NEW Conrad Johnson ART27A Triode Tube Amp

From tubes to solid state.
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

NEW Conrad Johnson ART27A Triode Tube Amp

Post by whnay1 »

This is an exciting new product from Conrad Johnson adding a dimension to its awesome Tube Power Amplifier Legacy. The new ART 27 will catch lots of attention…….

The ART 27 boasts a new direction for its design and implementation. First it uses KT88’s running in Triode Mode. It also runs in Pure Class-A Operation. At 36 (4 ohms) watts per channel this is a surprising dynamic tube power amp.

Conrad Johnson has utilized a separate Regulated Power Supply for the output stage and this makes BIASing the tubes easier but also insures extraordinary linearity!

A new custom Vishay Resistor is a non-inductive resistor. Traditional resistors can have a certain amount of Inductance which, in the signal path, can attenuate high frequencies and cause bad phase shift. These babies are expensive and no expense is spared in deploying them throughout. Also, this amp uses the CJD Teflon caps generously throughout.

A new gen Cardas internal wiring is used along with a solid-copper 5-way binding post for the speaker terminals.

One final and very important note is the new, Proprietary Swiss Made Output Transformers. These are very expensive, but they are super linear, have tremendous extension, and are fast. These are the best sounding output transformers in the WORLD!

I heard these for about 10 minutes. They are sweet without adding euphonic colorations and yet their resolution capabilities are second to none! They have a superior center fill and focus and create the most vivid soundstage to date.

Their disadvantage is their power dissipation. If you like to jam at very loud levels buy the ART150 or 300’s. They are simply excellent as well.

This is a cool amp. First CJ Triode Amp! Enjoy!
Attachments
ART27A.JPG
ART27A.JPG (84.41 KiB) Viewed 5515 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: NEW Conrad Johnson ART27A Triode Tube Amp

Post by admin »

Very exciting news indeed. Looks amazing. No mention of it on their official website. I wonder when we are going to see these in showrooms?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by whnay1 »

soon. There several of them built. A radical departure from Pentode designs...
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Very exciting news!

Can’t wait to find out more about it.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Mmm.... Definitely different. Not only is it a triode class A amplifier, which messers C & J never wanted to venture into (for their own reasons), but even their logo has changed!

Looks like Jeff is doing things his way...

How expensive are we talking about here Joe?
For 36w of pure Class A, based on ART reference standards, I'm sure Jeff didn't leave anything out to reproduce SOTA.

Using KT88's also seems like a move towards the classic tube sound. There were many great amps that used these back in the hey day, and still stick to these even today. Names such as Quad and McIntosh come to mind. So this should be a very interesting turn for CJ.

I can see this particular amp partnered with a high efficiency system, such as Horns, two way monitors and other speakers with benign loads. Should be a very engaging sound and highly musical.

Hey Joe, what speakers were they using during the demo? Were they monitors or horns or some other type?

Glad you had a chance to experience this, would have been a huge learning curve no doubt.

Cheers, RJ
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by whnay1 »

RJ,

It is $22000.00 each! Horns and high efficiency speakers will be a great match.

There are so many neat horn speakers on the market now.

I forget the speakers but these are the ones Jeff has in the CJ soundroom. He was playing jazz and some classical.

These new output transformers make a difference and so does the independent regulated supply.

what would be cool would be a 100w version....

Bill
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by whnay1 »

I still love the ART150 as it has the muscle to drive my speakers but the ART27A is magic!
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Wait? Mono or Stereo amp?

I'm assuming it's a stereo amp.
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by whnay1 »

Steeeo amp
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Great! Should be awesome on my Avantgarde Duo XD.
whnay1
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by whnay1 »

Have not heard that combo but it should work well with efficient speakers or those who dontblast themseleves out of the room
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey Joe,

So you finally settled for the AG Duo XD, very nice one indeed!

In fact this was my third preference on my short list of speakers, when I was finalising last Sept. The Duo XD came very close to the Maggies, but the price was nearly 4 times! Compared to the MG20.7's

It was really difficult to finally choose from ML Ren15A, MG20.7 & Duo XD but at the end, the CLX's just stopped me in my tracks.

I could have easily been very pleased with the AG horns but you can't have it all, can we.
With the new ART27A driving your AG Duo's that should be one SOTA sound/system.

22 smackers down unda will cost around 40 grand all up. The ART300's go for nearly 50 grand the pair, so that would be about right. Anyway, way beyond my price point but would certainly be nice to experience this new amp from CJ.

Tell us more about it when you get a chance, and finally perhaps get one...

Thanks for the message Bill on the pricing. I was thinking it would be around 20 grand US. Especially being an ART standard reference product. CJ is definitely heading for the stars, unfortunately not a lot of very enthusiastic and passionate audiophiles are going to be able to afford it.
No chance in Aus.

Cheers, have a good one, RJ
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Hi RJ,

I absolutely love my Duo XD and couldn’t be happier. I was able to trade some gear plus cash for my GAT2. What a wonderful preamp. I am very curious now about the 27A on my speakers.

I’m switching between a few amps. A Luxman MQ300, Valvet E2, First Watt SIT3 (which I absolutely love), Bulgarian Wooden amp and preamp and a few other pieces. I really thought I was done! Hahahaha!

Congratulations on your CLX, what an awesome speaker. I’m so happy for you.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

9156739B-8DB7-4651-86C0-C77BD4B707DD.jpeg
9156739B-8DB7-4651-86C0-C77BD4B707DD.jpeg (61 KiB) Viewed 5448 times
bear
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by bear »

Hi Joe. Congratulations on returning to CJ products with your GAT S2.

As someone who has owned horn speakers from both Avantgarde and Klipsch, I just want to let you know that in my experience you may get better sound from high power amps rather than from low powered SET such as this new CJ27A. Don't rule out the ART 150.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

bear,

Thank you so much for your advice. I’m very interested in the ART 27A. To me, that makes more sense.

I absolutely do love the sweet, slightly syrupy SET sound on my Avantgarde Duo.

I know a little more power is a benefit on them but I don’t play loud and find even a few watts enough.

I think the 27A will be killer and more my taste.
bear
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by bear »

Totally understand what you are saying, Joe.

One other point to consider. All of us are "crazy" audiophiles and we're always changing our systems. There is a good chance you won't have the Duos a year or two from now. I know you are happy now but I can't even tell you how many tines I, too, was "happy" and then switched systems. A higher power CJ amp would then drive your new lower efficient speaker. The 27A may not.
bear
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by bear »

Not liking the new CJ logo. IMHO it looks terrible. Hopefully this is not what the production amp will look like.
Quality1
Regular
Regular

Post by Quality1 »

Aren’t the transformers from Sweden Lundahl i’m thinking!