What speakers are you using with your Conrad Johnson gear?

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

What speakers are you using with your Conrad Johnson gear?

Post by joeinid »

I'd like to get an idea what speakers everyone is using?

Thank you.
sleepysurf
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: What speakers are you using with your Conrad Johnson gear?

Post by sleepysurf »

Martin Logan Expression 13A's.
Squeezebox Touch/Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB + Oppo BDP-95 > Conrad-Johnson CT5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > ML Expressions 13A. Dual ML BalancedForce 210 subs. Audience Au24e I/C's, speaker cable. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Magnepan 20.1's. Previously Martin Logan Vantages.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

I have Revel Studio2 and JBL 4367 speakers.
XCop5089
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by XCop5089 »

GAT Series 2, Premier 350SA and TAD CR1 MKII's - I'm happy!
CJ GAT2/Premier 350SA, dCS Vivaldi full stack, TAD CR1 MKII, Melco NIZH/60/2, TW Raven One/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L, Whest PS.30 RDT 'SE' phono stage, MIT Oracle MAX/MA cabling, DAAD room tuning, Stillponts racks, balanced PSU.
Timo62
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Timo62 »

I am using Harbeth M40.2 speakers with my Conrad Johnson gear.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Martin Logan Ethos, for now...

Once all is built on the larger space and we relocate, then it will be the Martin Logan CLX's.

Have to attend to a few priorities first... Family, kids, education, cats that type of stuff.
Cheers Maties, RJ
Bill Stevenson
Pro
Pro

Post by Bill Stevenson »

Sony SSAR2 speakers with ARTsa, ET5 and TEA2MAX. I seriously considered Wilson, B&W and Martin Logan too.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Bill Stevenson wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:34 pm Sony SSAR2 speakers with ARTsa, ET5 and TEA2MAX. I seriously considered Wilson, B&W and Martin Logan too.
Very nice! I heard those Sony speakers and really liked them.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Timo62 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:43 am I am using Harbeth M40.2 speakers with my Conrad Johnson gear.
Hi Tim,

How do you like this combo? I had 40.1 and sold them to upgrade to the 40.2 but have not made a move yet. Thoughts?

Joe
Timo62
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Timo62 »

Joe,

I love the Harbeth M40.2 speakers with my Conrad Johnson gear. I would highly recommend the 40.2 ,especially since you are already familiar with the 40.1 version.
The 40.2 version is more efficient, more room friendlier in regard to bass control, a little more transparent , but still has that Harbeth warmth and easier to drive compared to the M40.1. It is a fantastic full range speaker. After a quite a few years of trying different speakers , I can finally say that I am fully satisfied with my speakers . I am off the speaker merry go round as they say.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Timo62 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:14 pm Joe,

I love the Harbeth M40.2 speakers with my Conrad Johnson gear. I would highly recommend the 40.2 ,especially since you are already familiar with the 40.1 version.
The 40.2 version is more efficient, more room friendlier in regard to bass control, a little more transparent , but still has that Harbeth warmth and easier to drive compared to the M40.1. It is a fantastic full range speaker. After a quite a few years of trying different speakers , I can finally say that I am fully satisfied with my speakers . I am off the speaker merry go round as they say.
Tim,

Thank you so much. I am so happy you love them. It's fortunate that I still have my speaker stands from my 40.1 :lol:
Timo62
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Timo62 »

Joe ,

Your Welcome! I agree , those M40.1 stands might come in handy for you in the future!
jahatl513
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jahatl513 »

I am using Wilson Audio Sophia II"s and loving it with my GAT2 and either my Premier 12's or ART 150. There is simply nothing that has compared to these for me with either Tubes or SS using my Premier 350. You can pick up a nice condition used pair for under 7K.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

I've only heard Wilson speakers a few years ago at the NY Audio show. In both rooms they were paired with D'Agostino electronics. Different speakers in the two rooms and the same pre-amps/amps but I found them to be a poor match. The Wilson speakers literally hurt my ears. At shows they tend to play the systems way too loud in rooms that are much too small. My favorites were Zellaton speakers with CHS electronics.

Just my 2¢.

--JA
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
jahatl513
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jahatl513 »

Joe, now worries, your 2cents and all. Wilson's are an excellent match with the right one and depending on who you are, the room, etc. You seem to spend more time telling us how much you don't like the Wilson's and less time telling us what you like. :) What are you using now on your CJ equipment was the question. I use Wilson's and the Sophia's are perfect for my GAT2 and the tube amps I have from CJ.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola. Martin Logan CLXs Art. Conrad Johnson gear sounds great with them. Easy to set them up, Just trust your ears and be courageous to move them to the right position in your room.
Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, that's another confirmation, Martin Logan CLX Art!
Arriving on Sun, proper review and write up to follow the week after.

Just for the record (Wilson's & CJ) another great combination! They are expensive and a top line Wilson will have an easy 6 figures on the price tag. The bracing and cabinetry is top notch, and this trickles down in every Wilson speaker, hence the price. You basically pay for that top level in workmanship.

Another speaker that does this so well are the Magico's. I think when it comes to Dynamic driver types, to me it is Wilson or Magico, they're in a league of their own.

The downside is that at too many shows, they don't set these up properly at all, hence the mediocre sound...
The brief stint I had with the Alex and X2's, were a real experience. It's too bad I had to let them go for financial reasons plus room limitations. The subsequent people who acquired these systems are much delighted and both of them are using Dan D'Agostino momentum monoblocks. Each time I visit their place it's a real treat to experience something of such high quality but way out of my financial level.
Cheers to all Wilson owners!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

About 10 years ago I had the chance to audition some top-tier Wilson's (I believe it was their Alexandria speakers, probably an earlier version of the current line) in a proper room all to myself. They really were exceptional. Sound and looks were top notch. Of course, the price was astronomical.
I remember them being so huge and they must have weights hundreds of pounds. It was nice to just sit and listen to a system that I know that I could never afford.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey Admin,

Although I certainly agree with you regarding your experience with Wilson's and what wonderful speakers they are... Comparing that to your Maggie's, especially the MG20 series, there's no comparison!

The ribbon transducer is much quicker, is far more agile and articulate and a great deal linear. The ribbon bass to me is superior and has perfect weight. I always remember my previous Apogee Diva system, driven with CJ premier 8 monoblocks. Although that was few decades ago... I can still very vividly remember that sound!

Even if I could afford it, I sincerely wouldn't go for Wilson's, not because I don't like them. I think they are the best dynamic driver speakers money can buy, it's just that I'm a panel fanatic and knowing that you prefer panels as well, I would be mighty happy with my MG 20's!

Although you're using the Evo2000, just imagine how superior your Maggie's would sound with a pair of ART300's or even an ART150! Then you'll be probably wondering how on earth could it possibly get any better than this...

Cheers mate, and cheers to panels!
RJ