Do It Yourself - everything from building your own hardware to room
treatments.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

double speaker cable...

Post by roberto »

Hola Chicos,

This is a endless path...I just connected from my power amp to the speakers a double cable...you might think that I am crazy (this is true) but I have new improved my quality sound. I can not biwired my CLXs, and also the amplifier has only two binding posts for each channel for the speaker cables. Well, I used spade connectors at the CLXs and did use spade and bananas at the power amp. I can report much better definition overall, with much better resolution with dynamics and micro dynamics. The music is played effortless, I got from my preamp, a lower volume level reading for the same SPL...in other words, I am using less power for the same SPL. The stage open up a little bit with more air between the musical instruments. There was before an kind of struggle on certain recordings with heavy dynamics content, and now they go through with outstanding precision. No struggle now.

This makes me think that somehow, my signal was stressed somewhere from the power amp to the CLXs. I did several tests and always had with the double cable, the better performance of my whole system. I told to a friend to disconnect from the amp one cable or not, without letting me to know how the system was connected. Well, I told all the times from using different program material, from a solo piano, solo guitar or not more than three musical instruments, to a big orchestra, and symphonic orchestra. From strings to metal and percussion, and voices.

Not a small difference, it is a BIG difference. Please see the pic. Yes, I do know that I have to address better the cables, but this now my first impressions of this, if I should call it, tweak. Try it out! Tell us your findings.

Happy listening!
IMG-3136.JPG
IMG-3136.JPG (1.94 MiB) Viewed 1891 times
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: double speaker cable...

Post by admin »

Very cool. I use a biwire speaker cable in my setup. I think it's a nice little addition that will improve the sound in some systems. They do sell cables that are single terminations on one end and two on the other which makes using a biwire easier with speakers with two terminals. However, I like your "jury-rigged" setup better!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Admin,

I had previously the bi-wire config. I always had in my mind to do this test. If I have a pool full of water and I have to take all this water to another pool the fastest way. How should I do it? With a small hose or a big hose? I have all this energy in the amp, and I have to send it to the speakers, with a small gauge cable or a big gauge cable? The answer is obvious, right?

But quality cable is a must too. To my ears, the CLXs loves silver coated cable. Because the electrons travels at the outside, the periphery, the outskirts of the cable, I do use copper heavy plated cable. Nordost is the brand that I do like most.

Please, tell us your findings.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think each system is going to respond differently to each cable. When I first got the biwire cable I did some A/B comparisons and found the biwire configuration ever so slightly increased the dynamics and high-end frequencies clarity. You can do biwire / single wire comparisons relatively easy as you can just disconnect the 2nd wire at the terminals. The change in sound was certainly not what I would consider "dramatic". Still a nice little "bonus" to the overall sound.

I've never had silver cables in my system as of this date. I've heard them in other people's systems for short listening periods and a lot of people say they have the ability to "brighten up the sound." This would make them a useful tool if that is what you are trying to achieve in your system's sound profile.

Nordost is great.... but certainly on the expensive side. They make great products and would also recommend them to anybody. I've had a really positive experience with my Signal Cable speaker cables. They have a small but reliable collection of products. They don't try to come up with some new fancy wire every 6 months.... just sticking with what works. I think they offer great "bang for your buck" for those who are not yet ready to commit to big budget cables.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Admin,

I agree with you. Nordost is expensive. But I found a flat line cables at Ebay that are well done and the pricing is very low. Their quality at the pics can tell how well are terminated. I think they are a bargain.

Silver sometimes it is too bright. I depends of your tweeter or the kind of high frequency speaker that you can have. On ribbon will be too bright. On logans, are quite good to my ears. It's like adding a little bit more salt to your final seasoning. Sometimes a little bit of salt opens up the flavor, but too much is ugly!

Happy listening!