Please Help Me To Choose Premier 12 or Premier 140

From tubes to solid state.
AudioDIY
Advanced
Advanced

Please Help Me To Choose Premier 12 or Premier 140

Post by AudioDIY »

Please help me to chose between Premier 12 (140 Watt Mono Amp, made and end in early 90s) and Premier 140 (140 Watt Stereo Amp, Made and end in 00s). The 140 came with the inter-lave winding transformer but not sure about the 12. I think this will be my key tie breaker if the 12 did not come with the inter-lave winding transformer, then it will be a no brainer decision for me to go with 140 since it can play a wider bandwidth and cost $600-800 less. Please help. Thanks.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: Please Help Me To Choose Premier 12 or Premier 140

Post by Joe Appierto »

Looks like the Premier 12 has them, too. This is from c-j's description of the MV125:

The MV125 vacuum tube power amplifier superseded the MV100. It was designed for audiophiles who had larger than average power requirements or less efficient speaker systems. The MV125 delivered 125 watts per channel using two pair of 6550 output tubes per channel. This amp debuted conrad-johnson's transpectral output transformer design - a specifications for intricately interleaved windings that theoretically is capable of unlimited bandwidth, and in fact increased small signal bandwidth by several-fold. This design was later implemented in the Premier Eight, Eleven, and Twelve power amplifiers. Also in common with these later models, the MV125 used polypropylene capacitors for the main power supply reservoir.

Hope this helps although I realize that I just made your decision harder. But better to know now rather than later.

Regards,
Joe

PS: I've never owned or even heard the Premier 12, however, I did own the Premier 140 for quite some time both in the stock version and then later I had it upgraded with the CJD Teflon capacitors. An excellent frickin' amp. Just my 2¢ naturally.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
AudioDIY
Advanced
Advanced

Post by AudioDIY »

The search game is over. I bought a re-furnished Audio Research VS115 from ARC for $3300 shipped which is cheaper than both CJs which I am looking. It sounds great and it is brand new which came with ARC 3 years warranty. Now my system consisted of 1 CJ head amp, 1 ARC phone amp, 1 CJ line stage pre-amp and 1 ARC power amp. All tube gears and I am happy with my choice. Thanks for listening.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Congratulations on the ARC amp. Can you post a photo?
AudioDIY
Advanced
Advanced

Post by AudioDIY »

Don't know how to upload the pictures here. Please show me. Thanks.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AudioDIY wrote:Don't know how to upload the pictures here. Please show me. Thanks.

You should be able to click on the "Upload attachment" tab after hitting the "Post Reply" button (not "quick reply"). There are some limits such as max file size of 4 mb (this is to make the site fairly reasonable for mobile users or those on slow connections).

Here is a link with posting limits: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AudioDIY
Advanced
Advanced

Post by AudioDIY »

MyAudioGears.jpg
MyAudioGears.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 997 times
MyARCVS115.jpg
MyARCVS115.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 997 times
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wow. Very nice. Love the look of those huge tubes! Very nice equipment rack as well.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.