CJ Power Cords or Lack Thereof

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
Tuggs
Advanced
Advanced

CJ Power Cords or Lack Thereof

Post by Tuggs »

I've noticed the vast majority of used components for sale (also the few I've owned) do not include the stock CJ power cord, rather they are most often sold with a cheap computer cord. I personally find it irritating and a bit unethical, especially with gear at this level, where it's been well-documented that a CJ factory cord is nigh impossible to beat when used with its associated component.

The latest example is the GAT S2 for sale on USAM for $14.5K. Yep, you guessed it, comes with a cheapo cord so pathetic, the seller didn't mention its inclusion or show it in the "accessories" pic.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CJ Power Cords or Lack Thereof

Post by admin »

I agree that any change or substations from anything that was in the original box should be clearly noted. I can see why some of the older units may not have original cords. Some unit that was made 30 years ago and has maybe exchanged multiple owners,... the cord may have been lost, substituted, or original attached cord replaced by an IEC plug. However, these should clearly be stated in the description of any sale.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

I also agree that not disclosing the absence of the CJ power cord is not ethical and that it happens to be of good quality and works well with the gear. That having been said, I've owned two CJ preamps and two power amps all of Premier level and in all cases they benefited from quality aftermarket power cords in my experience. The usual caveats of in my systems, my associated gear, my preferences, etc.

I would be curious, however, as to the experiences of other members of this forum as it pertains to this topic.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Joe Appierto wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:58 pm
I would be curious, however, as to the experiences of other members of this forum as it pertains to this topic.
I have substituted the original power cord on multiple CJ units I have owned. The differences in sound have admittedly been minor.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I think people leave them out of the deal because they have replaced the original cord with an expensive aftermarket cord that they’d prefer to keep or sell separately.

Although I am perfectly happy with the hospital grade power cords that CJ includes with their better gear these days, at one time I did try several expensive aftermarket cords just to see what the fuss was about.

My local sales guy lets me audition power cords. They, along with interconnects, have HUGE markups at retail. My theory on power cords is that the least intrusive power cord would be a direct 0 length coupling to the house wiring.

With this in mind, I’ve made short cords of Romex of the same gauge as my dedicated 20 ampere amplifier circuits. I’ve never had any Golden Eared listeners note any improvement from this sort of modification.

And, as I mentioned above, I’m perfectly satisfied with the hospital grade cords CJ includes. At one time I discussed at length with CJ, and they were of like mind.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Tuggs
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Tuggs »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:30 am I think people leave them out of the deal because they have replaced the original cord with an expensive aftermarket cord that they’d prefer to keep or sell separately.
Not wanting to part with an expensive aftermarket cord makes sense, but in that case, they should have put the CJ cord back in the box to accompany a future sale.

No, my presumption is they know that it's a good cord, and they decide to keep it to replace a cheesy cord from another component, and throw that one in the CJ box.

I'm probably not helping my odds of not only finding an ACT2 S2, but also insisting it comes with everything as it did new, especially the power cord.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Or, the seller can contact CJ and order a replacement cord from them. I know that's what I did in one case where I sold a piece of CJ equipment of mine and no longer had the original power cord. It was reasonably priced (I think $30 or so) and the buyer received a power cord identical to the one that would have come originally with the unit.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Joe Appierto wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:23 am Or, the seller can contact CJ and order a replacement cord from them. I know that's what I did in one case where I sold a piece of CJ equipment of mine and no longer had the original power cord. It was reasonably priced (I think $30 or so) and the buyer received a power cord identical to the one that would have come originally with the unit.
Yes. This is a good option.

FWIW, because of the absurd markup for aftermarket power cords, they’re being counterfeited in China.

Krell, PS Audio, and others have had their absurdly priced cords copied. And, at least in the case of PS Audio, there are folks actually trying to defend the brand.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.