TAD 6550A-STR or Sovtek 6550WE

From tubes to solid state.
CJ2000
Beginner
Beginner

TAD 6550A-STR or Sovtek 6550WE

Post by CJ2000 »

Anyone compared the TAD 6550A-STR to the Sovtek 6550WE? Is it true that the TAD 6550A-STR has similar sound characteristics to GE 6550 and the Sovtek 6550WE similar to the SED Wing "C"?

I have a Premier 12 that I had been using the Wing “C” 6550 with, but one went bad. All of the tubes of are a manufactured date of 2007 or 2011 so I originally replaced them with the Tung-Sol 6550 reissues. The Tung-Sol 6550 reissue is too dark, not dynamic like the Wing "C" and definitely rolled off on the top end.

Which of the two 6550 tubes that I have mention would be recommended for my Premier 12?
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: TAD 6550A-STR or Sovtek 6550WE

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Not too sure about the TAD 6550 brand... I may be missing something here. What does TAD stand for?

Anyway, with regards to SED 6550C and wing C, coming from Svetlana Electron Devices, these are fantastic on the Prem12's. I've used them and found the mid-range to be lush and full of pristine sonic character. The Sovtek had slightly tighter and deeper bass, or shall I term it as faster bass.

If you want to go up a level in overall performance, with a more open mid-range, smooth top end, and superior bass extension with superb control, try the KT120's from Tungsol. The soundstage depth opens up further and you will experience an effortless level of power and authority from the Prem12's. Overall it will be a more fuller and refined sound with superb resolution and detail. If you don't like the sound of the KT120's then the SED 6550C tubes would be your best choice.

These were the original tubes placed in the Prem12's when I ordered a pair back in 98, after that we ordered in the Prem8A's and used the 6550C's for many years. It was only after these were sold to new customers that they used different tubes. The KT90 & KT120 having great success.

In my experience, I preferred the KT90 & KT120 tubes for what they presented in terms of amplification at its finest compared to the 6550's. However, that's my preference, hence yours may differ... You would need to try them out first in order to determine which type you prefer according to your musical tastes.

Cheers mate and have a good one,
RJ