PV10AL upgrade

The PV-1 to now...
hawkeyepierce
Beginner
Beginner

PV10AL upgrade

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I have a Premier 11A that I upgraded 5 years ago with Teflon caps. Unbelievable improvement in transients!! I noticed on the C-J website that they can upgrade my PV10AL preamp to a circuit with a single 6922 extended triode, instead of the original 12 AU7s. In addition, they can replace the caps with Teflon. Has anyone had this done on a pre-amp, and was it worthwhile? I've emailed C-J to inquire about the price. Thanks for your time.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: PV10AL upgrade

Post by roberto »

Hola Hawkeyepierce,

Definitively, it is a great upgraded. Your PV10AL is going to sing almost as my beloved ET-7. You have the proof with your power amp. You can't go wrong with it! The stage opens up, incredible sense of 3D, and the transparency are the most attributes with outstanding harmonic texture. Also the dynamics and the signal to noise ratio is granted. It is expensive, but really worth every penny!!!

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
hawkeyepierce
Beginner
Beginner

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Gracias, Roberto. Still waiting for a price from CJ. Best, Hawk
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

hola Hawk,

Did you get the quotation for the PV-12 updated? I have a friend who is asking me if I do know. I can write an email to CJ to find out, but I can wait your quotation. Same preamp, a PV-12. I do not know if he is going to do it...but it looks that he has the willing for it.

Kind regards from Costa Rica,
Roberto.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
paulCJ
Advanced
Advanced

Post by paulCJ »

New to the forums and this is my first post. I have the PV10al pre and MV55 power amp. Just had the MV55 upgraded and LOVE what I am hearing. After reading above and with the experience of having the MV55 upgraded, I am heavily tempted to have the PV10al upgraded, but don't want to be without the preamp......Hawkeye did you ever get the upgrade?
antaresbluespirit
Pro
Pro

Post by antaresbluespirit »

Hi everybody!

I am waiting for price info from CJ as well...

Since there is no circuit change,i hope to get the parts to be delivered overseas!

Regards

Raymond
antaresbluespirit
Pro
Pro

Hello,

Here below the reply from the CJ service department that confirm the only up grade availalble for the PV10 A/AL is the CJ TEFLON capacitors up grade not the tube 12AU7 replacement by 6922

Regards

Raymond

de "Catherine" <service@conradjohnson.com>

à "'Raymond LERAT'" <raylerat@orange.fr>
cc "'Christian Peerboom'" <conrad-johnson-france@wanadoo.fr>
date 22/08/19 22:13
objet RE: PV10a upgrade
voir l'en-tête complet

Hello,

the information you have read on the CJ forum is incorrect. The only upgrade available for the PV10 is the CJD Teflon capacitor upgrade. Please contact our distributor in France for price and availability.

FRANCE (240v EURO BE)

conrad-johnson France

5, Rue de Martainville

27120 Le Cormier, France

Christian Peerboom

Ph: +33-23-266-0185

fax:+33-2-32-26-01-85

conrad-johnson-france@wanadoo.fr

Thank you

Sent: Friday, August 16, 2019 10:31 AM
To: service@conradjohnson.com
Subject: PV10a upgrade

Dear Sir,

I own a PV10A serial number 2322156

After reading a post within the Forum CJ Owner.com upon CJ preamp upgrade, I understand that the kit involves the replacement of the 12AU7 line stage by a single triode 6922 as well as existing capacities by CJ teflon caps...

There is no change in the electrical circuit.

Please, could you advise upon the price of these parts as well as 6922 (i do not know if it proves necessary to change the phono stage tubes as well ...

I look forward to hearing from you soon

Kind regards

Raymond LERAT
41 rue Monin
41000 Blois

France

Phone: 33. 6 07 85 30 71
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Raymond,

I will go for the updated capacitors. The 12AU7 is a fantastic sounding tube too. Do not worry about it. There are a lot of reviews of the 12AU7/ECC82. Being you at France, you might get an ECC82 that suites your taste. I did use my PV10L with a Philips ECC82. I do love the harmonic texture of the musical instruments and also the warmth sound coming from it. Perhaps you might like it too.

Happy listening!
antaresbluespirit
Pro
Pro

Hi Roberto!

I have been using ECC82 /12AU7 from telefunken for years for line stage...

In fact CJ service department reply confirms that there is no other upgrade apart from Teflon capacitors being proposed by the company within the PV10

As usual many informations forwarded on line have to by checked by the official source to make sure they are correct...

Regards

Raymond
Deano454
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Deano454 »

I like the idea of the Teflon caps but which caps are / should be replaced . This is something I could do myself replacing values like for like.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola,
Do you have the schematic for your PV10? The caps are the ones that are used into the signal path...I do believe that you do not need to touch the power supply caps. Same value. Also, the resistors that are involved into the signal path, try to change them for metal foil Vishal resistors. These resistors are expensive too, but the noise floor will be affected for good too.

If you get the kit from CJ, you will get an explanation of how to proceed to do the job. Also, you will have their support and warranty. The caps are specially made for CJ with CJ requirements and specifications. This is good, you can't go wrong here! Remember: Quality has no regret!

Happy listening!
Deano454
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Deano454 »

Hi I'm a new owner of a PV10AL and got some Gold Lions on their way to me . I read somewhere that there is an upgrade involving Teflon caps and replacing Orange caps. I had always thought the orange caps were pretty good. Does anyone know which caps should be replaced ?
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Deano454,

The teflon caps are quite expensive...the kit usually costs around $ 1050.00. These caps make to sing any preamp almost close as the top models. As an example, starting from the ET-7 and up, you get this kind of caps. On lower models stands for SE (SpeciaL Edition), you get the caps and vishay metal foil resistors.

The quality sound and the signal to noise ration improves dramatically. Sometimes better than -10dB, dropping the noise floor for better micro-dynamics and superb resolution. On the other hand, with much respect, this will make you to do a hearing with models that have this kind of caps, and a meticulous try-out audition must be done. Your speakers should be capable to resolve all these new beauty things into your favourite music. The distortion and crystal clear sound will arise after about 200 hours of playing the music, but just the first hours, you get an impression of what to expect for good.

Yes, to bring them to their full potential needs time. This is called break-in. Some C-J users don't believe that the improvement is that much, and they kept their preamp and amp without these caps. Others, like me, we believe that this is a great improvement. Everything is a matter of taste and liking.

Gold Lions are good tubes. If you are happy with your sound, keep it as it is...because there are factors that the kit will no be a benefit, unless you do big changes to your system. The PV-10AL is a very good sounding preamp.

Happy listening!