ML CLX is going to be discontinued

Amps, preamps, speakers, cables, and any other Non-CJ products.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

ML CLX is going to be discontinued

Post by roberto »

Hola Chicos,

It looks that we are going to have a new model replacing the CLXs, there are only left 7 material to build them and that's it. Here is the news:
Just received some interesting information from my Martin Logan rep. The CLX is set to be discontinued. They have enough to make seven more and that will be it.

I do not know anything about the new model...I will keep you posted.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: ML CLX is going to be discontinued

Post by AnotherJohnson »

It will be interesting to see if the new one is at that $30k msrp.

I wonder if they'll build them to sell as a lot, or if they’ll continue their build as ordered policy.

As good a run as ML have had, they know their bread and butter is in low end to mid-fi Home Theater...

Their high end speakers are wonderful, but that segment of the market can’t be paying the bills. In the US their primary retailer must be Best Buy, and they won’t stock any of the good stuff, even in their Magnolia stores.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wow. Kind of sad to see my "dream speaker" discontinued. At the same time, I hope they release a similarly new and improved version. Hopefully, they keep the price point similar as the price gap between the CLX ($30k) and Neolith ($100k) is very wide and going up significantly from the $30k point is going to knock out all but the ultra-wealthy from the purchase consideration.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

And yet the $350k Wilsons do sell.

I look at them and I see $35k worth of labor, tooling and materials, so they don’t need to sell many.

Moving ML to Canada will affect things too. The ML company of 2020 is definitely different from the ML company of 2010.

Although I can’t get by the fashion statement, I have been surprised at how long beautiful used CLX ARTs have sat with asking prices of $12k and less. I don’t want a pair because I just don’t have the space to fully exploit them ... but I would have happily paid $12k for a used pair had I had the space, yet I seem to have been alone. Or maybe this space issue is real, and folks that have the space go for Zellatons, or Wilsons.

The good news for admin is that, as a discontinued model, the used pairs will slide further, and when he’s upgraded his preamp, the cost to buy CLXs will be in easy reach.

I love ML of 2010. I am hopeful for ML 2020+.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

The gossip says that they are too expensive at this time for build them, so there will be no replacement. "No replacement. I was told that they cost to much to make"

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Maybe they should just raise the price to $60k.

I wonder how many Neoliths they move in a year.

That’s another fashion statement speaker, but everything priced above $20k seems to have its own “look.”

Half the fun seems to be in the visual statement.

I’m sad to hear they’re not replacing them ... but not surprised. 😟
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Life goes on. I’d love to hear a pair of CLX. Always admired from afar.

The several times I’ve heard the Neolith, I was very disappointed. Show setups always sounded terrible, sadly.

I hope there’s an update or maybe slightly smaller model for normal size rooms.

Get ‘em while you can.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, I kind of saw this coming...

From the first point when they introduced the CLS, which was basically their one and only full range stat, the later versions followed promptly with subtle changes and upgrades. Ending in the CLS IIZ, which I did own at the time.
Then things changed, and we as dedicated audiophiles always move on chasing our dreams... Although I did venture off ML's for a while and onto other panels, such as Maggie's and Apogee's, one brand of amplification that always remained as the cornerstone of fine power and finesse, was none other than CJ!

It took a while for ML to revive the full range electrostat, evolving into a radical change, completely different design from top to bottom and sideways- along with some serious quality parts used. Launched in 2008/09, taking the podium of speaker of the year, with unanimous decisions based on overall performance and best in class, ML and team had pretty much perfected the full range stat. They could go no further, unless they were to invest in further R&D plus design and tech and implement something even more phenomenal like the Statements. However, that was a very costly affair, sadly came to an end although still awe-inspiring if you ever get a chance to listen to one.

The main dealer where I secured my CLX's with is now offering the final consignment at nearly double the price compared to 2018, just two years ago. Now the CLX Art goes for 50grand $AUD, that's an awful lot of colourful plastic notes!

I wouldn't be surprised that ML decided to end production by early next year, I think they would probably just focus more on their hybrids. Having the Neoliths is exactly that but I guess the premium cost associated with it is targeted solely to those premium income earners. Back in 2018, the Neoliths were on offer for 140 - 160grand $AUD depending on custom finish. Not even one pair was ever sold! However, quite a few pairs of CLX's were sold and a few are available on the used market as well. If the price of the Neoliths has gone up to 100grand USD then down unda, that would be close to 200grand!

Now that's pure Wilson territory, where the big boys come out to play, YG Acoustics, Pendragons, Genesis Dragons, AG Horns, Vivid Giya speakers, MBLs... that sort of league.

It would be very interesting to see what ML may offer in the near future with regards to another full range stat or even if they were to reconsider introducing a newer version of the CLX's Art series, I'm not sure. Cost vs production- actually making profits and sustaining had always been the challenge no matter how passionate the Chief designer may be towards full range stats. If this wasn't a long term issue to deal with and keep afloat then perhaps the mighty Statements would still be in production, along with that beautiful bird- the Concord! What a legend!

Anyway, cheers to all the legendary people who designed these systems, afterall great thought, effort and most of all true inner passion was put into it, respect!
Cheers, RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Right on RJ,

No matter what, my CLXs are still the best sound possible for the money that they cost for my ears, and I would say even at double price. They do not collapse at high level, and in big rooms where you need high SPL to fill the room. My ears are with this incredible sound of the CLX.

I think that we have a collector's item. And our ears are granted with this superb sound quality. Because of my job, I have to listen a lot of different kinds of electronics and speakers. There are just a few that really had captivated me. The CLXs are my top notch. I just love what they do for good, I do not listen where they don't. What they do good, erase, smoke, disappear what they don't.

I do trust my ears, and I do trust what they are telling me. My liking might be different than many of you. I read once a member that he does not like planar speaker at all, and that's ok, that is his liking, and I do respect that. All I can say is: quality has not regret!

Happy listening!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

roberto wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:12 pm
All I can say is: quality has not regret!
I like Stickley furniture. Most of our stuff is their quarter sawn oak.

At the store in Knoxville they have a sign in their Stickley department that reads something to the effect “if you buy the best, you only cry once.” 😁

This is the same idea as for the CLX.

If I could think of a place to put them, I’d buy a used pair today. I have no doubt that it is the best speaker in their product line. The Classic 9s and the CLX are the only ones in their Masterpiece series that aren’t colored by onboard class D amps.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Good points AJ;

Over here the CLX's are just touching 50grand $AUD and depending on custom finish they can go up to 56grand... that's an awful lot of $$$.
Having no built-in amplifiers does make them purer indeed! That's the beauty of these wonderful stats. Even used pairs are going for close to 20grand in the Aus used market and they're very rare. Someone moving off their CLX's are based on merely two reasons:
1. Didn't have the adequate room or proper setup to generate their true potential
2. Indeed of funds or have two panel type speakers where they can't possibly accommodate two big panels in the same room.

Apart from that, I know a handful who have sold them off are regretting it very much!

It would be interesting to see what ML and their design team come up in the future to meet the gap in full range stats... if at all.
cheers to the CLX Art, a true work of Art!
RJ