Comparison of ET7 Series 1 & 2 and Act 2 Series 2

The PV-1 to now...
agathe79
Beginner
Beginner

Comparison of ET7 Series 1 & 2 and Act 2 Series 2

Post by agathe79 »

Hi

Has anyone compared the above and what are the differences?
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Comparison of ET7 Series 1 & 2 and Act 2 Series 2

Post by roberto »

Hola agathe79 and welcome,

I am a user of the ET-7 V1. I am very happy with this unit. I did try the V2, but honestly speaking, I could not hear a big difference. Both units exhibit a wide stage with staggering focus on the soloist. The harmonic texture of the instruments and voices have their own flavor, with an exquisite definition. Perhaps when I did the comparison, was unfair for the V2..because the V1 had fully teflon caps burned, and the V2 was just beginning to burn. Regarding the ACT2, this was the top of the line of CJ some time, over 17 years ago.

The circuit design on the ET-7 resembles more the new shortest signal path design, now on the top of the line, the GAT model. The clue is to use the best electronic components that the Electronic Industry can offer. So, the teflon caps and the vishay metal foil resistors have to do a lot with the quality sound on these units. Having the shortest signal path, this in almost untouched. The frequency response extension is from the deepest bass notes to the crystal cymbals, with a resolution only found at the best of the best electronics. I would say that the ET-7 V2 is more organic, more analogue sound...it is very difficult for me to express myself...so I beg for your understanding. RJ, one of our members, he really knows how to say it. He is very knowledge man with Conrad Johnson gear, and many other brands too.

At my ET7, the bass notes are projected at the virtual stage that I get with my CLXs. This bass notes are defined with a precision that I can understand the fingering of the bass player easily. Bass drum is played with dynamic power, still being there, at the stage. The piano musical notes have a coherence that you virtually see the left hand the right hand playing the musical notes. Easy to tell. At the winds, the clarinet has the magic of the wood, and the flute has the metal. The sax is one of the most difficult musical instrument to be reproduced, because it has a lot of intensity variables and tones. It is played with tons of air, and the sense of having the player there...in your own place. Regarding the strings. Here, this ET-7 shines and brings to my room, the magical sound of the violin. Listening to the Paganini Violin Concertos played by Salvatore Accardo, you can hear all the nuances and the right timbre of the violin harmonics, with tremendous dynamic changes at the music passages. Paganini loved the violin harmonics, a reason why at all the six concertos, there are a dedicated part for the harmonics . And when you listen the Concerto No 2 ( La Campanella ) the triangle musical instrument and the violin playing the same pitch note, you can tell when it is the violin and when it is the Triangle. All I can say is that this unit challenges the most expensive preamps on the marketplace on other brands. I really do love what I can hear and enjoy.

Yes, I am biased to this wonderful ET-7 preamp. My system has never gave to me so much love and pleasure, and I am rediscovering all my music. This is only granted with the magic of Conard Johnson goods.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
agathe79
Beginner
Beginner

Post by agathe79 »

Many thanks for your extended reply
I have a Act 2 series 1 and was considering having it upgraded to a series 2 but it is very expensive here in the UK,
Therefore another option I have been given is a ET7 series 2 with my Act 2 traded in
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Agathe79,

Well, sound its a matter of liking. I love simplicity. The ET-7 V2 is exactly that. You can’t go wrong if what do you like is precision.
Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Roberto mate,

Your explanation is spot on and well defined, it should provide Ag79 with plenty of info to decide...

I would like to add:
having used these versions, owned and heard them extensively one way or the other, it's a matter of personal preference.
Currently with what I've done on my CT5 (special upgrade) surpasses the ACT2 series 2, into what can be termed an ACT2 series 3, if there ever was one.
The CT5 and ACT2 use the 6H30Pi tubes, and I feel the Sovteks are one of the best by a far margin, both in terms of reliability as well as musicality.

Then there's the new redefined ET series, which is the Enhanced Triode. The top of the line is the GAT. The ET7 is a superb preamp, all you would ever need in terms of SOTA!

After the new ownership, Mr JF, being the perfectionist that he is, generally likes to take things to another level...
And so now we have the ET7 series 2 and the GAT series 2. Using just One 6922 tube, maintaining parts to a bare minimum with just one gain stage, these preamplifiers are extraordinary!

As Roberto clearly stated, difference in quality is only minor... I would say about 20-25% increase in performance, overall level of musicality remains the same. However, as these preamps evolve onto the series 2, you begin to hear more of the music and less coloration... and this is exactly what an outstanding preamp should do! That is, get out of the way of the music, not interfere with the rest of the signal, only transfer the source signal in its purest form directly onto the power amp, and then onto the speakers. Overall, the resolution and transparency are greater.

The ACT2 series 2 is another superb preamp, and again one that is top of the line and definitely SOTA. That's about all you need in preamplification. At the same time it's no longer made and out of production, although CJ still supports service. The ET7 range is a new breed, an enhanced breed of preamplifiers, allowing you to hear more of the music in its most natural form possible. Also far less tube maintenance, just one tube, compared to four tubes on the ACT2 series.

At the end of the day, I just prefer a slightly golden sound, a bit of coloration, bit more warmth and I have a personal preference for the Sovtek 6H30Pi tube.

Having said that, you Ag79, will have to decide which "type of sound" you prefer? Whether it's the highly refined natural texture and tonality of the new ET7 series, which btw, the ET7S2 actually gets one step closer to the GATS2, or like me do you prefer a bit of caramel sweetness to the flavour?

It also highly depends on your gear and the speakers. If it's a highly revealing speaker system that you have then the ET7 S2 will work perfectly simply because it will pass through all those glorious signals unhindered with profound definition.

With the ACT2 & CT5 preamps, you can custom make the sound you want. For example, with my ACT2 I could get a different sound using tubes from EH, JJs vs Sovteks and so on, then try these different sets out on the series 2 and experience greater resolution with the upgrades...
Of course these units were sold off, and I was looking for something larger, that had a deeper chassis where several mods could be done and further enhanced to some serious level! And so I finally found that CT5.

I will say this though, if I hadn't come across the particular CT5 I was looking for, I would have got either the ET7 or the GAT without any hesitation and that's all she wrote!

However, now CJ is offering these fine preamplifiers that are well capable of competing with preamplifiers costing in ultra high-end, without a doubt!

So, if you do have the chance of going towards this new ET7 series of preamplifiers, by all means audition as much as you can and make the right decision. As our good mate Roberto always says, only YOUR ears can be the final judge, go with what you prefer, and what makes you fully content!

Let us know what you decide on down the track
Cheers mate, RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

agathe79 and RJ,

I have to report to you, that I just bought at Conrad Johnson, a 6922 Genalex Gold Lion, with golden pins. My system love it! This tube is dead noise and offers a warmth that I was searching for. The cymbals melted into my ears, without causing any ear fatigue or ringing. The overall harmonic texture on the strings, violin, viola, viola da gamba, cello, double bass, and the Spanish classical guitar is mmmmmm, a richness that I never had before. RJ, I do know that you love the 6H30, I used it when I had the Reference 5 and the Reference 130...again, my liking is toward this 6922. I do know that you just spent a fortune redoing your CT5...trust me, shorter signal path is the clue.

Yes, liking it is a mater of taste. What I do like, not necessary must be your liking, and vice versa. The good thing is that our ears are telling us that Conrad Johnson really sounds right! The magical experience with this gear is amazing. I am so glad to welcome back to my origins with Conrad Johnson. Life putted me away, and then, putted me back in the right track. I am really enjoying my system as never before.

The wife is watching a lot of movies and TV series, and I, in my batcave, enjoying thousands of great musicians playing for me here...

Happy listening!
OpenD
Regular
Regular

Post by OpenD »

I have had a few CJ preamps over the years. I have also heard an ACT2.

I had the Ct5 and found it a bit dark and hard sounding.

I then moved on to the ET5 which I enjoyed much more, but still felt it was a bit thin and was a bit dry sounding.

I now have the ET7S2 and I couldn’t be happier. It’s a real case of Goldilocks for me.

I never heard the ET7 v1 so I cant comment, but you can’t go wrong with the ET7S2 it is the most analog and non electronic sounding preamp I have ever had the pleasure of listening to (let alone owning).

One thing to clarify, is that like the GAT2, it comes with a 7DJ8 not a 6922 as previously mentioned. I really think a lot of the magic comes from this valve; it has a wider deeper and warmer soundstage than the 6922. I can also say the bass and dynamics on the ET7S2 are on a completely different level and scale to the ET5 and CT5.

Get the ET7S2 you will be extremely happy knowing you have the second best preamplifier in today’s market. I don’t ever want to hear a GAT2!!!!
agathe79
Beginner
Beginner

Post by agathe79 »

Many thanks for all your replies, very informative.
I also have a CJ Premier 140 power amp, is this a good match and what later power amp would people suggests significantly betters the 140,
there are a couple of ArtSa on sale in the UK for "reasonable" used prices
roger
Pro
Pro

Post by roger »

Hey OpenD,
Many thanks for sharing your experience on ET7S2. Quick question - do you recall which brand of the 7DJ8(E88CC) in yours?
Pre amp: ET7 S2
Amp: ART150
D/A: Bricasti M1 SE
Transport/Streamer: Cocktail Audio X50d
Speakers: Wilson Audio Sophia 3
Cables/Interconnect: Transparent Reference MM2 all around
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes Roberto mate,
110% agreed on the Genalex Gold Lions from CJ, basically same tubes I ordered from them, and now fitted on both monoblocks.

My only concern is that over the last two decades, regardless of where I purchase, even the Gold Lions are failing once in awhile, and more often than the old days...
I guess I'll just stick with CJ for now but it's starting to make me think on the reliability factor...

As you have explained in your post, the sound is superb no doubt! I think down the line when I'm not able to bend too low or not that agile, I may have to head back towards SS.
It will be a life changing experience but I guess by then my hearing won't be on par anyway, so might as well just sit back and enjoy those fine tunes for now.

Re. To ET7 vs CT5, like I said before my benchmark in improvement has to be around 40-45% and above. With what I have done on the CT5 and the unique way in which it performs, the ET7S2 is definitely no where near that margin.
I would say, a definite yes, it is an impressive preamp and a good margin of improvement but not 45% more, that's a very high benchmark which is nearly 50%, then I will make the move. So not just yet...

In terms of preamplifiers, it is highly system dependent and what I've done with the gear is totally unique in every way. Heck reducing the monoblocks from 125w to 60w Class A is something to be experienced. Anything above that switches into Class AB. The funny thing is even on most loud passages the average power output is only around 45-50 watts the most. So that 100w rating is never used, it's more to do with headroom, control of transients and holding itself together without distortion and breakup...

Many think that amplifiers and gear distort, not generally the case, it's actually the speakers that distort. If the speakers can handle the power smoothly without any strain and an effortless drive is achieved, you can enjoy the wonderful recordings regardless of volume level.

I'm off the component upgrade wagon for a while until something special comes along and surpasses that benchmark. For now, I just need to find reliable tubes...

As for the OP, investing in the ET7, whether it be a series 1 or 2, is definitely an investment. Just make sure the rest of the gear is up to par.
Cheers, and let us know how it goes.
RJ
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

agathe79 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:00 pm Many thanks for all your replies, very informative.
I also have a CJ Premier 140 power amp, is this a good match and what later power amp would people suggests significantly betters the 140,
there are a couple of ArtSa on sale in the UK for "reasonable" used prices
An ARTsa is definitely a high margin of improvement from the Prem140. Both are fine musical instruments but in this case, the ARTsa was made and designed to replace the Prem140. Several of our CJO members use ARTsa amplifiers and I've also extensively auditioned a very special version fitted with EL34's and the upgrade. Driving the ML Ren15a was in a class of its own!

Take that ARTsa a step further and I'm talking about a similar high margin of improvement, and you have the ART150. This is the margin of improvement in performance I'm referring to, very close to 50% and beyond, an awful lot more dollars but worth the investment if you can afford it.

Small increments of improvement are not worth the extra spend, down the line that will be further improved and upgrade wagon continues... Something truly unique has to evolve like a "statement" product and CJ is very good at this. Whenever they release a statement product, everyone stops, listens and stands up. They're top of the line is truly unique. Hence, the exorbitant spend.

But with extensive experience, research and tapping the right resources addressed by certain legends like Nelson Pass and David Manley, plus a little help from your local tech, you can achieve top of the line performance at a very reasonable cost. It's just a matter of f finding the right parts.

If you can afford an ARTsa in pristine condition go for it! You won't be disappointed at all. On another note, if you can squeeze some hefty dollars and want to get into that untouchable level, the ART150 is your amplifier.

If you really want to up the ante even further, the formidable ART300's are the ultimate. Those are my favourites in all tube design, having won amplifiers of the year, if you get a chance to experience these monoblocks, you will know straight away why they hold the podium.

Cheers and have a good one mate.
RJ
OpenD
Regular
Regular

Post by OpenD »

A055D0EA-4A61-44DE-8BFB-8672CACA2C8F.jpeg
A055D0EA-4A61-44DE-8BFB-8672CACA2C8F.jpeg (2.24 MiB) Viewed 1724 times
roger wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:39 pm Hey OpenD,
Many thanks for sharing your experience on ET7S2. Quick question - do you recall which brand of the 7DJ8(E88CC) in yours?
It’s a Phillips PCC88
roger
Pro
Pro

Post by roger »

OpenD wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:32 pm
A055D0EA-4A61-44DE-8BFB-8672CACA2C8F.jpeg
roger wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:39 pm Hey OpenD,
It’s a Phillips PCC88
Thank you so much OpenD!
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Re. To the tube used in the ET7S2, yes it is this particular Phillips that CJ supplies, along with the GATS2 as well. As OpenD had confirmed this is a fantastic tube and does everything right in terms of twin triode topology.

I was just wondering though... I know of a chap who actually replaced the 6922 tube on his preamp as well as on the power amps LP275m amplifiers. At first there were no issues but later on a significant hum started evolving to the point he switched back to the original 6922 tubes and all was well.

I'm not really sure what happened here but my thinking is that these two types cannot be swapped directly in unless there were a few changes done to the voltage gain and resistor values...

Am I wrong here? Can these tubes actually be changed or is this Phillips type completely different from the E88CC/ 6922 tube? In which case, was that the cause of the high pitch hum?

RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

RJ,
Tubes made in Europe has different nomenclature than the ones that were made in the USA. When a replacement tube is made, there are the charts with their specs...minor differences are allow. Power plate dissipation, the working voltage, and the output impedance are basically the main specs. I do know that there must be other important factors that must be taking care too. Is about the same thing on transistors. the 2N is letting you know it is American made, 2SA, 2SB (for PNP transistors) and 2SC and 2SD (NPN) is the nomenclature for Japan made transistors.

At the tube store, you can find the direct substitution chart for tubes. When you have 6922/E88CC is the American/European made and are the same tube. Specs might vary. If I want to replace a 6922 with a different nomenclature, you must look for the specs of the replacement tube. If they are identical and the tube has more plate dissipation, you are safe, when you have less power dissipation, don't do it. Same for the working voltage and output impedance.

The circuit design is made taking in care for a particular tube specs. A reason why we should use ONLY that tube. You can find different tube nomenclatures, (name or number) being and having the same tube specs.

Happy listening!
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes agreed Roberto mate, thanks for sharing your info, and I've come across these indicators before. As you pointed out correctly different names /types across different countries of origin do have similar specs and some don't, hence the very reason why we need to do careful matching...

Also, what I was wanting to know specifically is whether the 6922/e88cc tube is a direct replacement to the Phillips 7DJ tube that is used in the ET7S2 and GATS2?

This chap did the swap on his ET7 series 1 and the LP275m monoblocks but it didn't work out... why I wanted to check?
In terms of output tubes there were no issues, replacing the 6550c tubes with KT120's was marvelous! But not the case in the input and driver/phase inverter tubes... that is still perplexing.

He sent a note to his Spore dealer and they confirmed not to swap these tubes as they are quite different in values and spec. He wanted to double check with CJ but no reply as yet since he purchased these items used, I don't think CJ has time to reply to every question they're asked.

Let me know what else you advice for these direct replacements. Thanks, RJ
roger
Pro
Pro

Post by roger »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:16 pm Re. To the tube used in the ET7S2, yes it is this particular Phillips that CJ supplies, along with the GATS2 as well. As OpenD had confirmed this is a fantastic tube and does everything right in terms of twin triode topology.

I was just wondering though... I know of a chap who actually replaced the 6922 tube on his preamp as well as on the power amps LP275m amplifiers. At first there were no issues but later on a significant hum started evolving to the point he switched back to the original 6922 tubes and all was well.

I'm not really sure what happened here but my thinking is that these two types cannot be swapped directly in unless there were a few changes done to the voltage gain and resistor values...

Am I wrong here? Can these tubes actually be changed or is this Phillips type completely different from the E88CC/ 6922 tube? In which case, was that the cause of the high pitch hum?

RJ
My friend RJ thanks for the confirmation on the factory tube comes with ET7S2.
In terms of the hum I have something to share. Not for the preamp but for my amp Art150. After I swapped the input drive(v1) from the EH 6922 to Phillips and realized that when I first turn the amp on, for a few minutes there is a very small and subtle buzz coming from the tweeter on my left channel. The buzz will be gone when the amp is warm but randomly popped once in a while during the time when I pause the music. The level of the noise is so small I would not worry unless that become persistent and louder.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Ah ha!
That's what I was talking about. The interesting thing here is that your amp is the ART150, which is a stereo amp. However, in this chaps case, these are the mighty LP275M's, and believe me that hum gets a lot louder...

So for now he's sticking with the original tubes, but still wondering about the 7DJ8... I would certainly like to try it out on my monoblocks but at this point I'm very hesitant.

Let me know what else you find. Thanks for the note
Best RJ
roger
Pro
Pro

Post by roger »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:05 pm Ah ha!
That's what I was talking about. The interesting thing here is that your amp is the ART150, which is a stereo amp. However, in this chaps case, these are the mighty LP275M's, and believe me that hum gets a lot louder...

So for now he's sticking with the original tubes, but still wondering about the 7DJ8... I would certainly like to try it out on my monoblocks but at this point I'm very hesitant.

Best RJ
My friend RJ,
Let me check with my friend who also swapped the input drive to Phillips on his Art150 and see if we can better isolate this issue. More to come...
roger
Pro
Pro

Post by roger »

roger wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:33 pm
Big Dog RJ wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:05 pm Ah ha!

Best RJ
My friend RJ,
Let me check with my friend who also swapped the input drive to Phillips on his Art150 and see if we can better isolate this issue. More to come...
After talking to my friend he indicated that it's a tube based problem. Meaning after he swapped another Phillips the issue should be cured(if you are lucky enough to have the tube that is not noisy). I have two other Phillips I can exchange that could potentially solve this issue. At the moment I will refrain changing that because the hissing hasn't be significant to bother me.