Excessive voltage on inputs?

The PV-1 to now...
agdrago
Beginner
Beginner

Excessive voltage on inputs?

Post by agdrago »

The brand is not important, but I have a new-to-me DAC/preamp that I plugged into my C-J Premier 14 tonight. The DAC has a ridiculously easy to push button on its back panel for variable or fixed output. As I was pushing the DAC back into its place on the shelf evidently one of the cables must have pushed the button again setting it to variable. There were no pops, or loud sounds...just no sound. The DAC appears to be working, but now no inputs come through my Premier 14.

Let's assume the voltage was not line level, but rather much higher due to the variable output. What likely happened? Should I just pack up my C-J \and send it off to be repaired?

Thoughts?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Excessive voltage on inputs?

Post by admin »

First, welcome to CJO. Great to have you with us.

I would do some investigation before packing up the Premier 14 for an expensive evaluation/repair. Have you tried other sources? Did you open up the unit to look for any signs of damage (ie burn marks). Not sure if the Premier 14 has fuses, but if it does, I would definitely check that first.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
agdrago
Beginner
Beginner

Post by agdrago »

The Premier 14 powers up, switches inputs, changes volume, mutes, and otherwise behaves normally, but there is no output. The background noise level is very low.

Unfortunately all this happened just before I left for a weekend trip. It is a coincidence that tomorrow I will be 15 minutes away from C-J's HQ. Maybe I will stop by and ask them. I will do more verification later this weekend. I was hoping someone would know the expected behavior given the scenario I described. I am hoping for the "it's a fuse" answer.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola agdrago,

First of all, let's make sure that you do not have the DAC-preamp connected wrong...this happens very often.
1) turn your amp off
2) check that you have connected from the output of the preamp to the amp. An input to input, there will be no signal at all to the amp.

A pic of the back of your DAC-preamp will help a lot, so me can guide you to make the right connection.

I don't think that you amp has a problem. Usually when a problem is at the amp, one channel is the failure, not both channels at the same time. When you have both channels not working, the amp usually there will be no sign of power.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
antaresbluespirit
Pro
Pro

Post by antaresbluespirit »

Hello,

Let's tell you the latest story which happened with my cambridge DAC

I have plugged it between my PC and the DAC to get the High definition audio signal from you tube to be linked with the PV8 aux input...

What ever I did no signal and after investigations following the cable checking i decide to swich of the DAC and switch on it again..

Suddently everythings worked again!

As a conclusion, keep in mind that a DAC is just a data system similar to a PC that "bug" at any time!

Try to shut off your DAC again....

Raymond
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Raymond,
Good tip too!

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
agdrago
Beginner
Beginner

Post by agdrago »

I am still on my trip, but I am eager to get home to finish trouble shooting this. These are all good observations. I will post more results when I get my hands on the devices again on Sunday.
agdrago
Beginner
Beginner

Post by agdrago »

I am still on my trip, but I am eager to get home to finish trouble shooting this. These are all good observations. I will post more results when I get my hands on the devices again on Sunday.
Timo62
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Timo62 »

Hello agdrago,

A lot good suggestions here.

You could also check your Premier 14 display panel on the front of the preamp. Look on the right of the display panel to make sure you have it set to Source and not EPL 1/EPL 2 because this will mute the sound.

I think someone already mentioned trying a known working source to test the preamp. Do you have another known working source to test?

Sometimes unplugging your gear completely for a period of time to completely discharge it can help restore function. I have seen equipment take a jolt , or a surge and stops functioning , or just gets locked up. Sometimes unplugging the equipment for awhile to let it totally discharge can restore function.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Timo62,
Great advise...I had that problem once with my et-7. I thought that the unit was at mute mode, but was not...accidentally, y pressed the EPL switch and the unit was at that mode.

Happy listening!