ART amplifier not playing

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

ART amplifier not playing

Post by admin »

So I just bought a beautiful pair of ART amps. Put it all together. Put the tubes back in the same slots as the previous owner had. My left channel is perfect but it seems the right channel is not working. Here is what I have found so far for the right channel monoblock:

No music, regardless of volume.
The amp does seem to be on, the power light is on, bias lights come on and flicker (I tried rebiasing).
There is a very low-level buzz/hum from the speaker, regardless of the volume setting. This buzz is not present on the left channel.
The tubes are getting warm so I don't think it's a blown fuse.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: ART amplifier not playing

Post by AnotherJohnson »

1. Check the fuses any way. Even if they’re not blown, you will have piece of mind knowing that they’re the right type and value.

2. Call Jeff. One phone call to Jeff is worth 1000 posts on this, or any other forum. You will save time AND money.

FWIW, when I got my LP275Ms, they came directly from CJ with new tubes. I still took a week or two to get one of the sorted out. It would have taken longer had I not called Jeff.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Low hanging fruit ... is it a bad interconnect? Swap the interconnects and see if the problem swaps sides.

Is it up stream? Was there a coincidental failure somewhere else in that channel?
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Your were spot on. Messed up my interconnects!!!

Copied from my other post:
Ok, so everything seems to be ok! I spent a lot of time checking on all the tubes and connections to the amp before powering it on in the first place. I spent very little time to confirm that my original RCA preamp to amp connector was correct on the right channel. I was using a 2 channel RCA connector cable previously with the Evolution 2000 as the inputs for both left and right were in close proximity. Of course for these monoblocks, they are now a few feet apart. So I just pulled the left channel connector out of the preamp and kept the right channel the same.... or so I thought.

So stupid of me. I pulled the wrong RCA connector. It's kind of hard to see in the back of my equipment rack as it's close to the wall and the markings on the RCA cable for R/L are somewhat small. As soon as I switched it back, it solved the issue. Thanks for AnotherJohnson's recommendations, they were spot on. I did check the fuse first and it was fine.

When I played that first CD, OH MY GOD.... I've never heard anything sound this good before. I'm obviously going to write a more thorough review once I get a little listening time on the unit but I'm just blown away at the improvement. I was expecting/hoping for a noticable difference but this really exceeded all expectations.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.