 6 & 7, these were relatively easy loads, especially the Tannoy's being horn loaded. This very system of the PFR, Prem11A and Tannoy Westminster's were sold to my former company chairman, and still has this very system to this day, absolutely loves it! Of course the gear has gone through several services and refurbs... but nonetheless it's a high quality sound.

Speaker number 4: these Genesis systems had built-in powered bass drivers, where SS amplifiers were provided as part of the speakers. With the supplied Servo x-over unit, all you had to do is get a high quality stereo amp or monoblocks of your choice dedicated to drive the mids and highs. However, it wasn't that easy to fine tune that bloody Servo control unit. It had far too many controls an absolute nightmare! Anyway, on certain recordings when you hopefully dial everything almost right, the overall performance wasn't too shabby.

Speakers listed from 1 - 3, were driven full range, no assistance from subs, powered drivers or added bass units. The Quads and Infinity's were no hassle, beautiful sound but with Maggie's, on certain loud passage, those LEDs went haywire. I was in close contact with Lew J and mentioned this on the Maggie's, said it's quite normal but to go with soft to moderate levels. Of course after 98, we ordered in the Prem12's and Prem8A's, those Genesis and Maggie's performance were enhanced to another level!

Fast fwd that 20yrs to around 2018, I had the MV60/se, Classic 60se and CAV45 driving Quads and Maggie's once again and ML hybrids (Ethos, Montis and Summit-X).
These amplifiers replaced the Premier 11A and some of them weren't as powerful as the Prem11A but none of them had any problems driving ribbons or stat panels full range.

So to answer your question, the Prem 11A will easily drive the ML ESL 11A's. In fact, thanks to it's redesigned powered bass drivers, the Prem11A will be cruising on the stat panels.

I will point out one thing though, and that is with the Prem11A you can't go at very high levels, the Output stage will clip and you'll hear tube break-up. The control factor on LF detail to mids and extended highs will sound painful and shreakey... it won't be pleasant.

Then again, the Prem11A is not meant for very high levels of playback, and so is the case with all those others that superseded it: MV60, Classic 60, LP66S, LP70S, and Classic 62se. None of these amplifiers are designed for high performance levels, in which case you'll be abusing the amp. These amplifiers were designed solely for the enjoyment of recorded music at a level of fine musicality with finesse!

So if you're thinking of blasting your roof off then the Prem11A is definitely not going to make the cut. Although the ML 11A's are very capable of blasting the roof off, they can play very loud at extreme high levels.

If you're main priority is relaxing to music, being fully immersed in the presentation and most importantly that soundstage presence and depth then the Prem11A is all that! (Including all those amplifiers I've listed above that replaced the Premier 11 series).

At the end of the day, it all depends on your listening habits and preferences in volume levels. Only you can determine that.

Cheers, and hope all goes well.
RJ
Wildcat
Master
Master

Post by Wildcat »

Late, late reply here! I use a P11 with an earlier Martin-Logan system with a powered bass unit, and there are no issues whatsoever. Can it play deafeningly loud? No. But I only listen at moderate volume at the most, and the powered bass unit does the heavy lifting with the low frequencies. So it's the best of both worlds. I've never felt I lacked power.
C-J PV-14L/C-J Premier 11/Martin Logan Spires/PS Audio DirectStream Jr./PS Audio AirLens
Technics SL-1210G/Nagaoka MP500/Dynavector XX2 Mk. II/SweetVinyl SugarCube/C-J EV-1